Mk 2 Supertrain Coaches

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

One of the concerns is the livery and, in particular, the shade of 'orange' used. Well, have a look at this http://stationworld.web.fc2.com/uk/ireland/manullajunction.htm.

Stephen

The coaches in that link are the later livery from the IR/IE era. The MM coaches are indeed very similar to that livery. However, the earlier supertrain livery, which these latest MM coaches represent was actually much darker. It was a tan colour. ttc0169 looks good in the photo, though! :tumbsup:

The coaches in that picture at Manulla need to be looked at in the context of one lot being in shadow, with t he ones on the right having bright sun shining on them. Like any colour, that will result in a totally different look in photographs. In reality the difference, which as aclass007 says looks considerable, was nothing like as different. The post 1990 shade was more orangey (i.e. less "tan") rather than darker or lighter.

While I know this isn't what is being referred to above, but as an aside to this, you will often hear it said that CIE's tan / orange / "golden brown"(!), or the GNR(I)'s loco blue, or earlier CIE green were, respectively "a million shades" of the various colours at different times. That's myth, usually borne of simple lack of accurate research. Actual post-1990 shade paint exists on some RPSI Cravens; the loco blue used at Whitehead is accurate, the light CIE green on C231 on the DCDR is accurate, and actual darker CIE green exists on Maedb in Cultra and on the flying snail crest in Enniskillen railway museum.

When referring to colour photos, it's important to consider lighting, the quality of the film (judge by surrounding scenery, sky colour, people's skin colour, plant colours), and the likely degree of actual weathering or fading of the subject matter in the photograph. Reference to several photos will usually give a better idea than one, and will highlight differences (or even cast doubt on theories that there were any!). Eyewitness accounts can be extremely reliable, or totally unreliable / plain wrong, depending on the artistic eye or memory of the beholder, or even the level of interest they had when they initially saw it.

Edited by jhb171achill

Correct, railer; just two shades 1962-recently. New 071's, painted in the States, were the exception as mentioned elsewhere, and their browny colour didn't survive first repaint.

Only last week I saw a very good slide on ebay featuring 084 hauling a Mk3 set out of Heuston. 084 was still in GM livery and you could see the contrast against the then new ST livery on the Mk3 EGV. 084 must have been one of the last to get ST livery. It was the last loco in service with the IE livery and all.

Only last week I saw a very good slide on ebay featuring 084 hauling a Mk3 set out of Heuston. 084 was still in GM livery and you could see the contrast against the then new ST livery on the Mk3 EGV. 084 must have been one of the last to get ST livery. It was the last loco in service with the IE livery and all.

Interesting clip of mk3 supertrain sound demo, but I was just interested in the coach colours and the black intercity lettering. These look quite good and close to loco colour.

[video=youtube_share;oDiEKnC-Q-I]

Edited by Noel

Interesting clip of mk3 supertrain sound demo, but I was just interested in the coach colours and the black intercity lettering. These look quite good and close to loco colour.

Filmed under fluorescent lights along with compression, hardly judgeable. Also the loco is the one in repainted CIE orange rather than original. Decide when the models are infront of your own eyes....

Filmed under fluorescent lights along with compression, hardly judgeable. Also the loco is the one in repainted CIE orange rather than original. Decide when the models are infront of your own eyes....

Actually, they were filmed under regular, incandescent bulbs....

But anyway here's some more pics of them from my workbench thread http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/77-Graham-s-Workbench/page4 These were taken in more natural light.

But anyway here's some more pics of them from my workbench thread http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/77-Graham-s-Workbench/page4 These were taken in more natural light.

That link is a super thread IT. I found the Mk3 supertrain coach conversion, kadee and weathering post very useful and informative (bookmarked). Your supertrain Mk3s look spot on colour wise and also the black intercity decals look great.

Edited by Noel

• 4 weeks later...
I asked both Hattons and Cheltenham Model Centre recently about stocking the new MM mk2d's and they both had no plans to stock them - too small a market perhaps!

Stephen

Or maybe if there are problems with some of the coaches they do not want to get involved with the product. I had noticed that Hattons did not seem to stock the Mk2ds and their stocks of MM seem to be dwindling, so maybe Blaine is right. They are still listed as a stockist on MM website but that is also frequently out of date. Where is your info from Blaine?

I think they look great, IT. Presumably they're resprays from the original Lima IE coaches?

Or maybe if there are problems with some of the coaches they do not want to get involved with the product. I had noticed that Hattons did not seem to stock the Mk2ds and their stocks of MM seem to be dwindling, so maybe Blaine is right. They are still listed as a stockist on MM website but that is also frequently out of date. Where is your info from Blaine?

My sources are from within the trade. Hattons no longer being a stockist is more to do with how they sell the product rather than the product itself

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a few brand new super train coaches may be going for a keen price on ebay.

The photographs being perpendicular in the box make the black panels look parallel unless you look at them right way up. Might be a good deal for those who wish to respray tip-pex white stripes on.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/131464071319?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

picked up my supertrain composite + egv, they are nice models but the finish is of a poor standard

in terms of livery, i think a good weathering is the only answer :confused:

There is also the option of a proper repaint over the poor finish. Weathering wont hide a poor paint job completely.

very true on the money signs! yes and the the repaint job may happen?:tumbsup:

Given the 'alleged' black overspray and 'alleged' variability of the black panel positioning around the windows, would spraying the IE/IR white stripes above and below the black panel correct most of the problems? Ok decals would also be needed for intercity logos on the lower panels, but if these couches can be got for under €30-40 such an inexpensive modification could make sense for folks looking for IE/IR orange roofed mk2ds.

Given the 'alleged' black overspray and 'alleged' variability of the black panel positioning around the windows, would spraying the IE/IR white stripes above and below the black panel correct most of the problems? Ok decals would also be needed for intercity logos on the lower panels, but if these couches can be got for under €30-40 such an inexpensive modification could make sense for folks looking for IE/IR orange roofed mk2ds.

That may work if you want a different livery but it is about E35 for a full respray if you can't do it yourself. These are supposed to be rtr models not kits.

So cost of model plus respray plus possible additional price increase already announced by Marks Models due to weaker euro means these are some of the most expensive MM coaches of all time. MM has done nothing about it nor does it intend to by the looks of it.

You mention the word alleged like it is an allegation and not a fact. I have seen some and the paint separation is very fuzzy and not straight from end to end. I do feel sorry for MM as he is left with the stock. However the factory are at fault for sending out poorly painted models. As for spraying the 3 inch white lines there are the correct decals available. You won't however get away with applying decals and logos and passing these coaches off as IE or IR coaches as the main colour is wrong for that livery. Therefore if a full repaint of one of these into a correct shade for the Supertrain livery with the correct shade of paint and crisp separation between colours is what you want, you could be talking about €90 if they don't drop in price.

It is a shame it has happened but that's the risk when the product is being produced on the other side of the world.

Rich,

. MM has done nothing about it nor does it intend to by the looks of it.

There is no one more upset about these coaches than Paddy Murphy

All the good & hard work he has done over the last 15 years is at stake here

He has made contact with the manufacturers and is trying to address the problems

Its not like you can hop on the DART and drop over to them

These things take time and hopefully we should hear some news shortly

You mention the word alleged like it is an allegation and not a fact. I have seen some and the paint separation is very fuzzy and not straight from end to end. I do feel sorry for MM as he is left with the stock. However the factory are at fault for sending out poorly painted models. As for spraying the 3 inch white lines there are the correct decals available. You won't however get away with applying decals and logos and passing these coaches off as IE or IR coaches as the main colour is wrong for that livery. Therefore if a full repaint of one of these into a correct shade for the Supertrain livery with the correct shade of paint and crisp separation between colours is what you want, you could be talking about €90 if they don't drop in price.

It is a shame it has happened but that's the risk when the product is being produced on the other side of the world.

Rich,

Rich, I think that Noel is aware of problems with these but it has become a sensitive topic on this forum with some insisting that there is no problem. It's not in everyones interest to highlight the problem and some of the comments are probably not without bias. I'm sorry, it is what it is, guys!

I have not seen these coaches in the flesh. The US (internet based) supplier swears he has sold many of them and no complaints.

I am not quite as sympathetic to MM as you. If there is a problem with them, there has been nothing iterated to buyers regarding a hassle-free return or replacement of the poor quality of defective items. Not all are in poor shape but from what I hear from members maybe a third to half have problems. MM is fully aware of the problem and if it is unable to have this rectified with the supplier or does not wish to and the attitude is that they'll eventually all sell as we're such a tiny market with limited options, that certainly does not earn my respect or sympathy. MM dealing with this problem at the outset would have done a lot more to earn my trust in the company.

There is no one more upset about these coaches than Paddy Murphy

All the good & hard work he has done over the last 15 years is at stake here

He has made contact with the manufacturers and is trying to address the problems

Its not like you can hop on the DART and drop over to them

These things take time and hopefully we should hear some news shortly

+1 - well said daithi.

Dive - sort out your pm inbox. Its full.