Cravens - Blue interior???

Rate this topic

Noel

I have acquired a rake of cravens and to say I am pleased with them would be an understatement. Superb bodies.

However, one minor niggle and I presume it's just me, but I find the interior blue seating is a bit gareish. Don't know if its the wrong colour or the old issue of true colours not scaling down without modification. It is annoying me so much I'm going to repaint the interiors to try and loose the cold blue refrigerated look. It just seems to clash with the exterior so much and not what I remember travelling on cravens years ago. I think I will go for a warmer neutral colour that is less stark.

Noel, couldn't agree more. It's a bit 'loud'! It's a job that's on my to do list- would very much appreciate if you took a few photos while you are breaking in to the Cravens! Am a bit nervous of tacking this!

Definitely. Always willing to learn from others in delicate situations. The Cravens would really benefit from slightly less vivid seating - and a few passengers.

Have a look at the photos in this link. It gives an idea of that a difference the painting makes. And it doesn't take long either!

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/397-Carriage-Train-lighting-fitted

The seating colours in those looks much better. I might try that tone of blue and add the washable white head rest covers that were a feature of CIE coaches when I was a child. Like the coach lighting. How much current per coach do they use?

One other disapointing niggle with my new rake of cravens are the ultra reflective mirror like windows. None of my other coaches have plastic windows as reflective and you can clearly see inside the coaches from any viewing angle, but from some angles the craven's reflective windows really spoil the look of the coaches. Has anybody found a way to weather them or make them more satin in appearance (e.g. like Bachmann, Hornby and Dapol coaches which have clear plastic sheets behind the window frames rather than flush glazing plastic which obviously is not flat due to moulding).

• 2 months later...
One other disapointing niggle with my new rake of cravens are the ultra reflective mirror like windows. None of my other coaches have plastic windows as reflective and you can clearly see inside the coaches from any viewing angle, but from some angles the craven's reflective windows really spoil the look of the coaches. Has anybody found a way to weather them or make them more satin in appearance (e.g. like Bachmann, Hornby and Dapol coaches which have clear plastic sheets behind the window frames rather than flush glazing plastic which obviously is not flat due to moulding).

This is just a wild suggestion and I'd take a coach you dislike from your collection to experiment on first…but,

if you've ever had to refurbish old discolored car headlights, you can sand them down with progressively finer sandpaper during which they transition from "OMG, I've completely ruined the flippin' thing!" on the first pass with rough paper, to becoming completely translucent and shining new when the finest paper is used.

If you were to be one paper rougher than 'finished', that it might solve your glare while leaving the windows sufficiently transparent to observe the interiors. I may be trial and error to find the correct finishing grit (if that's the correct term), and you'd have to remove the plastic from the coaches to do it of course. Lot of work but if they're bugging you and you're going to repaint the interiors anyway…..

Edited by DiveController

This is just a wild suggestion and I'd take a coach you dislike from your collection to experiment on first…but,

if you've ever had to refurbish old discolored car headlights, you can sand them down with progressively finer sandpaper during which they transition from "OMG, I've completely ruined the flippin' thing!" on the first pass with rough paper, to becoming completely translucent and shining new when the finest paper is used.

If you were to be one paper rougher than 'finished', that it might solve your glare while leaving the windows sufficiently transparent to observe the interiors. I may be trial and error to find the correct finishing grit (if that's the correct term), and you'd have to remove the plastic from the coaches to do it of course. Lot of work but if they're bugging you and you're going to repaint the interiors anyway…..

Interesting. I'd forgotten about the shiny glazing. Don't notice anymore, but the blue seating has to go.

If you can get your hands on some clear it does a good job of getting rid of the prismatic look on the windows and makes it look like glass. Sanding them sounds a bit extreme and you could end up removing the printed black parts of the glazing unit.

Rich,

Thanks Rich. If you can forgive my ignorance, what is 'clear'? Cheers, Noel

If you can get your hands on some clear it does a good job of getting rid of the prismatic look on the windows and makes it look like glass. Sanding them sounds a bit extreme and you could end up removing the printed black parts of the glazing unit.

Rich,

It's not as extreme as it sounds with a very fine paper, but if there are printed portions on the window that definitely will not work. I did not look at my cravens, I assumed the glass was flat. Like your idea better.

Thanks Rich. If you can forgive my ignorance, what is 'clear'? Cheers, Noel

Johnsons Clear or Klear as it is sometimes called is a floor polish that dries clear. I first became aware of it when a chap was using it on the cockpit canopy of an Airfix kit. After the canopy was dipped in the Clear it was left to dry overnight. When the Clear had dried the plastic looked like glass and amazingly took on the appearance that the glazing was thinner.

I have also used it on attaching nameplates to models. They are still there to this day even having been handled many times. Google Johnsons Clear and it will give you all the info you need. I believe it has been renamed in the USA but the Google search will give you all the answers you need.

Rich,