New Layout Plans

Rate this topic

BabyGM

As most of you probably know my current layout is very close to being awful

It is too basic, the track is lined up horribly and there's a serious lack of scenery

Now I have a fresh start and this time I'm going to make sure this one is half decent

Here are the plans

img003.jpg

Apologies for the roughness it was originally something to pass the time

(Also I've changed it around a bit in the rest of the plans)

img002.jpg

The picture is colour coded so

Red = Where I will put a board and add on posters with scenery

Blue = (If It's visible) Where the base board ends or has a gap in it

Black lines = Track

Grey = Platform

The layout will be 11ft x 7ft

Keep in mind that these plans are very rough and not perfect

Tell me what you think and where it can be improved

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the old layout has now been dismantled and I'm ready to start building the new one

If anyone knows of any tutorials on how to build a baseboard please tell me as I don't want to go straight at it and find that I've done it wrong

the old layout has now been dismantled and I'm ready to start building the new one

If anyone knows of any tutorials on how to build a baseboard please tell me as I don't want to go straight at it and find that I've done it wrong

It might be worth checking out that guy that's doing baseboards on the site (I can't for the life of me remember where I seen it) He might be able to build you a board that folds away if that's what your after

It might be worth checking out that guy that's doing baseboards on the site (I can't for the life of me remember where I seen it) He might be able to build you a board that folds away if that's what your after

That's exactly what I'm after

I'll PM him and get a quote off him

Thanks guys

All of my old boards have been cut up into the correct sizes for the new layout mostly 2x4

It will be fitted with point motors and hopefully will be powered by a Lenz controller

The layout will be built in reverse to the previous plans as if it stayed the same the station would be under my bed

Hopefully I will start building the baseboards next week

Hi Guys

I started building the baseboards for my new layout today

I'm about 80 percent there all that needs to be done now is about three more pieces of wood and then a shelf for the back of the layout

9ca63039.jpg?t=1340921347

This bit is under my bed and with some very basic clearance tests I've come to the conclusion that either bits of the bed will have to be taken away or the height of the layout will have to be lowered by about an inch

f7b56f99.jpg?t=1340921351

UPDATE: All the base boards have now been assembled and are in place

I would have pictures only I seem to lack the brains to remember to take a picture before I leave the layout :mad:

I'm trying to decide a name for the layout with little result

Also, can anyone tell me what type of freight flow could come from a mountainous/hilly area.There will be timber trains for the forest at the base of the mountains/hills and from the surrounding area either 20 ft or 60 ft(I think). Maybe 10 20ft timbers and 10 of what ever freight flow comes from the hilly area- like on the sligo freight trains

'little result' as gaelige would be beagán cinneadh [i think], and anglicised might be kinnabeg or a variation on it.:D

Not a bad name for the layout ,i'll add it to the list of possibilities:tumbsup:

Gaa specials!:D

=))

Edited by BabyGM

They would :)

You could run timber, tara mines, cement wagons and intermodel / containers in such a setting without looking at all out of place :)

Great! I already have a few pocket wagons and i was worried they might have to be sold or stored for the new layout, would the IFM soon to be released pallet cement wagons be sutable maybe with a few curtain wagons?

Anyway, I have to build a layout before I can play trains :)

The idea is that it is a fictional town around Kilcoole

Just to the west will be forests,mountainous and hilly area's, just north of the station is a branch line like the phoeinix park tunnel designed for freight and empty stock workings(with the odd railtour) it would probably enter the mainline around Inchicore or Naas and to the east is the sea with a beach spanning the length of the main straight of the layout

For passenger workings it will mostly be Cravens with an 071 or a 201 in the original livery.

Later in the day and early in the morning Mk 3's run to facilitate people going to work in Dublin from all around the South-East

The freight terminal will be very busy with Timber, Cement and Ore Being shipped to Platin and Castlemungret,Waterford and North Wall respectively

The idea is that it is a fictional town around Kilcoole

Just to the west will be forests,mountainous and hilly area's, just north of the station is a branch line like the phoeinix park tunnel designed for freight and empty stock workings(with the odd railtour) it would probably enter the mainline around Inchicore or Naas and to the east is the sea with a beach spanning the length of the main straight of the layout

For passenger workings it will mostly be Cravens with an 071 or a 201 in the original livery.

Later in the day and early in the morning Mk 3's run to facilitate people going to work in Dublin from all around the South-East

The freight terminal will be very busy with Timber, Cement and Ore Being shipped to Platin and Castlemungret,Waterford and North Wall respectively

Just to add to this info the layout will be signaled during the change from semaphores to CTC so there will be a mix with workers signalling trains with flags and testing of the light signals and the removal of semaphores

• 4 weeks later...

I started laying track for my new layout today and it's been a slow nightmarish process, exactly how I imagined it

One main problem is lack of space ,as the layout in built in ,my room there are all sorts of problems e.g. a chunk o the layout is under my bed and about half the mainline is inaccesable .

Anyway ,here's some pictures

f3adacdc.jpg?t=1343405992

a714bb64.jpg?t=1343406005

I also added close couplings to my Auto-Ballasters

2a146088.jpg?t=1343406020

34a291aa.jpg?t=1343406062

An update on track laying;

Nearly all of the points at the station have been installed I'm just waiting on a few more points

31daaa08.jpg?t=1344017702

9410a115.jpg?t=1344017789

I also installed a home made expansion joint out of old track

05d18f07.jpg?t=1344017686

I will paint them when I get all the track laid

I would have started on wiring up the track but my solder was lost in the mess on top of the board

Mess? What mess? I see a recreation of a very serious rail accident involving lots of locos on their sides. Since it may take weeks for the inspectors to arrive I suggest a hasty cover up and pretend like nothing ever happened. :tumbsup:

Mess? What mess? I see a recreation of a very serious rail accident involving lots of locos on their sides. Since it may take weeks for the inspectors to arrive I suggest a hasty cover up and pretend like nothing ever happened. :tumbsup:

A serious railway incident with over-sized paint brushes, aero wrappers and broken iPhone cases=))

It's no fun working underneath the benches, I've just spent a week on my layout doing that -but it will be worth it in the end!

I couldn't imagined what it must have been like with a layout that size

I was about 2 hours at it and I only have a small layout

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past few days I've laid all of the track and did a bit of the wiring

I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed it though I expected to have the urge to chainsaw the layout to bits by now :ROFL:

Anyway here's some pictures

2B00C3C0-BFBA-480D-8CF9-6B096E4EA0DF-1506-00000299262311C1.jpg?t=1345240151

A slightly less disasterous railway incident

044871A9-9268-4D12-B198-228DE8BAB355-1506-000002991FDF73FE.jpg?t=1345240146

F76CFDBC-1B28-4570-831C-E1AC204900DC-1506-000002991A1CE75F.jpg?t=1345240142

5F20A645-4A1A-453F-BB24-3484CCE6FF60-1506-0000029910437A23.jpg?t=1345240138

For some reason i'm having trouble soldering the wires coming the track to the bus wire ???????????