Class A

Rate this topic

Alan564017

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rtr ones are pretty expensive especially with the euro/sterling exchange rate, plus it could be a while before the order would be ready to send. Have to agree with the lads the fastest way is to get the kit and add the ssm detail pack. Or put an ad in the wanted section in case any if the lads have a spare one.

lads thanks for the replies, I dont think it was an SF (the detailing looked too good) and the idea of buying a kit and trying to make one is just too scary to contemplate. Do SSM do RTR?

Burn, sorry I cant remember the thread, it was an old one with plenty of pictures (that narrows it down!!), for some reason Tara Junction comes to mind, but I could be leading you astray.

lads thanks for the replies, I dont think it was an SF (the detailing looked too good) and the idea of buying a kit and trying to make one is just too scary to contemplate. Do SSM do RTR?

There was a lot of work put into this SF model of the A class Arawfront.jpg - didnt come like that originally and Im not talking about the SSM detailing parts either...

Some other A's by Silverfox

A3.jpg

A8.jpg

Dave,

The B&T A3 has a white CIE roundel whereas the Black A8 has the "correct" orange/tan one.

When I asked about this anomaly on the 071 class (MM088 original versus MM0088 Supertrain) I was told that GM supplied it in the wrong shade of orange and with a white roundel and they were eventually repainted in to Supertrain.

The A's precede the 071, do they not, hence, do the models reflect prototypical A class liveries or this is a 'modeling anomaly'?

Hi Alan, even if I don't get it till after Xmas that'll do just fine, I will have to get it chipped & whatever it takes to ensure slow, very slow running, as for chip/s , I wouldn't know a chip unless you put Vinigar on it, happy days, :-bd

Im in the same boat with the chips, I got a class C a few months ago, spoke about it in a different thread, found the slow running no where as smooth as an MM (didnt expect it to). Advice from the people of much knowledge on this site recommended adjusting CV settings, when I have the courage ill give it a try, but in the mean time if you get yours up and running, id be interested to hear how you get on :tumbsup:

Is that A3 not a Q-kit, rather than silverfox? Perhaps a quick run of an orange marker over the white broken wheel part of the decal and all will be good, Dave? Won't tell a soul....

Everytime I see the SilverFox orange (either Tippex or Tan), I think...

20425288.jpg

Edited by Glenderg

Im in the same boat with the chips, I got a class C a few months ago, spoke about it in a different thread, found the slow running no where as smooth as an MM (didnt expect it to). Advice from the people of much knowledge on this site recommended adjusting CV settings, when I have the courage ill give it a try, but in the mean time if you get yours up and running, id be interested to hear how you get on :tumbsup:

MM 141 chassis is almost a direct fit for a C - if you have the courage.......

Dave,

The B&T A3 has a white CIE roundel whereas the Black A8 has the "correct" orange/tan one.

When I asked about this anomaly on the 071 class (MM088 original versus MM0088 Supertrain) I was told that GM supplied it in the wrong shade of orange and with a white roundel and they were eventually repainted in to Supertrain.

The A's precede the 071, do they not, hence, do the models reflect prototypical A class liveries or this is a 'modeling anomaly'?

There you go with the KGB,CIA talk, what's B&T A3, Black A8, I won't tell a soul, not a word, honest, but no waterboarding, OK

It would be such a shame to pull apart a 141, they are such a nice loco. I wouldn't be able to bring myself to it:((

Well there must be some other Bachmann centre drive chassis that would fit, even if a bo-bo. I'd sacrifice scale authenticity on the under frame and bogies to get a stunning and reliable runner like MM. 100% pure scale that runs poorly ends up a static junk display at some outpost on a layout. I'd rather a loco that is useable as a loco rather than just a good looker that can't run smoothly over points.

Well there must be some other Bachmann centre drive chassis that would fit, even if a bo-bo. I'd sacrifice scale authenticity on the under frame and bogies to get a stunning and reliable runner like MM. 100% pure scale that runs poorly ends up a static junk display at some outpost on a layout. I'd rather a loco that is useable as a loco rather than just a good looker that can't run smoothly over points.

Theres always a slighly shortened athearn sd 9 chassis or take the bogies, drive shafts and motor out of a bachmann cl 55 and build a new chassis.

Edited by Riversuir226

Theres always a slighly shortened athearn sd 9 chassis or take the bogies, drive shafts and motor out of a bachmann cl 55 and build a new chassis.

The F7 chassis is a good fit if you're not concerned about using a Bo-Bo. I've been dabbling with trying to fit Co-Co bogies to the chassis...

498E66EA-1247-4389-996B-2FC9DC18574E_zpsudceykal.jpg

It's going to be difficult to fit the driveshafts but it certainly looks the part. You'd even get away with the fuel tank.

A little video of my own A class that has the Hornby Deltic chassis,

and SSM detail kit.The deltic chassis is not bad at slow speed and

the only problem I find is traction,mainly because the bass reflex

speaker takes up a lot of space.She can haul 11 cement wagons

no bother.

th_20141021_125849_zpshdi0patz.mp4

Looks great. What sound project and decoder are you running? 11 wagons is a nice long train.

Ps. Love your layout. It's alive with realism.

Looks great. What sound project and decoder are you running? 11 wagons is a nice long train.

Ps. Love your layout. It's alive with realism.

Noel it's the unreleased Zimo Mr sound guy A class

sound chip that was recorded from a39 a few years

ago at Downpatrick.I was with Keith (Mr sound guy)

on the day for assistance as Gerry Byrne had

organised permission from Downpatrick and ITG

for recordings.The chip is unreleased at the moment

but Keith is to look at it again.