2 trains hit lorry on level crossing

Rate this topic

Dunluce Castle

Apologies, given that it seems almost inevitable that the driver of the truck was killed, is it in good taste to have such on the forum? I'm absolutely sure nothing such was intended, it's just unfortunate given the tragedy for loved ones concerned. I know the clip could be years old or recent, but watching somebody die is not something any of us intend to see. And please, I'm not having a go at the OP, just wondering with the benefit of considered hindsight. Or perhaps I'm just being oversensitive having been at a pals funeral today.

Hi Noel, I understand where your coming from and I guess I shouldn't have posted it here but it provides a reminder to all to stay safe wherever you are.

Hi DC, no prob, understand. :) Apologies for being a bit tender, I guess I was just a little hyper sensitive today.

Take care

Noel

Apologies, given that it seems almost inevitable that the driver of the truck was killed, is it in good taste to have such on the forum? I'm absolutely sure nothing such was intended, it's just unfortunate given the tragedy for loved ones concerned. I know the clip could be years old or recent, but watching somebody die is not something any of us intend to see. And please, I'm not having a go at the OP, just wondering with the benefit of considered hindsight. Or perhaps I'm just being oversensitive having been at a pals funeral today.

Folks,

A timely reminder of the following forum rule:

[13] If you note an issue that contravenes this policy document, please use the 'report post' facility located towards the bottom left of each post. This will bring the issue to the attention of the moderators, who will review it and take action if necessary. Please avoid posting on the topic in an attempt tackle the issue yourself. 'Back-seat' moderating is unacceptable.

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/79-Website-Guidelines-Rules

The heavy gang will be called in next time. ;)

We still have a lot of level crossings here on the 'mainland' and I'm fairly sure that I haven't been over more than one this century - I go out of my way to avoid them. The one that I used to have to use, I have now discovered a route to avoid it.

The crossings can be on quite serious high-speed mainline sections - we had this one only recently - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-30047183 .

A few miles from me is the Hixon crossing, which was, at last, replaced with a bridge a few years ago, long after the 1968 crash. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hixon_rail_crash

As you can tell, I don't really like the things...

This is a very unfortunate incident as the driver appears to approach the crossing at relatively low speed and keeps going very slowly onto the crossing before being clipped by the first train. Whenever I see this and I do, it is usually some idiot in a pimped out coupe or a light truck maneuvering between the barriers. Unless the clip has been slowed down I suspect ice was a factor contributing to the judgement error. The first train turns the tractor unit to the left directly into the path of the second train. Unfortunately only seven seconds or less elapse before the impact with the HST which demolishes the truck derailing the first train. There is substantial risk for the driver of the second train which does slow hopefully due to preemptive braking.

I am sorry for everyone involved here but if is any good comes out if this, it would be that some other drivers would see this and make more conservative driving decisions. If I had my way this I'd a similar video would be part of drivers education!

Edited by DiveController

I'd agree that the icy conditions played a major part in this accident. The lorry certainly looks like it was skidding as it entered the crossing, possibly due to late braking if the driver was, as has been suggested earlier, inexperienced. It is, however, strange that the crossing was not equipped with the heavy metal barriers which rise out of the road surface to stop vehicles encroaching on to the railway, a feature found at most level crossings in Russia.

I'd agree that the icy conditions played a major part in this accident. The lorry certainly looks like it was skidding as it entered the crossing, possibly due to late braking if the driver was, as has been suggested earlier, inexperienced. It is, however, strange that the crossing was not equipped with the heavy metal barriers which rise out of the road surface to stop vehicles encroaching on to the railway, a feature found at most level crossings in Russia.

Imagine trying to 'beat the red' when they're rising out of the ground under the rear axle!

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but having watched that crash, I for one did not expect the truck driver to survive, alas,sadly he did not, the crash happened in Russia , it's here for anyone who want's to view the result,

http://www.documentingreality.com/forum/f167/trucker-dies-when-truck-gets-hit-2-trains-149745/

There's some echo in here....