Murphy Models 071 - New, detailed pre-production photos added!

Rate this topic

Admin

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
What DCC decoder works best with the light functions working etc without too much tweaking? Just ordinary drive chip, not sound.

Hi,

I'm using the Murphy Models dedicated decoder which works fine EXCEPT that the F2 High Beam only comes on when when the function button is being pressed and won't stay on ???

Frank, that's a function (sorry!) of your DCC system, not necessarily a fault with the Murphy chip.

How's that then you may well ask?

A lot of DCC systems emanate from the US where the acknowledged standard has the whistle or Horn on F2, and consequently some manufacturers (MRC?) make the F2 key non latching - ie will only stay on while it is being pressed...

Go against all your male conditioning and have a look in the manual (I know, I know...) to see if you can change it.

-Rob

Thanx Rob,

Suspected as much, as indeed my DCC system is American - CVP Easy DCC - probably unknown up there :banana:

Looks as though I'll have to take a deep breath and plunge into the unknown world of CV's :praying:

This from someone who believes electricity is the spoor of the Devil :bishopbrennan:

Dying to try a sound chip from Belfast in 112 , just as soon as the hidious expense of Christmas is over. I'm sure I'll find some use for the MM chip ;) ~ Roll on the Supertrain 071's :trains:

Hi,

I'm using the Murphy Models dedicated decoder which works fine EXCEPT that the F2 High Beam only comes on when when the function button is being pressed and won't stay on ???

Yeah, I have a Prodigy Advance and the F2 key is "non-latching". You can alter the CV settings but as far as I know functions 0 through 2 can't be operated by function keys 3 and above. I'm not exactly sure if this is true for all models of decoder....

You can programme the decoder so as to have the marker lights and headlight activated by F0 but I guess that spoils the fun of having seperate marker lights and headlights!

Hi,

Hi Guys been digging a bit and making enquiries and it all comes to the conclusion that I CAN'T change the function of the F2 button. Fortunately, as suggested here, it can be overcome and is no big deal with the non-sound decoder.

However,

After Christmas I'm looking at fitting a Belfast Model Shop sound decoder and I'm worrying :praying:that the function of the F2 button MAY be a big deal with the sound decoder, If it is set to control something that MUST be on.

Could anyone who has bought one of these decoders for the NIR # 112 please tell me what function the F2 button controls on it, please.

Much appreciated,

Ta muchly.

Hi Guys been digging a bit and making enquiries and it all comes to the conclusion that I CAN'T change the function of the F2 button. Fortunately, as suggested here, it can be overcome and is no big deal with the non-sound decoder.

However,

After Christmas I'm looking at fitting a Belfast Model Shop sound decoder and I'm worrying :praying:that the function of the F2 button MAY be a big deal with the sound decoder, If it is set to control something that MUST be on.

Could anyone who has bought one of these decoders for the NIR # 112 please tell me what function the F2 button controls on it, please.

Much appreciated,

Ta muchly.

You can change the function the F2 key controls but you probably can't change the the F2 key to latching. Are you able to programme CV's with your contoller?

F2 is short horn on our decoders so all will work fine. The decoders have up to 17 working functions on them so check your firmware is up to date to give you the full range

Thanx for that, much appreciated.

Be in touch after Christmas, when I see how many pennies the Boss (aka Mrs. Claus) has left me with :praying:

F2 is short horn on our decoders so all will work fine. The decoders have up to 17 working functions on them so check your firmware is up to date to give you the full range

That's great news, thanx for that.

Be in touch after Christmas when I see how many pennies The Boss (aka Mrs Claus) has left me with c:praying:

• 2 weeks later...

Just for some information, I tried the Bachmann chip 36-557 in my 112 model and all the function apart from the cab lights work and at £15.73 from Hattons gets the loco going on the cheap but still gives good running qualities and all the Head and marker light options without costing a fortune.

Just for some information, I tried the Bachmann chip 36-557 in my 112 model and all the function apart from the cab lights work and at £15.73 from Hattons gets the loco going on the cheap but still gives good running qualities and all the Head and marker light options without costing a fortune.

thanks for that !

Any word on the next 071 batch guys. Wrenn, anyone?

Last word was to expect them around mid Jan, are they still on time or is it too early in the year with things still getting back on track.

Getting itchy pockets for MM209 and MM230 too.:trains:

Waiting here with baited breath for a Supertrain 071 meself!

Any word on the next 071 batch guys.

Next batch will consist of seven models , expected departure from China just before the Chinese New

Year which I believe is early February.

There will be the orginal and Supertrain livery plus other liverys.

Start saving,put in for the overtime or bank overdraft or cancel the summer holidays !

None of the locos will be numbered 071,a completely different set of numbers will be available.

Regards

Joe