Mk2 EGV - Graham's Resprays - Superb

Rate this topic

Noel

IE ones have orange horns, Cie & IR have black

All 5 of my IE/IR orange locos ones came with black horns in the detailing pack

Same here.

Ditto - Must have been a lapse in QC on the boxing section of the production line that day.

You could always paint them (horns) i suppose.

That's what I will do. One of the ones I bought in 2008 had orange horns pre-fitted.

Edited by Noel

IE ones have orange horns, Cie & IR have black

That would seem logical. I know the IE had orange horns although they probably looked black most of the time!. The BnT would have obviously would have black horns and I thought the Supertrain and IR liveries had orange horns also, but they were all black until IE livery. Is that correct?

Edited by DiveController

IR locos had orange horns and orange handrails on the bonnet sides above the grilles. These were left black on the models. I certainly remember seeing supertrain babies with orange horns.

164 IR livery

164.jpg

186 IR livery

186.jpg

It pays to have a look on the various photo sharing sites. Just because the models are released with black horns it doesn't mean that the prototype had them. The bodyside bonnet handrails on the IE liveried 071 models should be orange. It is an easy fix however and doesn't detract from an already fantastic model. The same goes for the IR liveried babies from MM.

Rich,

Thanks, Rich. And beautiful babies they are! It seemed logical that they would be orange but was having a hard time finding photos online to clarify that point. They're certainly orange on these IR. What sites do you use? I had looked at the Eire Trains site but obviously these are more modern photos mostly in IE which couldn't help me much for this question.

Edited by DiveController
Typo

Thanks, Rich. And beautiful babies they are! It seemed logical that they would be orange but was having a hard time finding photos online to clarify that point. They're certainly orange on these IR. What sites do you use? I had looked at the Eire Trains site but obviously these are more modern photos mostly in IR which didn't couldn't help me much for this question.

Flickr usually. Just type in the class of loco into the search box and it usually throws up some pics of the classes down through the decades. Fotopic was a great resource for photos, alas it has been shut down for the last few years. It must be an absolute nightmare for manufacturers having production liveried models delivered with little errors when they have done so much hard work on r&d. It's not like PM can stand over the the worker painting and printing the models in China and the man does so much, and has done so much hard work in wanting them right.

Rich,

I wouldn't get too hung up on those little details. Irish Rail always had a 'unique' maintenance program with their locos which gave each Loco a unique characteristic like attaching orange doors & wipers to a black & silver 071 Loco, different paint jobs to the same Liveries etc, thats what makes modelling so much fun- you can customise your Locos to your own favourite ones!!