My first coach repaint to CIE livery

Rate this topic

Noel

Another old rolling stock item dug out from storage

Please don't slag too much :) My first repaint to CIE colours - over four decades ago when I was about 12 or 13

I was desperate to have some Irish trains to run so decided to repaint my LMS train set coaches

Hand painted Triang LMS coach - I actually remember mixing multiple samples of humbrol paints and test patches to try and get a reasonable CIE tan colour. Can't believe I hand painted the white lining - My hands couldn't manage that anymore.

TriangHornbyCoachRepaint.jpg

It used to look like this LMS toy coach - a lot better (not my photo)

1372895_121019060400_DSCF6698.jpg

The actual body shell seems a prototypical botch job, a sort of mk1 shell with makey up side panels pretending to be old world LMS. Don't think any such coach actually ever existed. What will I do with this now? Could convert it into an imaginary presidential coach. I vividly remember seeing President Childers sitting comfortably in an armchair on the then presidential coach about to depart Heuston station some time in the early 1970s, but that was a much earlier style coach and shorter.

Edited by Noel

nice job there - whats next?

Well I promise not to wait over 40 years before the next paint job! :) Was about 12yo when that botch was done.

What's next for me is foam blocks and modelling plaster to get some landscaping done on 'Kingsbridge', then paint, scatter, and may attempt some static grass.

Edited by Noel

looks good to me! as good as my recent efforts at resprays ...oh and I am heading for 40 soon . So if you were that good around 12 well then you are laughing now! Fair play . it is nice to see modelling history. I wont show you my airfix cattle wagon kit build from years back...

Have to agree with the lads Noel. It looks like a job well done, especially the white line. Put the weight in the coach and run it with your other stock - it will look great.

Thanks guys. (slightly embarrassed). It has great personal nostalgia value so I will run it despite its odd prototypical pedigree. :) I'll put some weight in it and change the wheels. It may inspire me to repaint these LMS Staniers which are close enough to CIE laminates in appearance. But I'll learn to use a spray gun and masking tape this time.

LMS Stanier as donors for CIE Black and Tan laminate stock

IMG_4428.jpg

Those LMS coaches would actually pass muster even better as Bredins... a good few of which were still in traffic in the 70s. Last one I travelled in was as late as 1976 or 1977.

Thanks, that's interesting cause I have a lot of them in 'Corrination Blue' livery which could make suitable donors both for olive green livery and B&T. I travelled a lot on them too in the 60s and early 70s. After watching some Irish Railways DVDs I'm beginning to think I may need more Bredins and Park Royals than Cravens for the Kingsbridge layout.

81XERR-%2B9ZL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks guys. (slightly embarrassed). It has great personal nostalgia value so I will run it despite its odd prototypical pedigree. :) I'll put some weight in it and change the wheels. It may inspire me to repaint these LMS Staniers which are close enough to CIE laminates in appearance. But I'll learn to use a spray gun and masking tape this time.

LMS Stanier as donors for CIE Black and Tan laminate stock

IMG_4428.jpg

Well done Noel, & thank you, I knew I got my LMS Staniers 12mths ago for some reason, all I have to do now is plan their renewal, & while I'm on here, what are " Bredins.." :tumbsup:

Edited by burnthebox

The basic body shape of those LMS coaches and the Bredins were not dissimilar. The main difference was that main line Bredins usually had centre doors with a loo either side.

Originally lined GSR maroon, then CIE dark Brunswick green, then light green (never silver - that was only for new builds late 50s) then black'n'tan.

The actual body shell seems a prototypical botch job, a sort of mk1 shell with makey up side panels pretending to be old world LMS. Don't think any such coach actually ever existed.

Noel

Your coach was Hornby's pretty awful repaint of their Caledonian Railway coach - they did two (a compo and a brake third) to run with their Caley 123 loco. The original version was in a reasonable attempt at the Caledonian's coach livery.

I had considered repainting them in mahogany as a cheap and cheerful GNR panelled coach - but never did. 33lima built me half a dozen fifteen years ago which are still thundering round the loft behind my Class WT.

Like the others - I commend you for your handiwork when you were twelve!

Leslie

The coach came in a set with LMS Princess Elizabeth loco which had a working smoke generator.

Noel, I have only now realised now what I have been holding onto, I had been planning to sell the coaches & the loco, ( smoke gen. et all ) & I was actually looking forward to that sale, happy days, :banana:

• 2 years later...
Another old rolling stock item dug out from storage

Please don't slag too much :) My first repaint to CIE colours - over four decades ago when I was about 12 or 13

I was desperate to have some Irish trains to run so decided to repaint my LMS train set coaches

Hand painted Triang LMS coach - I actually remember mixing multiple samples of humbrol paints and test patches to try and get a reasonable CIE tan colour. Can't believe I hand painted the white lining - My hands couldn't manage that anymore.

db88e775-fa04-48ef-aec7-a1d3ea2a72d0.jpg

The actual body shell seems a prototypical botch job, a sort of mk1 shell with makey up side panels pretending to be old world LMS. Don't think any such coach actually ever existed. What will I do with this now? Could convert it into an imaginary presidential coach. I vividly remember seeing President Childers sitting comfortably in an armchair on the then presidential coach about to depart Heuston station some time in the early 1970s, but that was a much earlier style coach and shorter.

A bit of fun comparing re-paints. :)

1974 brush painted (not 100% sure if it was 1972 or 1974)

TriangHornby_My1stCIEcoach.jpg

2017 recent respray training

DSC_8976.jpg

Both side by side. Recent 2017 respray to CIE livery on left, 1974 hand repaint to CIE livery on right

DSC_8977.jpg

This captures exactly the atmosphere of the period. Rakes of carriages with no two alike, and no two in the same state of wear and tear, were absolutely the norm throughout the black'n'tan era.

Our "two foot rule" (the meaning of the expression only being explained to me the other day!) applies here perfectly.

The carriage may be far from authentic but it certainly looks right, especially with the other with it. It actually bears a vague resemblance to the most recently built MGWR bogie stock just before GSR times. Some of these lasted into CIE days, though probably not black'n'tan times - but they could have, and it certainly looks right for its environment.

And it's a very fine paint job indeed for a 12 year old.

Brilliant stuff.

(Now all ye need is brown chassis on those goods vans!) ;-)

Edited by jhb171achill

Well done Noel, you dug up some interesting photos, mind telling me exactely how you got that white line looking sooooo good, TIA. Paul

Which white line? If the 1972 model - paint brush in the steady hands of a child with a child's eye sight to match, if the 2017 model, reverse masking using 2mm tape. :)

This captures exactly the atmosphere of the period. Rakes of carriages with no two alike, and no two in the same state of wear and tear, were absolutely the norm throughout the black'n'tan era.

Our "two foot rule" (the meaning of the expression only being explained to me the other day!) applies here perfectly.

The carriage may be far from authentic but it certainly looks right, especially with the other with it. It actually bears a vague resemblance to the most recently built MGWR bogie stock just before GSR times. Some of thes lasted into cie days, though probably not black'n'tan times - but they could have, and it certainly looks right for its environment.

And it's a very fine paint job indeed for a 12 year old.

Brilliant stuff.

Thanks for the encouragement JB. I'll sleep easy tonight. BTW, an adjunct to the '2ft rule' is the added bonus of over 40s eye sight - wouldn't see a rivet at any distance without a magnifying glass :)

(Now all ye need is brown chassis on those goods vans!) ;-)

I aim to please - gungey brown chassis weathered below. I'm gradually getting to eradicate black chassis from all our wagons. :) Applying CIE decals tonight from SSM using decal fix.

IMG_1397.jpg

Which white line? If the 1972 model - paint brush in the steady hands of a child with a child's eye sight to match, if the 2017 model, reverse masking using 2mm tape. :)

Well Noel to begin I have to say a quick look at the pc of the two side by side sees YOU ON TOP of the old coach, PAINT BRUSH IN HAND doing what you do best now I know nothing about Reverse Asking Tape !!! Can you explain please,

Paul

Well Noel to begin I have to say a quick look at the pc of the two side by side sees YOU ON TOP of the old coach, PAINT BRUSH IN HAND doing what you do best now I know nothing about Reverse Asking Tape !!! Can you explain please,

Paul

Well Paul, I know little myself about 'reverse asking', but it sounds like a technique how I get out of something my dear wife has asked me to do around the house! :) Now as to 'reverse masking' I only picked up this tip myself recently from some of the talented and experienced folk on the forum and over on RMweb.

Basically instead of two parallel masks to create white stripe (very difficult to keep absolutely straight and parallel), use one piece of masking exactly the width of the required strip to cover over white paint already applied, paint over the lot (reverse masking the white to keep addicted colour off it). Hope this makes sense.

1. Spray white paint roughly where it will be on the model (no masking needed) (top coach)

2. When dry (48hrs) put masking tape over the white paint where the stripe will be (bottom coach)

IMG_1441.jpg

3. Then air brush the model including over the masking tape which is hiding the white (you can just see the tape under the black on this pic)

IMG_1390.jpg

4. After about 4 hours of drying pull off the thin masking tape strip to reveal the white under neath

IMG_1398.jpg

To save one lot of masking, after masking off the white why not spray the tan colour first before the black, then all you have to do is mask the tan and spray the black.

Well DV I thought that's what he did !!! But then what do I know, I'm sure he'll be on here very soon to tell, ths is great fun finding out how to spray, & I don't have a spray gun setup.... but the cans used correctly can ( no pun ) do the job...

Well DV I thought that's what he did !!! But then what do I know, I'm sure he'll be on here very soon to tell, ths is great fun finding out how to spray, & I don't have a spray gun setup.... but the cans used correctly can ( no pun ) do the job...

No BTB, what Noel did was:-

1. Undercoat the coach with grey primer.

2. Spray white at the top of the coach.

3. Mask the white with narrow masking tape.

4. Mask the bottom grey below the windows with masking tape.

5. Spray window area and roof with black.

6. Remove all masking tape to leave white top, black window surrounds, black roof, and grey bottom.

7. Mask the bottom of the black below the windows.

8. Spray the tan.

9. Remove the masking to reveal a very neat finish to the coach.

My suggestion was to do steps 1 to 3 & miss out step 4.

5. Spray the tan to give a good even coat on the bottom of the side.

6. Mask the top of the tan below the windows, and spray the black on the side & roof.

7. Remove all the masking to reveal a very neat finish to the coach.

The same excellent result with one less masking step.

No BTB, what Noel did was:-

1. Undercoat the coach with grey primer.

2. Spray white at the top of the coach.

3. Mask the white with narrow masking tape.

4. Mask the bottom grey below the windows with masking tape.

5. Spray window area and roof with black.

6. Remove all masking tape to leave white top, black window surrounds, black roof, and grey bottom.

7. Mask the bottom of the black below the windows.

8. Spray the tan.

9. Remove the masking to reveal a very neat finish to the coach.

My suggestion was to do steps 1 to 3 & miss out step 4.

5. Spray the tan to give a good even coat on the bottom of the side.

6. Mask the top of the tan below the windows, and spray the black on the side & roof.

7. Remove all the masking to reveal a very neat finish to the coach.

The same excellent result with one less masking step.

Hi Dhu Varren.

Thanks, that's another really great tip. Will try next time. I only thought of it afterwards. One thought did cross my mind though was had there been any masking bleed, would it have been easier for me to touch up the black or the tan colour with a paint brush afterwards (i.e. black being darker)?

A very tricky one is now facing me, to add both tippex white lines to a mk2d super train EGV to convert it to IE/IR EGV livery. The white lining is only 3" in real life which would be 1mm in 1/76 scale. It looks like I will have to remove the roof and all the black grip rails and handles from the coach sides. It will be tricky to use two masking tapes and leave exactly 1mm between them. Reverse masking not an option as the coach is already painted, but if I make a dogs ear of it, I'll have no option but to do a full respray, and then reverse mask using 1mm tape will come into play (and while I'm at it paint the correct deeper shade of orange for ST era).

Noel