NIR mk2 DBSO

Rate this topic

Liverbird81

just found a website called Britana Pacific who do a great model of the Ex Gatwick DBSO none in NIR livery but still lol bit pricey at £85 but a nice addition for all the NIR modellers out there have sent an email for info on reduced price for a non painted model will keep this post updated when they reply

Over the years I have done a number of scratch conversions of Scotrail DBSOs from Airfix Mk2d Brake 2nd coaches, plus an NIR Gatwick DBSO currently under construction. Imagine my delight when DC Kits produced a kit. Much easier to build, I thought. Wrong. The moulding has been taken from an Airfix Mk2d conversion using a whitemetal conversion kit, which was not done well at all, even the profile of the whitemetal side panels did not match the profile of the Airfix coach sides. I had seen this conversion done years before I attempted my own first conversion, and vowed then I would never use the whitemetal kit. Imagine my dismay when I recognised the DC Kits kit to be a copy of what I had vowed to avoid. In the amount of time wasted in rectifying the many built in faults, including distortion in the moulding (comparison with other kits on the shelf revealed they all had the same problems) I could easily have done another conversion. It has to be the worst kit I have ever built. At one point I even considered chucking it in the bin. However, I persevered, completed the kit and promptly sold it for what I paid for it.

Airfix Mk2d scratch conversion. My other one is sound fitted.

DSC01907.JPG

• Like 1

Maybe Bachmann might produce the East Anglia DBSO in the future to add to the Corridor ones being produced in the first batch of releases in the MK11F range. The retailers have combined to have limited editions produced in the past, they might do it again if the correct DBSO is produced

Rich,

Over the years I have done a number of scratch conversions of Scotrail DBSOs from Airfix Mk2d Brake 2nd coaches, plus an NIR Gatwick DBSO currently under construction. Imagine my delight when DC Kits produced a kit. Much easier to build, I thought. Wrong. The moulding has been taken from an Airfix Mk2d conversion using a whitemetal conversion kit, which was not done well at all, even the profile of the whitemetal side panels did not match the profile of the Airfix coach sides. I had seen this conversion done years before I attempted my own first conversion, and vowed then I would never use the whitemetal kit. Imagine my dismay when I recognised the DC Kits kit to be a copy of what I had vowed to avoid. In the amount of time wasted in rectifying the many built in faults, including distortion in the moulding (comparison with other kits on the shelf revealed they all had the same problems) I could easily have done another conversion. It has to be the worst kit I have ever built. At one point I even considered chucking it in the bin. However, I persevered, completed the kit and promptly sold it for what I paid for it.

Airfix Mk2d scratch conversion. My other one is sound fitted.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15534[/ATTACH]

Id agree with DC kits/Silverfox being very hit and miss. Never forget seeing the Silverfox model of the prototype diesel locos Lion and Falcon, you could just see the Lima Class 47's in the mouldings......

Dc kits no longer have the kit, discontinued its nice lookin but I really do urge you all to check out Britannia Pacific Models and he is happy to make up The NIR DBSO I don't know how much silverfox charged Britannia Pacifics version is £85 but I must say they look a lot better factory finish to be fair