New Enterprise Livery

Rate this topic

Yes, it would be cheaper and maybe better to have some kids design it. Usually a couple of million waste with this nonsense.

I think both the retro white livery and the present livery still look great on Aer Lingus

Ah, they are only trains. Not worth loosing sleep over. sleeping.gif

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting fact: The enterprise is one of the slowest intercity services in the world, well, so I was told ;)

Problem with the rails it's running on rather than the rolling stock, I think. Hard to have an appealing service when it's quicker to get there on the motorway

Sure it's the lowest top speed rated intercity train in Ireland.:(( Makes up for it in comfort I suppose.

… if you don't get a pressure sore on your buttock waiting to get there:D

That's the problem with intercity trains in Ireland in general. They are all too slow to compete with road. Belfast to Derry, the Enterprise, Dublin to Tralee, Waterford, Rosslare, Westport..... Hmm.

Yes the new motorway network has pretty much sealed the fate of intercity rail travel in Ireland and severely limited pax numbers as a result. I have to say Belfast to Londonderry route is one of the most scenic lines in the country on a nice bright day. The main problem is Heuston's isolation both by road and by rail. It adds an hour to the door to door travel time making the motorways even more attractive. Even by road it is faster to get to Cork via motorway from Heuston than by train, how daft is that in the 21st century. The UK mainland has had HST 125mph rail travel since 1975, 40 years later and we've only got 100mph on sections of the Cork line, and a business class service that sells disgusting food in bags off a trolley, and now they have got rid of all the trains and replaced them with plastic buses on rails that shake your bones till your teeth clatter. The seats in the 22k's are the most uncomfortable trains I have ever travelled on.

Yes the new motorway network has pretty much sealed the fate of intercity rail travel in Ireland and severely limited pax numbers as a result. I have to say Belfast to Londonderry route is one of the most scenic lines in the country on a nice bright day. The main problem is Heuston's isolation both by road and by rail. It adds an hour to the door to door travel time making the motorways even more attractive. Even by road it is faster to get to Cork via motorway from Heuston than by train, how daft is that in the 21st century. The UK mainland has had HST 125mph rail travel since 1975, 40 years later and we've only got 100mph on sections of the Cork line, and a business class service that sells disgusting food in bags off a trolley, and now they have got rid of all the trains and replaced them with plastic buses on rails that shake your bones till your teeth clatter. The seats in the 22k's are the most uncomfortable trains I have ever travelled on.

I'm guessing you've never travelled on a Virgin Voyager then. The worst train I've ever been on. Personally I find the 22k's the best diesel unit I've ever been in with good seats and nice air feel. Much better seats and ride comfort than the CAF Mark IV coaches which are awful in almost every way. Both well behind the De Deitrich's though. I really hope they dont ruin them in the refurb.

I'm guessing you've never travelled on a Virgin Voyager then. The worst train I've ever been on. Personally I find the 22k's the best diesel unit I've ever been in with good seats and nice air feel.

I also like the 22s, although I didn't really want to. The Voyagers, or Vomitters as they are generally known over here, are truly hideous in every way.

I totally agree, Noel, you're spot on on all counts. Mind you the most uncomfortable things ever to (dis)grace the rails here were the noisy, fume filled rattling vibrating UTA / NIR "MED" sets, and the 450 "Castle" class, especially in the equally vibrating driving car, as they switched from one of their two speeds ("stop") to the other, "go"!

The BUT cars were comfortable as were the AECs, though power cars could again be noisy.

To be fair to the modern railcars, as utterly soulless and bland as they are, the power cars don't rattle and vibrate like their ancestors.

I'm comparing more with swiss, french, and italian trains. The only UK trains I have used in recent years have been the tunnel, the Heathrow express and HST125 on west country routes.

I've travelled on French, German and Italian trains in recent years (as well as British of course) and they've all been electric. I think it's a tad unfair to compare them with diesel power in this case, but even so despite all of the above being very impressive the 22ks are quite decent in my book too for what they are. I also dont get this 'plastic' argument bandied about by people, it's certainly not something the everyday commuter cares about and they're the ones paying the fares. All they want is for the train to be on time and comfortable which the 22ks are. It's a pity that IE havent managed to get the capacity aspect right at peak times yet though but that's not the fault of the train itself.

I totally agree, Noel, you're spot on on all counts. Mind you the most uncomfortable things ever to (dis)grace the rails here were the noisy, fume filled rattling vibrating UTA / NIR "MED" sets, and the 450 "Castle" class, especially in the equally vibrating driving car, as they switched from one of their two speeds ("stop") to the other, "go"!

To be fair to the modern railcars, as utterly soulless and bland as they are, the power cars don't rattle and vibrate like their ancestors.

Hmmm...that's not how I remember the MEDs...to me, they were quiet, bright, clean and modern, and we usually favoured riding in the power cars, as as you had a view ahead (provided the driver didn't pull down the blinds) especially after they lost the first class section, up front. The 450 Class power cars, now that was a rattle-fest on wheels.

As for the MPDs and their reputation for unreliability, well, while we were regular travellers during holidays only, we never had any problems with MPDs. Except for one summer ride home from Portrush to York Road. A bunch of football fans got on at Ballymena or thereabouts and from that point on, until some police came over the fields and joined the train where it had halted nearer Belfast, we were stopping frequently due to the beggars pulling the communication cord.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It looks great on that model, it's very hard to do right. The livery on the real thing is still no finished as the Enterprise logo has yet to be applied to any of the locos so far.

Also I believe 227 and 231 will no longer be part of the Enterprise fleet. 228 is replacing withdrawn 230 otherwise it would have been dropped too. 233 has yet to be overhauled.

Presumably any 201 can be hitched up now that HEP is no longer needed?

No - if you look at this picture ( 8208 at Heuston, 22/9/15), that box is for the Train Management System (TMS). Without it, the driver in the 201 cannot communicate with the rest of the train. Plus you've got all the NIR Safety Equipment, such as AWS, TPWS, Train Radio etc.

Aclass007 is correct - 201-205/210-214 are all out of service for a number of years now

Presumably any 201 can be hitched up now that HEP is no longer needed?

No, in fact now only locos with the new electrical jumper socket installed at the no.2 cab end can work the new Enterprise stock. The locos also have to have the new MMI screens installed in the cab to work the stock too.

Even though 227 and 231 have all the NIR gear installed they are not getting the new jumper outlet of MMI screen installed.