Class C ECMCHAS For Silver Fox Kit.

Rate this topic

murrayec

Hi

To follow up on the Class C chassis here, as mentioned on the 'Class A' thread;- http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/3921-Class-A?p=61132&viewfull=1#post61132.

I have now assembled a test set-up chassis and ran it through a bit of testing;-

[video=youtube_share;t0OIScr3i7s]

Video of the first test run of a chassis for a Silver Fox Class C loco kit. PCB board with two Tenshodo motors, 66gms steel weight and Kadee 146 couplers. Total weight at 162gms.

A powerful little engine, works very well under this analogue test. The slow running is great, it can pull the 4 Cravens around radius 2 bends with full buffer lock! I have not tested full speed yet, but up at 3/4 throttle is scary- at scale the speed is up to ramming the driver back in the seat with his mouth starting to take on that balloon shape like a fighter pilot in full 10gs dive!

The wheels are still 14mm, I'll change them when DCC-ing the motors and installing the bogie frames.

Eoin

Hi Eoin. Thanks for taking the time and effort to make this excellent data video. The chassis looks very promising. I presume the wheel slip can be cured by adding weight. I guess the C class rarely hauled more than 4/5 coaches in real life. As you pointed out its pretty fast as even at half throttle she looks to be doing 75mph or more scale speed. What dia wheels are you planning to change to for DCC? That may change her characteristics significantly. If re videoing under DCC I'd love to see how she runs at scale 4mph crawling over track work such as popular Peco code 100 insulfrog points and long Peco diamond crossing which are a great test of smooth power pickups. Good night. Noel

Hi All

Thanks for comments

Noel

The wheels will be 12.6mm, I reckon wheel slip would have been a characteristic feature of these engines- I like it, it feels real! When DCCed there will be a bit more control over the motors. Yes more weight will be going on- Kit parts, white metal bogie sides, a lot of brass bits, wires n chip...

Some photos of the bits;-

C Class-00 ECM IMAG1463.jpg

C Class-04 ECM IMAG1482.jpg

C Class-01 ECM IMAG1488.jpg

C Class-02 ECM IMAG1486.jpg

C Class-03 ECM IMAG1489.jpg

Eoin

Hi All

Dave;-

No prices yet, I'm still working things out- etched bogie frame for a single motor unit, bogie sides and under frame box. I will post up pricing at a later date.

aclass007;-

Yes, I'm producing the white metal bogie sides and under frame box myself. The first C's I'm building are going to be silver, the SF kit bogie sides are not great so I have decided to do this. Also white metal and NS wire driver ladders will look the part with the silver livery and wont need any finish, they can be painted for other liveries.

Does anyone have or know where there are photos of the C bogies up close and want to share? this would be very helpful

Thanks

Eoin

I ve a few pics of c class bogies, if you pm your email address i ll send them on to you.

Hi

Excellent photos, they answer nearly all my questions on the bogie sides, their a great help to finalise the drawing to make the templates for moulding

aclass007

I have been referring to the Downpatrick C photos on flicker for a lot of info

Thanks guys for the help

Eoin

Hi

Excellent photos, they answer nearly all my questions on the bogie sides, their a great help to finalise the drawing to make the templates for moulding

aclass007

I have been referring to the Downpatrick C photos on flicker for a lot of info

Thanks guys for the help

Eoin

No prob, give us a shout if you need more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All

I have now constructed a non motor bogie to run some tests- see below;-

C Class-10 IMAG1662.jpg

There is some making in this and after it all I have found its cheaper to use the second motor and have that extra umph! I tested the new bogie and could only pull 5 coaches max and at this the throttle had to be full open to get moving. Pulling small wagons- it's grand, up to 10 can be run without difficulty.

So the two motors are more economical and more powerful - decision made.

Here are a few photos of the lighting system going in, the directionals are run by two clear LEDs with .45mm fibre optic strands doing the bulb job on the loco. The LEDs are shrouded with a brass tube, with an aluminium tube socket holding the FB strands. The strands are epoxied in and the ends polished for best pick-up.

C Class-05 IMAG1711.jpg

This is the brass shrouds over the LEDs with the FB strands plugged in

C Class-06 IMAG1713.jpg

C Class-07 IMAG1714.jpg

This is a shot of the system complete, some shrinkie was added over the LEDs as they were lighting up the inside. Also the radiator cooling fan has been installed and cab light blue tacked in to test.

C Class-08 IMAG1718.jpg

Under test in forward direction with cab light on

C Class-09 IMAG1717.jpg

Under test in reverse direction

I used the Tiger lamp fibre optic strands on this build, they are ok but varies in size from strand to strand- .4mm up to5.2mm. Also there were a number of small fractures in the strands which looses some light, but the clear LEDs are quite powerful so no major loss. The red lamps are done by a touch of paint on the end.

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Like 3

This has to be seen in the flesh, the workmanship is incredible. I love the brackets for mounting the body so much better than the Silver Fox solution of glueing it on. The lighting is spot on and I love the lamp on the back. Finally a proper solution for the C class and A class.

Very well done Eoin, & don't forget a video of that magical fan working, looks great,

Here it is;-

This is a clip of a 12v electric fan test on the Class C locomotive, the motor is running from the loco DCC chip on a function button with a few resistors to bring down the speed, when complete it will have its own DCC chip which will control speed and direction.

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Like 2