Karl's Workbench

Rate this topic

krose

Hi all,

I have been dipping in and out of this site for a couple of years now so its time I made a start on a few projects. I'm hoping this workbench will help keep me going.

I got a Silverfox MK3 Driving Trailer kit for Christmas and I have to complete it or it will be the last time I get something like that again and back to the socks & jocks for presents.

Had an airbrush tutorial from Glenderg a couple of months back. Thanks for your time Richie it was an immense help and hope I can produce some realistic looking models & scenes on the back of it.

I also have an MIR 121 resin kit and a couple of BR MK3 coaches so the plan is to do them all together.

The detail on the 121 is very light or gone altogether, anyone any tips on what to use to mark out the detail again?

Also the BR MK3 coaches are a bit rough and have a few scratches and gouges on the body of the coach. Any tips on a filler to use to repair these marks?

I’m sure I’ll have a lot more questions as I progress

Thanks for the help

Karl

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The purists on here are going to hate this post but I started a small project recently for my 3 year old son who wants a train for Christmas.

I wanted something that resembled what he would see on rails here but it would have to be tough & strong so a Murphy Model 071 is out of the question.

I found a 3 car Tomy set that would do as a doner for an ICR, as long as you ignore some of the details especially the roof detail :)

IMG_2790[1].jpg

IMG_2792[1].jpg

Next I masked off the glazing and got it ready for priming with Halfords grey.

IMG_2794[1].jpg

IMG_2805[1].jpg

IMG_2808[1].jpg

Hope to start the silver tonight and then the green & yellow before Sunday.

I got Des in Studio Scale to produce transfers for it which will set it off.

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to fix the decals on so that they stay on, as this model will get quite a bit of handling? or point me to a video/webpage with a tutorial?

Thanks

Karl

For a child of that age, that is a truly excellent idea. That sort of idea is what got me interested in railways over fifty years ago, when I was given a circle of track with a push-along toy engine made by Senior. It had a wooden body painted light grey with drawn-on windows and recalling it now, I reckon it was meant to be a very rudimentary form of one of those brand new grey diesel things made by General Motors, with a cab at one end.....

Thanks lads great encouragement.

Got the silver on earlier and it looks a bit bright in the first photo.

IMG_3086.jpg

Then it was onto masking off for the green which I found very time consuming.

Only got 1 car done this evening.

I've planned to go for pints tomorrow night so I need to get a hurry on to have it finished on time.

IMG_3087.jpg

• 11 months later...

The ICR project ran into a few difficulties. I sprayed it all grey primer first, then silver then when I did the green it ran under the masking tape at a door handle and lifted both the grey & silver coats. it was christmas eve so i had no time to fix it so it was shelved. In the past month I've taken it out again and touched it up with a brush.

I used a brush to do the black, yellow an gloss coat.

next up is the transfers. Screenshot_20171212-223028.thumb.jpg.918e0691c237c1ba84d0bf7ecf2ad628.jpg20171212_223308.thumb.jpg.599314931033c4fdcc7f5948a075893c.jpg20171212_223318.thumb.jpg.9490b3fe55f2a027b292f30282190ecc.jpg20171212_223515.thumb.jpg.5229ee75e4f96653c4c7230652100603.jpg

• Like 3

On 30/12/2014 at 12:04 AM, krose said:

The detail on the 121 is very light or gone altogether, anyone any tips on what to use to mark out the detail again?

Hi

The ICR looks great

I'm amusing the 121 is a white metal kit- the door panels and joins can be marked out with a scalpel and and then with an old blunt school compass point to make them a bit deeper, the lovers are another problem! I have wiped them down and am replacing with plastic cast ones....

5a307e61e0506_121OO-03IMAG3581.jpg.e4d4b37905d08f4c852502a54251f6b6.jpg 

Plastic cast louvres ready to go on to the valance

5a307e6611570_121OO-07IMAG3575.jpg.98199e026b72c0bf9cb650fd7ab9cacf.jpg

Here are the windows with extra frame detail added with the dividers from the same school compass set

5a307e639a750_121OO-05IMAG3579.jpg.6e22ed169bd5a801e506b546a1a3bdf2.jpg

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Like 1

Well done Karl.  IR ICR looks the biz.  Your son will be getting a worthy Christmas present crafted by a fathers love. He could bring it with him for a trip on a 22k. In decades to come when he's a young man it may become a treasured memory from his childhood.  

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

What a great thing for a dad to do for his son. Way better than anything straight out of a box. Great satisfaction for dad, because he's made it himself (and now clearly better than the original), great satisfaction for the boy because he will own something unique.

Nice to think that a fine partnership could develop from here over the years.

• Like 1

Hi all thanks very much for the comments.

I cant wait to get it finished and see the look on his face.

He loves our trips to the station, although he does have a preference for freight especially flats with tanktainers.

Eoin, the 121 is a resin kit but i'm sure your methods can be adopted to help improve the model thanks.

• Like 2