Euro 2012

Rate this topic

Garfield

What? There's no Euro 2012 thread yet? I'm shocked! :P

Missed the opening game, but caught the Russia v Czech Republic match. The Russians looked a class act... but of course what the Czechs were really missing was a Richard Dunne in defence! ;)

Already getting butterflies in my stomach about the game on Sunday. Filmed these guys heading off in their van to Poland from Longford for the tournament... I've never been so jealous! http://www.longfordleader.ie/news/local/van-to-poznan-1-3933614

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a somewhat bizarre move, it looks like Fabregas is starting up front for Spain tonight...

Bizarre team, but I reckon it would be Silva rather than Cesc furthest forward, surely? Wonder if 'nando will seek talks with the King of Spain about feeling unloved.

I think that's slightly unfair. We had no luck, foul on ward for the second, done out of a pen, bounces of givens head for the third. They were the better team nonetheless and will give the other two a game. We need to stop giving the ball away so cheaply.

Great effort overall by the players, but they're limited. Do we really think they'll get out of the group? I didn't before tonight, no matter how much I want us to. Getting there is our cup victory.

I think that's slightly unfair. We had no luck, foul on ward for the second, done out of a pen, bounces of givens head for the third. They were the better team nonetheless and will give the other two a game. We need to stop giving the ball away so cheaply.

Great effort overall by the players, but they're limited. Do we really think they'll get out of the group? I didn't before tonight, no matter how much I want us to. Getting there is our cup victory.

the second goal was outrageously soft to give away, thought Given was unlucky with the first, he saw it late. Croatia played lovely football, and if they can get out of the group stage, they could easily go much further.

When you step up a level to international tournaments World Cup, Euro's etc you need creative midfield players. Modric worked his socks off tonight for Croatia. He was playing in the spaces between the midfield and forwards as well as the midfield and defense. He passed the ball, he worked hard when he hadn't the ball, and he ran the game for Croatia in those areas.

We don't have players like that and that was our downfall. As much as some of the refereeing decisions were poor I still think we were punching above our weight. How Corluka managed to escape a booking throughout the game is beyond me.

Rich,

On another day, that game would've finished 2-2 but it wasn't to be. Now we need to beat both Spain and Italy in order to progress, which I don't see happening. We had some unusual Trap decisions again... like bringing on Cox (an out-and-out forward if ever there was one) to play wide left instead of McLean.

Something tells me Trap may step aside after this tournament. He can't get much more out of this group of players... and a lot of the central figures will be considering their futures at international level after Euro 2012.

As good a job as Trap has done to get us to the Euro's, with a very limited squad, in fairness a photocopier could do his job at this stage; any one of us could have named his starting 11 for this match around 2 years ago, let alone a week before. He insists on picking the same players despite them making the same mistakes every game. The purpose of playing 2 defensive midfield players is strange, neither of them can pick a pass to save their lives, at least Gibson can. I think O'Shea and Dunne in central defence with Stephen Kelly at right-back would be a stronger defence too, St Ledger can't even make the Leicester team, though to be fair he has done relatively well for us in the past.

Rant over:D

On another day, that game would've finished 2-2 but it wasn't to be. Now we need to beat both Spain and Italy in order to progress, which I don't see happening. We had some unusual Trap decisions again... like bringing on Cox (an out-and-out forward if ever there was one) to play wide left instead of McLean.

Something tells me Trap may step aside after this tournament. He can't get much more out of this group of players... and a lot of the central figures will be considering their futures at international level after Euro 2012.

I'm not sure about Trap to be honest... when you look at the jobs Brian Kerr and Steve Staunton did, he's done well to get us here with a team of very limited technical ability. I think he'll stay :)