Mk 2 Supertrain Coaches

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

That is good to hear Wrenneire after some of the negative vibes we have been hearing over the past week. 088 is waiting to hook up when they arrive next week.

Just been looking at the new coaches

They actually look better than the pics from the MM Website

Probably pre production pics

They are only " bleedin rapid ":dancing:

That is good to hear Wrenneire after some of the negative vibes we have been hearing over the past week. 088 is waiting to hook up when they arrive next week.

A new release from the Murphy Models stable is always something to be treasured.

In regards to the Irish modelling scene, we have to remind ourselves sometimes as to how good we have it compared to just under 15 years ago.

and a few with 088- slight colour variation but I can live with it. Again " bleedin rapid "

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16943[/ATTACH]

Enjoy Eoin. They look fine models.

That colour variation with 088 is prototypical, as GM delivered the 071s with the wrong shade of tan...

So which colour is correct? :confused: I know this is a mk3 but the darker colour seems more correct through the distant haze of my memory. I thought only the later IR/IE livery mk3/mk2 coaches used the brighter orange.

attachment.php?attachmentid=15749&d=1415185957

The new ST coaches look an almost identical shade of orange to the earlier MM mk2d's. :confused:

Can anyone confirm if the coaches are the same shade of tan as on 086 SA or the same shade of orange as the previous batches of IE Mk2s?

Also, not sure if it's just the photos but is the bottom of the black area not a straight line?

Seriously hoping that they are tan and not orange as there is a vast difference between CIE tan and IE orange shades, even if every coach was a slightly different shade in real life.

Edited by iarnrod

So which colour is correct? :confused: I know this is a mk3 but the darker colour seems more correct through the distant haze of my memory. I thought only the later IR/IE livery mk3/mk2 coaches used the brighter orange.

The new ST coaches look an almost identical shade of orange to the earlier MM mk2d's. :confused:

The photograph elsewhere on this site suggests the lighter version is more accurate than the darker one shown on the mk3s

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16042&d=1417187940

Does seem a very big difference between the Orange of the locos and that of the mk2 super train but hard to judge until seen side by side.

Both are. When the 071s were delivered EMD got the paint shade specified by CIE wrong and painted them a weird brown. This is the shade that 088 is in.

I would suggest people go and look at them in the plastic in the shops before they make their mind up. It's a funny colour when it comes to photographs where it can be washed out or too bright etc. The same goes for pics of the real thing, not to mention the 40 shades of orange attitude Inchicore employed on the real thing.

Fully agree Warbonnet. Definitely need to see them in the flesh before a decision is made. As someone who had planned to purchase around 30 of these over a number of months, I will be just a tad disappointed if the shade is more IE orange than CIE tan.

If I am not mistaken, the Supertrain shade should match or closely resemble 086SA and the various CIE 141/181s that MM previously released.

Fully agree Warbonnet. Definitely need to see them in the flesh before a decision is made. As someone who had planned to purchase around 30 of these over a number of months, I will be just a tad disappointed if the shade is more IE orange than CIE tan.

If I am not mistaken, the Supertrain shade should match or closely resemble 086SA and the various CIE 141/181s that MM previously released.

Too right man, I'd be gutted if they're wrong too but I think the pics so far wont do them justice. The ones on the MM website for instance look really washed out due to the brightness of the lighting used by the photographer.

I'm too young to really remember Supertrain shades but I'm guessing you're correct in that it should match those locos. I'm sure someone with better knowledge than me can confirm. I'm looking forward to seeing them in the plastic myself.

The only way to judge them is in natural light outside. It will give a much more accurate representation then photos taken indoors. I remember the Supertrain livery that was used on the coaches when they started their working life. There was of course a different shade of Supertrain livery on the as delivered locos from La Grange but is wasn't as radically different from the coaches as the photos of the models show. Eoins photo of his 071 has an almost salmon hue to the colour, no doubt down to the fact that the lighting is poor where the pic was taken. If this is the case then it's impossible to judge the coaches in those pics. As has been said reserve judgement until you see them in the flesh.

Rich,

Can we see 071's along side 088 so maybe we can judge for ourselves just what colour Orange or Red or Brown should be correct, & maybe we can judge for ourselves. that is of course as long as the photographer know's tan from brown !!! but then for all I know the photographer is colour blind, & he might even be working in the dark !!!!!!! he might have been working on a summers day !!!! but the light might have been very bright, especially here in Ireland the 40 shades are usually referred to GREEN

Can we see 071's along side 088 so maybe we can judge for ourselves just what colour Orange or Red or Brown should be correct, & maybe we can judge for ourselves. that is of course as long as the photographer know's tan from brown !!! but then for all I know the photographer is colour blind, & he might even be working in the dark !!!!!!! he might have been working on a summers day !!!! but the light might have been very bright, especially here in Ireland the 40 shades are usually referred to GREEN

I wish to god I could speak gobbledygook to understand what the hell you're trying to say.

You want to see the model of 071 next to it? Sure, here you go. Get the scissors out and cut your screen in half to compare the two. Looks a different shade to me though... :P

10910203363_644d0bcff2_b.jpgMurphy Models 071 no 071 by franburke, on Flickr

When the mk2s came from the uk they were all in undercoat, livery undecided so when they decided dull orange the coaches were paint and loco's followed,so the CIE 141 loco's should be near same until 84 when mk3s came and 071 got repaint and a more orange was used.

Re the above post I think it's very smart as the person in question does not own a 071 was just asking to see loco's with both CIE liverys.

This photo taken in 1978 shows original 071 livery against the Mk2 orange - 1978.05.24 wednesday-145Q.Cork.181..078 on the empty stock of an A.C.Supertrain

I posted similar on page 3 of this thread - I do query the colour, as I know the photographer to be highly professional. On the flipside, if the orange is too bright, those looking for an EGV in later livery can just add two white lines and job's oxo. Anyway, they all require muck and dirt, so do send them to your local re-spray pro (not me) to get the right one if you're truly passionate about the orange being "tan". R

The original colour was much more brown than orange. The pic of the one in Central is after its first Inchicore repaint, as the CIE logo is the normal one. On the original (American painted) non-standard tan shade, the logo was also non standard - it was all white, bigger than normal, and slightly wrong font.

Look at the one of 087 in that series; sorry, I don't know how to copy the link. This shows the browner-tis shades be the detail variation I mentioned above - as well as a non standard font for the numerals on the ends.

Edited by jhb171achill

Wrenneire - thanks very much for these photos which answers the question with great clarity for me anyway.

As someone who was planning on buying 31 of these babies, I now have to go off and have a serious think about this, as in my mind, these coaches should be a close match or at least very similar to the top 141/181 and 071 in the photo. The colour of these coaches now looks like a half way point between the colour of the IR/IE livery portrayed on previous MM locos rather than Supertrain.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement, as personally, If I am to continue with my plans for a CIE era layout, I would have to now add in the cost of a full respray to each coach, which at this point, I am unsure is a financially viable option for me anyway.

I am sure that there will be many modellers as happy as a pig in poop with these coaches, but personally, I don't know how MM could get it so wrong this time around. There have been livery issues on previous MM products that could be easily fixed and that I have happily lived with, but certainly none that required a full respray. Disappointed big time.

Edited by iarnrod

Well I hope u meet Paul and you can explain the difference between the two.

Next time I meet you I'll do my best to explain banter too. Hopefully you'll have put down the wooden spoon by then. Now back on topic please and no more touting for business please.

Edited by Warbonnet