Cultra Model Railway Day

Rate this topic

Dunluce Castle

Saturday 8th November,

Keep this date free in your diarys, "Ireland's biggest one day model railway exhibition will feature over 30 railway layouts and associated exhibits." It's one not to be missed!

Many layouts including Bleach Green, Lisburn, ballyclare and for the first time Rowlands Castle, a southern railway layout based during WW2 in preparation for D-Day.

Website: http://www.nmni.com/uftm/What-s-on/Events/Model-Railway-Day

Exhibition Programe: http://www.nmni.com/Documents/UFTM/Model-Railway-Programme-2014

Cultra Model Railway Day

May we, Perth and District Model Railway Club wish you; Cultra Model Railway Day, a successful and enjoyable day. We remember with enthusiasm our visit of two years ago with Old Blarney. You never know, I may get a gang of us to travel over on the 8th!!

Fondest regards,

David J. White.

You never know, I may get a gang of us to travel over on the 8th!!

Fondest regards,

David J. White.

Well, he's coming, as am I, so if you want to pick up any Provincial Wagons stuff, you'll find me around Bleach Green, where I'll be gloating over the sight of twenty of my spoil wagons between two 2-6-4 tanks, as seen in 1966!

I can't overtly sell, but I will have small supplies of my wagons, both RTR and kits available to pick up / purchase. Please let me know in advance and I'll reserve wagons / kits for you.

If you can't resist the spoil wagons, I'll have some kits available for you to take away on the day!

Do call and say hallo!

Leslie (and young White!).

Wow! Some lovely layouts on display there, and Bleach Green is looking superb, has really matured! I love that Southern layout aswell, just oozing character.

Bleach Green looking good - but the running was terrible. Need to level it out next time as it was uneven. Pity

Possibly the last outing for Rowlands Castle too - done plenty of travelling around the UK. Depends if it sells or not

Nelson

Thanks for putting the video up, as I can now aim Michael at it to see his wagons "in action" - better than any photo! Thanks, too, to Patrick Davey, for the super jigs to go with the film!

Blaine, I think a lot of Bleach Green's problems were a single Class WT which was very sick for some reason. Personally, I found the layout (first time I'd seen it in the flesh) very evocative. Well worth the £200 odd it cost to come over to see it!

Congrats all round.

Leslie

Missed it again, darnit! Loved the super BUT set on Bleach Green, I presume one of Colm's. And the spoil wagons...and that D-Day SR layout...great excuse to combine trains with Churchills, Shermans, carriers etc.

Ivor

I'm sorry you missed it too, as I've been looking forward to meeting my premier coaching engineer for a long time! Some of your coaches are roaring round my loft in fine style twelve years on!

Leslie

Ivor

I'm sorry you missed it too, as I've been looking forward to meeting my premier coaching engineer for a long time!

Leslie

Ditto Leslie, one of these days...!

AND I just realized the maroon and grey BUT set in the video clip was one I made for Steve Rafferty back in the day...recognised it from the still pic Colm posted over at RM web...so I missed meeting Steve after all these years too!!! :(

Ditto Leslie, one of these days...!

AND I just realized the maroon and grey BUT set in the video clip was one I made for Steve Rafferty back in the day...recognised it from the still pic Colm posted over at RM web...so I missed meeting Steve after all these years too!!! :(

Yep, Ivor, and Steve was driving it around himself. I've just supplied him with your "AEC Owner's Manual" (which you did for my "proper" AEC set), so he can work out how to remove the Triang motor bogie and replace it with a Black Beetle!

Maybe you'll appear at Bangor?

Yep, Ivor, and Steve was driving it around himself. I've just supplied him with your "AEC Owner's Manual" (which you did for my "proper" AEC set), so he can work out how to remove the Triang motor bogie and replace it with a Black Beetle!

Maybe you'll appear at Bangor?

Hope so Leslie if I remember to screw my head on that particular day! How did you find the Black Beetle? I remember not being greatly impressed by its pulling power. Not sure a single one would manage the six car set in Colm's pic that the old Tri-ang unit is apparently hauling uphill, (IIRC without extra pickups too, which would likely have improved any issues with running); the big advantage being it fits under the bodyshell so no need to mount it in the brake coach, as in Steve's model. Plus it's not quite as ancient/worn. Anyway nice to see model, motor bogie and owner are still on the go!

• 2 weeks later...

The "Black Beetle" power units work fine in my 3 car MED set, which has brass underframes and is quite heavy, including over the 1 in 50 gradients on Bleach Green (provided you drive it sensibly!) - but I do not think a single one would pull/push a 6 car set; on my 5/6 car MPD set I use two units. I have run up to a 5 car set which is free running on the flat on my home layout, but that is pushing it a bit. Some of the latest Hornby style power bogie units are very smooth and powerful due to the traction tyres, though they need plenty of pickups, and of course, like the old one, stick up into the "passenger" areas! In fact my little BNCR 4-40 compound is propelled by two MR style brown vans, one of which has pickups, the other the power bogie, and it can pull a much "heavier" train of modern bogie coaches than the real thing would have done!

62 and train #1.jpg

I was quite pleased that Steve's BUT set with coarse scale Tri-ang style wheels ran OK through Scaleway points.

Colm

• 2 months later...

Yes many thanks for the great video clips Nelson. And it did my heart good to see that the UTA ex-GNR AEC set I built 20 years ago for Steve Rafferty, like the BUT ones, is still in commission and running, and in such illustrious surroundings as 'Bleach Green'.

Ivor