How to fit front skirt on MM 141/181?

Rate this question

Noel

Question

Hi Guys.

I've been fitting decoders to some of my Murphy 141/181s and decided to detail the front end of each loco by removing the coupling and adding the optional additional detailing.

How should the front skirt be fitted? Does it just push on, and do I need to cut away any of the NEM coupling socket which seems to protrude a little far forward?

Thanks in advance

Noel

PS: Thanks to whoever advised me a few weeks ago not to bother removing the walkway hand rails when prizing the body top off a 141/181, just disconnect the two cab ends. Saved me a lot of fiddling. Used two wooden ice cream sticks to squeeze the body sides at the lugs and then micro flat head to push body sides up 1mm.

Edited by Noel

6 answers to this question

I have found, on a couple(!) of occasions, that it has been necessary to shave tiny bits off the corners of the coupler socket, or they strike the pin-mouldings on the back of of the front skirt insert and then cause the odd derailment. Only happened on two locos out of about a dozen that I know of.

See what happens in your case.

The coupler pulls out Noel allowing you to fit the skirt, you'll see the 2 holes where the skirt fits into.

Thanks, I have the coupler removed, it is the NEM coupler socket that seems just a shade too long

I have found, on a couple(!) of occasions, that it has been necessary to shave tiny bits off the corners of the coupler socket, or they strike the pin-mouldings on the back of of the front skirt insert and then cause the odd derailment. Only happened on two locos out of about a dozen that I know of.

See what happens in your case.

Thanks, that is what I thought but wanted to check before taking out the scalpel. :)

Here's an interesting thread on the subject of 141 couplings.... :tumbsup:

http://www.irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/527-Improving-the-looks-for-MM-141-181

That is fantastic. Thanks for digging that thread out. I might try this with the other end of the loco and put the standard coupling back in. As the 141/181s are so short having the coupling fixed to the body rather than the bogie should be fine. Many thanks all for replies. Running in 183 as I type.

UPDATE: Skirt fitted ok after shaving 1/2mm off the front of the coupling socket. :)

Edited by Noel

Thanks, that is what I thought but wanted to check before taking out the scalpel. :)

The gap, if it exists, is very slight - sometimes it's enough, sometimes not. I had to remove a tiny amount on one, and a little bit more on the other. Try your locos a few times in both directions through your shortest left- and right-handed points and the tightest curves - if they survive, you should be OK.

You only need to shave the very outside corner of the coupling socket, nothing that will affect the location dimensions, should you ever wish to replace the coupling later on.