Steam In Northern Ireland

Rate this topic

The clip of the triple headed Jeeps was taken at Portrush. The steeply graded remains of the line down to the harbour was often used to stable excursion trains until it was almost time for the return trip, when it was common to need two Jeeps to drag the coaches up the hill into the station. However, if rail conditions were really poor, then three Jeeps were needed. Quite a spectacular sight, and sound.

The clip of the triple headed Jeeps was taken at Portrush. The steeply graded remains of the line down to the harbour was often used to stable excursion trains until it was almost time for the return trip, when it was common to need two Jeeps to drag the coaches up the hill into the station. However, if rail conditions were really poor, then three Jeeps were needed. Quite a spectacular sight, and sound.

Anyone know how they were 'controlled', in the sense that why weren't electronically linked in any way? The third jeep seems to be trying a little harder than the two before it with some significant wheelslip although i'm sure they engineer throttled back and controlled that...

Anyone know how they were 'controlled', in the sense that why weren't electronically linked in any way? The third jeep seems to be trying a little harder than the two before it with some significant wheelslip although i'm sure they engineer throttled back and controlled that...

It was all done manually - a crew in each cab, with the drivers communicating using whistle codes.

Each loco was independently driven. This wasn't only in steam days - multiple railcars in the same train were separately driven on the County Donegal narrow gauge.

Triple heading out of that siding at Portrush was not at all unusual, and double heading was common, both in the siding itself and often on things like bank holiday excursions.

A layout with UTA coaches and half a dozen absolutely filthy Jeeps would make a fine, evocative sight. Add in a few MPD sets and a brand new 70 class set.....

Multiple Jeeps, six or even more, could be seen running together as a train from Portrush to Coleraine for turning and servicing having all worked excursions to Portrush earlier.

Why would that many run together? Was it for safety? i.e. there would be one train on the line rather than six separate locomotives? Each still had to be operated independently?

Edited by DiveController

Why would that many run together? Was it for safety? i.e. there would be one train on the line rather than six separate locomotives? Each still had to be operated independently?

This was for pathing purposes. Only one path was required, rather than six or more paths for single light engines. I am not sure if all the locos would have been working, I would have thought that the lead engine would have done all the work, but I am not an expert on steam loco operation.

I do have a picture, somewhere, of six Jeeps leaving Portrush together, but I can't lay my hands on it just now.

I do have a picture, somewhere, of six Jeeps leaving Portrush together, but I can't lay my hands on it just now.

Found it.

img006a.jpg

The locos with bunkers nearest the camera would have arrived from Derry, having run round their trains at Coleraine and arriving bunker first at Portrush. The others would have arrived from Belfast, or other places south of Coleraine.

Edited by Dhu Varren