ex BR mk2's

Rate this question

StevieB

Question

Does anyone have information about the alterations done to the two mk2b FK's to produce buffet/snack cars 4401/2? There is a photos on the VCT website but it isn't very clear whether the windows that were filled in were on the corridor side or not.

Many thanks.

Stephen

The Mk 2 corridor coaches obtained from BR were converted to open layout, however, the roof detail, ie ventilators, was not altered. The ventilators on a corridor coach were in a straight line offset to one side, namely the compartment side. The picture on the VCT website shows that the ventilators are on the side away from the camera, meaning that the side nearest the camera would have been the corridor side.

• Like 1

Irish Rail Purchased or swapped 16 in total with Vic Berry for 14 ex Irish Rail B201 metrovick locos in 1990

4101 mk2/2a second open converted to 64 seat open

4102 mk2/2a second open converted to 64 seat open

4103 mk2c first open converted to 54 seat open

4104 mk2c first open converted to 54 seat open

4105 mk2c first open converted to 54 seat open

4106 mk2c first open converted to 54 seat open

4107 mk2c first open converted to 54 seat open

4108 mk2/2a Second open converted to 64 seat open

4109 mk2b corridor first converted to 54 seat open

4110 mk2/2a second open converted to 64 seat open

4111 mk2c corridor first (scrapped following fire at inchicore)

4112 mk2c corridor first converted to 54 seat open

4113 mk2a corridor first converted to 54 seat open

4114 mk2a corridor first converted to 54 seat open

4401 mk2b corridor first converted to 37 seat Buffet

4402 mk2b corridor first converted to 37 seat Buffet

All were air braked so they could not run with existing mk2d fleet which were Vacuum braked.

Dutch vans 3162, 3163, and 3166 were converted to run with them as 4601 , 4602 and 4603.

Edited by flange lubricator
  • Like 1

On 14/12/2014 at 2:43 PM, Frank_the_ piper said:

Would be great to get photos of the prototype and your model!

This has to be the longest time to reply in the history of this site ! my apologies I have moved house in the meantime and am only getting back to sorting modelling matters now attached is a picture of Irish Rail Mk2a 4113 which was converted from a bachmann Mk2a FK , I filled in the centre door and fitted an open seating arrangement which is how Irish Rail converted the original. Interestingly enough the Bachmann Mk2a FK BR number is E13468, Irish Rail 4113 original BR number was E13469 the next in sequence .

P1040301.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

24 minutes ago, Ral2011 said:

Thank you very much.

Ermine models isn't active anymore, I hope Studio Scale Models will do these one day.

No problem , I got them in 2016 .It would be great if Studio Scale Models did an overlay of the MK2C FO which would do IE 4103 ,4104, 4105,4106,4107 also Mk2B Fk overlay  which would do 4109 4401,4402 and 4112 (which was a MK2C Fk) 

Looking more closely at 4401 and 4402 I'm not sure these aren't actually mk2c's. The exterior shots show a roof hatch which I believe the b's didn't have. This was to gain access to planned but never installed AC equipment.

Likewise the internal shots show the lowered, flattened ceiling in the passenger compartment (interestingly stripped back in the buffet area). This lower false ceiling contained AC ducting (again never used in practice).

The toilet windows are of the vent type like the b's but AFAIK some early mk2c's had these toilet windows rather than the later sealed AC type.

I guess to the modeller trying to recreate these vehicles it makes little difference but the roof hatch should be included. The Lima mk2b correctly doesn't have this.

• Like 1

Your correct they are difficult to model as they are unique, both 4401 and 4402 are ex Br Mk2b FKs these coaches were completely gutted and rebuilt buy IE using new and replacement parts so Thaler had bits of everything on them 4402 had roof hatches fitted similar to the later Mk2 c/d , it also had a replacement door off a mk2d with vent at the top of the door very unusual. 

Do you know what the hatch in the roof was actually cut out for? The original use in the mk2c was for AC plant that was in the end never installed in BR mk2c's. Was only 4402 cut into like this to add the hatch? The hatch is at the opposite end to the buffet itself, so I guess it's not directly related to that.

IR really went out of their way to make them look like 2c's with the external roof and internal ceiling modifications lol. The only thing left about this coach that suggests 2b is the toilet window.

For comparison the first three pics on this site appear to be a mk2c FK:

https://citytransport.info/Compartment.htm

For modelling purposes I guess it's easyish to add the "2c" hatch detail to the roof. The other mods "just" involve blanking windows mostly I guess. I am thinking of having a go at some of these "lightly modified" mk2's to practice my modelling skills before tackling something like a mk1 GSV conversion.

• Like 1

I think the roof hatch was possibly used for access to the water storage tank for the toilets? 

I dont think they went out of their way to make them like MK2c's the majority of the conversions were ex MK2c FO five of them so it was a matter of using similar interior's materials wise .

If your doing a 4402/4401 buffet a good place to start is a LIMA MK2b FK while not perfect comparied to the Bachmann Mk2's this can be picked around the place pretty cheaply and with a little effort can be made into an acceptable converson .

Yeah I have a load of them in a box and two will end up as the buffets. The regular mk2c conversions will mostly be just turned around so you can't see the incorrect toilet windows. I may try to do one with the sealed window style "for fun".

The rest will end up in NIR livery some day.

• Like 1

On 28/1/2018 at 8:31 PM, flange lubricator said:

Thanks Noel I white primer to cover the BR colours then a few coats of RAL2011.

Hi FL, hope you won’t mind me asking but where did you get that White Primer, I’ve had problems searching for a Primer in other colours other than Grey...!

TIA 

BTB

On 9/7/2021 at 9:25 PM, flange lubricator said:

Any good motor factor should have it 

Hi & thanks, I’ve contacted the only motor factor that I know of, & that’s VINNY BYRNES, I contacted them about this paint colour & was told no, they don’t have any skin like colour paint in PRIMER...so up to now the only solution seems to be a mix of colours to get something usable but the point is it won’t be a PRIMER...

BTB  

On 9/7/2021 at 7:09 PM, murphaph said:

Does anyone know what glue Bachmann used on these mk2a's? Was it CA or a plastic weld? They overdid it on my BR FKs all around the glazing. I'd like to remove it of it's CA. 

No idea I expect Weld as Super glue would of clouded the glazing?

Yeah makes sense George. It really looks like hard CA though. But it's all over the glazing so it would have surely clouded it like you say.

If you really can't find a car primer in white then Vallejo do several base colour primers under the Hobby Paint brand.