Preferred 21 pin DCC decoder for MM locos? (not sound)

Rate this question

Noel

Question

14 answers to this question

I have found ESU Lokpilot to be a pretty advanced chip particularly for double-heading 141/181/121s. The CVs are easy to adjust which may be necessary to get all functions working on the 201s which have unusual electronic set-up/architecture.

Thanks IRM

Thanks Dave. I'm after folks preferred choice based on their usage experience. So are these the ones you prefer to use?

I have found ESU Lokpilot to be a pretty advanced chip particularly for double-heading 141/181/121s. The CVs are easy to adjust which may be necessary to get all functions working on the 201s which have unusual electronic set-up/architecture.

Think Noel is not into 201s but that's good to know as I also have a rake of 141/181s that will need to be done and I intend to do some consists:)

I found them very good, have them fitted in some 141's and the 8 pin ones in some of my American locos and no problems.

Hi Dave. I presume you mean the Hatton's ones. Do you know who's or which product they really are (i.e. rebadged)?

I've now tried Lenz silver, Bachmann 36-557, Zimo MX644D and Bachmann 36-554 decoders in MM 141/181 locos. The cheaper Bachmann 36-554 does not seem to run these MM locos anywhere nears as well as the other three, and has a very strange power curve. The Lenz and Zimo seem by far the smoothest and quietest, especially at crawl. Its possible I'm not getting the best out of the cheaper Bachmann with its 'out of the box' settings. I've experimented with a few CVs but no significant change in behaviour. The Bachmann 36-557 is not bad at all though. Anybody else had success with various Bachmann decoders in MM141/181s?

Hi Dave. I presume you mean the Hatton's ones. Do you know who's or which product they really are (i.e. rebadged)?

I've now tried Lenz silver, Bachmann 36-557, Zimo MX644D and Bachmann 36-554 decoders in MM 141/181 locos. The cheaper Bachmann 36-554 does not seem to run these MM locos anywhere nears as well as the other three, and has a very strange power curve. The Lenz and Zimo seem by far the smoothest and quietest, especially at crawl. Its possible I'm not getting the best out of the cheaper Bachmann with its 'out of the box' settings. I've experimented with a few CVs but no significant change in behaviour. The Bachmann 36-557 is not bad at all though. Anybody else had success with various Bachmann decoders in MM141/181s?

I'm not sure Noel who makes them for Hattons, but they work fine for me.

I'm not sure Noel who makes them for Hattons, but they work fine for me.

Thanks. I was a little disappointed with the older bachmann 36-554 as they were supposed to be better than the newer 36-557 which some hornby controller users had mixed results with.

Thanks. I was a little disappointed with the older bachmann 36-554 as they were supposed to be better than the newer 36-557 which some hornby controller users had mixed results with.

What have you heard about this Noel? Do you mind me asking what controller you use?

I heard that Hornby Select users had issues with the 36-557's. However reading on some UK forums, there also appears to be people saying Hornby Elite users had issues with this decoder too.

It is hard to know which of the 36-554 or the 36-557 is best to use if you have a Hornby Select, or if you have a Hornby Elite!

Edited by Blu Bianco

What have you heard about this Noel? Do you mind me asking what controller you use?

I heard that Hornby Select users had issues with the 36-557's. However reading on some UK forums, there also appears to be people saying Hornby Elite users had issues with this decoder too.

It is hard to know which of the 36-554 or the 36-557 is best to use if you have a Hornby Select, or if you have a Hornby Elite!

Well the Select is not NMRA compliant, so it has issues with several brands of decoders; Bachmann and TCS were the ones which caused the most hassle. The problem is with the Select itself, not with the decoders.

Well the Select is not NMRA compliant, so it has issues with several brands of decoders; Bachmann and TCS were the ones which caused the most hassle. The problem is with the Select itself, not with the decoders.

Thanks for that. You would expect then the Elite to be ok with both?

Oh and a heads-up for anyone with an Elite who is thinking of getting one of Hattons own 21-pin decoders for their Murphy Models 141/18 loco, Hattons state on the product page that this decoder isn't compatible with the Hornby Elite.

Thanks for that. You would expect then the Elite to be ok with both?

Oh and a heads-up for anyone with an Elite who is thinking of getting one of Hattons own 21-pin decoders for their Murphy Models 141/18 loco, Hattons state on the product page that this decoder isn't compatible with the Hornby Elite.

To be honest I would expect the Elite to work with any decoder as Hornby state that it's NMRA compliant. If that's not the case then I would steer clear of it.

To be honest I would expect the Elite to work with any decoder as Hornby state that it's NMRA compliant. If that's not the case then I would steer clear of it.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was just wondering if anyone knows what the issues are with the Elite and Hattons decoders? I have a few 201's and 071's to fit decoders to and I was thinking of trying these decoders (I can live with the lack of cab lights) but I'm also currently using the Hornby Elite controller. Is there a similar alternative that people on here have experience with?