Nostalgia - Hornby Dublo - east meets west

Rate this topic

Noel

Anybody remember Hornby Dublo (2 rail)?

Hornby Dublo taken out of storage - mixed freight wagons. The 'table top' model trains of the 60s.

DSC_6857.jpg

Diecast BR tank loco hauls mixed freight.

DSC_6856.jpg

Hornby Dublo diecast Barnstable hauling ex-GWR stock

DSC_6855.jpg

East meets west! :) Tin plate SR green coach

DSC_6852.jpg

In the background Bachmann GWR coaches - Dublo GRW coaches in foreground behind 'Barnstable' discast metal loco, had metal side panel with plastic roof, except for restaurant car which had metal roof also.

DSC_6851.jpg

For late 1950s early 1960s they were not bad models. I remember hauling 30 Triang Hornby coaches owned by other folk behind our 'Barnstable' loco in 1973!!!

Edited by Noel

Noel , looks great. Can I ask....with the track underlay, have you pinned the track to the base. Did it have any effect on point motors? From the picture you appear to have different levels, are they connected and if so what gradients did you use.

Hi Alan. Track is pinned with narrow track pins into partially preformed holes created with a fine pointed screw driver. The ballast is not compressed by the track or pins. I've only a handful of point motors wired up yet and those operate ok. All of the points have a half inch hole drilled under them in the baseboard. There are some points on the upper level that won't take motors directly underneath the base board due to track underneath, so they will be operated by push rods to remote motors (ie much like control cables in RC model aircraft). The layout has three levels with track laid on upper and mid level but not yet on lowest level. See track plan on Kingsbridge thread. The gradient change between level 1 and 2 is about 1/32 (3.1%). The height difference between levels is 3inches. Noel

Edited by Noel

Thanks for the memory Noel. Got my first Hornby for my 10th birthday in 1963 from Great Southern Models in Leeson St. Bought most of the stuff after from Hely's store in Dame St as they had the best selection of Hornby in Dublin. Remember paying something like £2 for the SR 0-6-0T. Unfortunatly my mother got very ill and had to store the whole thing. After she passed away 2 of my aunts cleaned the house and to this day I do not know what they did with the trains, have never forgiven them.

• 3 weeks later...

Before I became a serious WRENN collector I used to dabble with Hornby Dublo

Hornby Dublo collapsed in 1964 . Their parent company, Meccano Ltd was taken over by Lines Brothers

Lines at the time also owned Tri Ang and it was thought that having 2 competing railway product lines was not a viable option at the time

So Tri Ang Hornby was formed. Wrenn was absorbed into the Lines family shortly afterwards

Wrenn approached the Lines Board and asked if they could manufacture the Dublo models under the Wrenn name and permission was granted

So began the Wrenn brand and indeed some of the first sets sold included some Hornby Dublo wagons and coaches but with the new Wrenn locos

Wrenn loco with H/Dublo coaches

1Set2_zpscacc1b75.jpeg

Wrenn Loco with H/Dublo wagons and coaches

1Set3_zps7cf6033e.jpeg

Before I became a serious WRENN collector I used to dabble with Hornby Dublo

Hornby Dublo collapsed in 1964 . Their parent company, Meccano Ltd was taken over by Lines Brothers

Lines at the time also owned Tri Ang and it was thought that having 2 competing railway product lines was not a viable option at the time

So Tri Ang Hornby was formed. Wrenn was absorbed into the Lines family shortly afterwards

Wrenn approached the Lines Board and asked if they could manufacture the Dublo models under the Wrenn name and permission was granted

So began the Wrenn brand and indeed some of the first sets sold included some Hornby Dublo wagons and coaches but with the new Wrenn locos

Wrenn loco with H/Dublo coaches

1Set2_zpscacc1b75.jpeg

Wrenn Loco with H/Dublo wagons and coaches

1Set3_zps7cf6033e.jpeg

Hi Dave, thanks for posting. That's a nice blast from the past. Wrenn was fabulous gear and the top of the pile back then. The fact that the locos were metal and seriously heavy gave them amazing traction, and they felt and looked like real steam engines. One of my great modelling regrets as a child was selling a Hornby-Dublo 'Cardiff Castle' loco to one of my school teachers in an effort to fund the purchase of more track work. The larger tender locos had the original 'ring field' motors on a long shaft with very good gearing for their day. The motors were nearly 3 inches long. They could start at scale speeds and also crawl at low speed, wheres Triang and early Hornby locos started with a jolt at scale speeds of 25mph. I think it was 'Evening Star' that was Triang-Hornby's first foray into tender drive locos with their plastic ring field motors. I remember Triang track work was o'rrible and oversized compared to the finer scale Hornby-Dublo track. Cheers. Noel

PS: Did lines brothers sell off Wrenn or Triang?

Edited by Noel

In 1972 Wrenn became an independent company again

Tri Ang Rovex had gotten into financial trouble and all the various companies in their control were sold off

Subsidising their overseas manufacturing was thought to be the main cause of their trouble

Gallagher Brothers, the cigarette people, attempted a rescue bid but withdrew it when the full debt of the company was revealed

Around this time Hornby as we know it today emerged after Rovex Ltd was sold and a new brand was required

I remember reading that during the 2nd World War the factory was used to manufacture Sten Guns,

Noel

Found these over the festive period while looking for something completely different

These were the Hornby Dublo Breakdown cranes in another life

A GWR crane, not sure if this existed or not but GWR was my favourite UK Livery

P1070344_zps0382bfac.jpg

A CIE version, very close to our own steam cranes

P1070341_zpse4b69265.jpg

Wow - Thanks Dave for the pics of those two fabulous cranes. GWR heaven. I can just feel the weight looking at the pics. You can sense a Mecanno influence. GWR is also my favourite livery. The weathered CIE crane looks superb and slightly different. Presume it was a repaint, good job too. HD & Wrenn built model machines rather than toys.