Shorter couplings for MM Cravens and Mk2s?

Rate this question

Noel

Question

Hi Folks

Being a relatively recent returnee to the hobby I am well out of date on model technology like couplings. As I understand it most products nowadays including Murphy models use an NEM type coupling. My questions is are there shorter versions one can purchase for use on coaches that will run on large radius curves? It would get the coaches a lot closer to get there.

Cheers

Noel

Threads merged.

Thanks Patrick. I had searched a few times using advanced search, but as word 'kadee' was not in the thread title I didn't find this.

Thanks Eoin

That great. We did indeed two years ago. :) I couldn't remember if it was here it was discussed before or over on RMweb. By chance I was just using the razor saw to do as you have recommended in that thread. With the 'play' in kadees I'm beginning to wonder if they are worth the hassle, and with so many suppliers incorrect heights.

Thanks again. Noel

Bizarre that the IE/IR livery have different size pockets to the CIE livery cravens.

IMG_2373.jpg

Photo from RMweb Kadee Resources page

Align-with-buffers.jpg

Edited by Noel

That's model trains Noel

I reckon mistakes were made and then later made good!

Just do the one connecting to the loco and the last one- much easier

Eoin

Exactly Eoin. The IE Cravens came first and the couplings were modified for the second run in CIE due to customer feedback.

Reading the resources on kadees , I don't believe the NEM versions are a solution

I have to agree. Body mount a draft box Kadee would be the ideal solution. I don't own any MM Cravens so I can't comment on the amount of work required to get the couple sitting at the right height but anything would be better than faffing around with NEM pockets!

Exactly Eoin. The IE Cravens came first and the couplings were modified for the second run in CIE due to customer feedback.
Ah, thanks for that info. Nice to hear consumer feedback resulted in subsequent changes, but perhaps a pity the modification didn't also correct the height and reach. I had mistakenly assumed the whole idea of NEM pockets was so consumers could easily change coupling types without needing tools and without having to cut or glue anything. From reading RMweb it seems the NEM 362 issue has also been a problem for manufacturers of British outline stock.

Just to look at this from alternative position, Nigel Burkin, well known modeller and contributor to magazines, advocates attaching couplings to the body of bogie vehicles so that they behave just like the real things, with the bogies simply carrying the body. I guess this would fall down if the curves are too sharp, a position many will find themselves in.

Stephen

The main issues around NEM pockets is two fold

One is it's a HO standard and this has lead to 4mmmanufacturers making incorrect assumptions.

Secondly ,00 rtr manufactures have either by error or by wilfull decision have misplaced the pocket

In the US No manufacturer would buck the NMRA standards without good reason. But 00 rtr has suffered from weak standards. Even though the Double O Gauge Association has issued a NEM pockets standard for 00, this organisation is largely ignored.

Just to look at this from alternative position, Nigel Burkin, well known modeller and contributor to magazines, advocates attaching couplings to the body of bogie vehicles so that they behave just like the real things, with the bogies simply carrying the body. I guess this would fall down if the curves are too sharp, a position many will find themselves in.

Stephen

Mounting couplings to the body is dependant on the curvature of your layout. I have body mounted Kadee's on some MK 3 coaches which negotiate a 30" radius curve, any tighter then you would get buffer lock (unless using HST MK 3's) MK1 & MK2 stock you could get away with slightly smaller radius, however some stock would foul on the buffers at 24".

Not sure how the MM Cravens would work, but some modellers (I have a rake of Bachmann MK1's that I fitted with the Hornby (Roco) close couplings and these seem to work fine, I have run these on 2nd radius curves. May be worth a try with the cravens.

I've posted a copy of this to my workbench also but for completeness of this thread I've add the photo here also.  Found a way to easily get the tension lock couplings off Murphy Model mk2 aircon coaches without damaging them with force, and as per @BosKonay's recommendation glued a Kadee no 19 and no 20 under the NEM pocket of my mk2 coaches.  Then I couple the no 20 end of one coach to the no 19 of the next, alternating each coach.  So far has worked a treat in forward and reverse.

fitting_kadee_mm_mk2d_01.jpg

• Like 1