My first coach repaint to CIE livery

Rate this topic

Noel

How about this?

1. Undercoat the coach with white primer.

2. Mask the white with 2mm masking tape.

3. Spray the tan.

4. Mask the tan and spray the black on the side & roof

5. Remove all masking tape

6. (optional) Spray Clear Satin varnish for that "fresh from the Inchicore wash" look.

Edited by Weshty

A very tricky one is now facing me, to add both tippex white lines to a mk2d super train EGV to convert it to IE/IR EGV livery. The white lining is only 3" in real life which would be 1mm in 1/76 scale. It looks like I will have to remove the roof and all the black grip rails and handles from the coach sides. It will be tricky to use two masking tapes and leave exactly 1mm between them.

Noel, my answer to Tippex stripes is to use an A4 sheet of inkjet white transfer paper. Using a PC, mark out 1mm strips on an A4 page and print to the transfer sheet. Slice the transfer sheet along the printed lines with a sharp blade, or guillotine. Apply to the coach sides using Micro Sol, or such like, to softer the transfer to conform to any raised features. Using an Inkjet printer, any of the marked lines left will wash off the transfer stripes, a laser printed sheet will not. A coat of varnish on the finished coach will protect the stripes and give a uniform finish.

Noel, my answer to Tippex stripes is to use an A4 sheet of inkjet white transfer paper. Using a PC, mark out 1mm strips on an A4 page and print to the transfer sheet. Slice the transfer sheet along the printed lines with a sharp blade, or guillotine. Apply to the coach sides using Micro Sol, or such like, to softer the transfer to conform to any raised features. Using an Inkjet printer, any of the marked lines left will wash off the transfer stripes, a laser printed sheet will not. A coat of varnish on the finished coach will protect the stripes and give a uniform finish.

Thanks DV

Hmm :confused: I'm probably missing something but I thought 'inkjet' printers cannot print the colour white. Railtec and I think SSM sell waterslide transfer sheets with various depths of white stripes for coach lining, is this what you suggest using? I guess applying a 1mm wide transfer thats the length of a coach could be quite tricky, but would something like humbrol decal fix help buy time to adjust the strip into position and ensure it is absolutely dead straight. I guess the transfer including the transparent bit could be 2mm wide with the 1mm white strip along the centre with 0.5m either side to make it wide enough to handle and get off the backing paper.

Noel

Edited by Noel

What's a "Micro Sol" Dhu Varren?? I tried to apply some lining from Railtec to a Mark 2 Super train Gen Van but I had trouble trying to keep the lines straight & also getting them to stay on! I'm interested in hearing from you guys the best way of doing this procedure...

Thanks DV

Hmm :confused: I'm probably missing something but I thought 'inkjet' printers cannot print the colour white. Noel

You are quite right Noel, inkjet printers cannot print white. It is the transfer paper that is white. Transfer papers can be either clear or white.

The coach in the picture has a one piece decal with the blue printed on to white decal paper. All the white showing is bare decal paper. In this case, the paper used was white transfer sheet for laser printers.

IMG_2210.jpg

What's a "Micro Sol" Dhu Varren?? I tried to apply some lining from Railtec to a Mark 2 Super train Gen Van but I had trouble trying to keep the lines straight & also getting them to stay on! I'm interested in hearing from you guys the best way of doing this procedure...

Micro Sol and Micro Set are decal fixing fluids which soften decals to help them conform to raised features like door hinges and handles, and also improve adhesion. They are similar to Humbrol Decalfix, but I find them better.

I agree it can be difficult to get lines straight, but keeping them moist and careful jabbing with a moist firm paint brush can knock them into position.

You are quite right Noel, inkjet printers cannot print white. It is the transfer paper that is white. Transfer papers can be either clear or white.

The coach in the picture has a one piece decal with the blue printed on to white decal paper. All the white showing is bare decal paper. In this case, the paper used was white transfer sheet for laser printers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27404[/ATTACH]

Ah, Comprende. :) Many thanks DV, that makes perfect sense. Noel

Hi Dhu Varren.

Thanks, that's another really great tip. Will try next time. I only thought of it afterwards. One thought did cross my mind though was had there been any masking bleed, would it have been easier for me to touch up the black or the tan colour with a paint brush afterwards (i.e. black being darker)?

A very tricky one is now facing me, to add both tippex white lines to a mk2d super train EGV to convert it to IE/IR EGV livery. The white lining is only 3" in real life which would be 1mm in 1/76 scale. It looks like I will have to remove the roof and all the black grip rails and handles from the coach sides. It will be tricky to use two masking tapes and leave exactly 1mm between them. Reverse masking not an option as the coach is already painted, but if I make a dogs ear o

f it, I'll have no option but to do a full respray, and then reverse mask using 1mm tape will come into play (and while I'm at it paint the correct deeper shade of orange for ST era).

Noel

Hi DV & Noel & many thanks, this might get me to start / attempt some kind of painting / respraying in the coming weeks....

Here is a tip that might be worth trying for masking up a 1mm line. I used the method a number of years ago with great success.

Stick a length of masking tape onto a piece of glass, or a mirror. With a sharp blade, make two cuts 1mm apart down the middle of the tape. Remove the 1mm strip.

Stick a piece of clear tape (I use low tack) over the top of the remaining strips of masking tape, and pull off all three pieces of tape from the glass ensuring they stay together.

Apply the tape to the coach side with the 1mm gap where you want it. Once in place carefully remove the clear tape, and smooth the masking tape to ensure a sound edge for painting.

I love that NIR set. Would really like to have an early/mid 90s mixed NIR Mk2 set with all the accurate markings and numbers, big project I know. NIR's Mk2s always really interested me.

Without wanting to hijack Noel's thread, here is a link to a thread I did a couple of years ago on NIR Mk 2s. http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/4163-NIR-Mk-2-Coaches