Murphy Models 071 - New, detailed pre-production photos added!

Rate this topic

Admin

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just while we are discussing livery details something I've not seen mentioned is the fact that 082 has the older style red flash type over head wire warning flashes on the prototype and they appear that way on the model. 071 has the latest yellow flashes and this is represented correctly on the model. There's no doubt that the locos chosen to be produced were well researched. I have spoken to an IE employee who is also an enthusiast (lucky boy) and he says that the four sliding windows were all from a 141 class loco and 112 did have four at the beginning of it's loan period down south. I have only ever seen three myself but I didn't see 112 up close for a good few months after she was loaned to IE.

There are detail differences between prototype locos that have been changed during overhaul down through the years. On some locos the lifting rings aren't at an angle (as per the models) on the panel where the roof fans are.

5551254947_0621d3fdfd_o.jpg

Some locos have one or more lifting rings on the roof panel behind the cab on the opposite end. If that kind of detail interests you then it is worth studying photos before you choose a model to renumber. I believe this is also the case on the 111 class. 082 also has had some small changes to the roof during overhaul. Personally the bogies are a bit two dimensional and should be more curved but it ain't a deal breaker. The IE logo is a bit too large on the cab sides of 071 and 082. The yellow warning panel is a bit wider on the prototype but it isn't anywhere as bad as the warning panels on 201, 222, and 229. I do hope the the livery and logos are corrected on 077 and 085 when they are released. In fairness the color of the numbers where changed to the correct style from what they were on the pre production models of 071 and 082 (more good research from PM) and I am confident that this will be the case with the errors on the models to be released later.

Rich,

I've just been having a look at some 071 pictures in my collection and there seem to be some details present on the chassis of the model above the fuel tanks. I wonder if these are representations of the lights that are used on the prototype when re fueling in poor light. If they are (although they are not working on the model) it is another great piece of capturing the look as accurately as possible. I'm getting to love the models more every day.

Rich,

• 2 weeks later...

Straight off the press

Due to arrive in Dublin 11/03/13:-

MM0073 IR weathered

MM0078 IE small logo

MM0080 IR

MM0086 CIE Supertrain

MM0088 CIE original

To follow the above, ETA tba:-

MM0077 IE

MM0085 IE weathered.

MM5210 IE Mkii Std blk/roof

MM5217 do.

MM5229 IE Mkii std. or/roof

MM5411 IE Restaurant 'Galway' livery

MM5601 IE EGV do.

Does anyone know if they fixed the white line in the headlight area of the ie and ir versions?

The cab side numbers were corrected on the freight liveried locos so I would be hopeful that the chevron will be on the IE-IR models. The large IE logo on the bonnet need to be a bit smaller also. The bonnet side IE logos on 071 and 082 are a bit large looking when compared to prototype pictures. They should have a black border which would have made them look closer to scale.

IE logo.jpg

Rich,

• Like 1

Does anyone know if they fixed the white line in the headlight area of the ie and ir versions?

Was just looking on Hattons website and noticed they have a picture of 077 and 080 with the above mentioned error corrected. Looks like side logo has been corrected also. Its the last picture in both of them:

http://www.ehattons.com/59127/Murphy_Models_MM0077_Irish_Class_071_111_diesel_locomotive_in_IE_livery/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.ehattons.com/59166/Murphy_Models_MM0080_Irish_Class_071_111_diesel_locomotive_in_NR_orange_black_livery/StockDetail.aspx

The only difference is the CIE logo. When they were delivered it was an all-white version, which was replaced later on with the proper version.

There's more to it than that, folks. As originally delivered the CIE roundel wasn't only in white, it was slightly larger than the standard type - but most of all, the "tan" colour was exactly that - very significantly darker and browner than the standard "orange". This would be the most fundamental issue on a model based around the earliest days. Thus, one might call that the "as-delivered" livery, soon to be repainted into (standard) "supertrain" livery, and later (after addition of the "tippex white" stripes), IR livery.

Forgot to tell you Rich, these are MODEL TRAINS

Jesus wept!

Dave I fully accept and respect your opinion. We were talking about livery errors and I was hopefully confident that they would be corrected on the IE-IR locos. Thankfully LMSNCC has posted a link that proves that the models have been corrected from the pre prod images, so huge respect to MM.

The photo I posted was the best example I could provide to explain clearly where things were amiss. I did commend MM for correcting the cabside numbers from the pre prod models of 071-082. Some people add extra details and some of the members here provide great services in weathering and painting to take the models to a new level and beyond what their customers would describe as model trains. It was just an observation and was not meant in any way to belittle the fantastic models that the 071's are. I just like the detail and printing side of the models to look right as it is one of the easiest parts of producing a model to get right. There are plenty of photos out there that can be used to aid production.. I personally can't wait for the IE locos to be available as they look amazing on the Hattons link posted by LMSNCC. Dave I hope that this has cleared things up, if it made it look like I was having a rant it wasn't my intention. No hard feelings.

Rich,

I would certainly agree with RedRich. My own interest in liveries is well documented on these boards, and I think that it is important to get this right - but under no circumstances would I ever do anything but commend and congratulate all here who make the things in the first place; I always wish I had skills like that.

Concerning the new IE locos, 077 and 078, and given the recent discussion on the logo, which has more grab to you, the larger 077 or the smaller 078, image-wise?

I was originally thinking the 078 because the recent freight ones have the larger ones and it provides a good contrast to them.

However, it does look quite small, comparing it to the size of the IR ones in the new batch.

On Eiretrains site, 078 appeared there with the larger IE livery. Does anyone know how long it held the smaller livery for and I presume it was unique in this, compared to the other 071's in the IE era?

Edited by Blu Bianco

Interesting question, I remember seeing 078 on Beet duty many years ago and it carried the small logo as modelled but the marker lights had been changed to the current LED type. I saw the loco sometime later (not to long after) and the larger logo was fitted. I would say that the time it ran with the small logo and revised LED marker lights was a lot shorter than the time frame that the model depicts with the old type lights.

I have a huge interest in liveries myself including some obscure arrangements and it's something I like to see modelled also. HTH and good luck with what ever loco you choose.

Rich,

Interesting question, I remember seeing 078 on Beet duty many years ago and it carried the small logo as modelled but the marker lights had been changed to the current LED type. I saw the loco sometime later (not to long after) and the larger logo was fitted. I would say that the time it ran with the small logo and revised LED marker lights was a lot shorter than the time frame that the model depicts with the old type lights.

I have a huge interest in liveries myself including some obscure arrangements and it's something I like to see modelled also. HTH and good luck with what ever loco you choose.

Rich,

I remember 078 at Inchicore in 1994-95 and I am not sure when she got

the small logo as my photo shows the bonnet section off at this stage.

Could It have been at this time 1994 that the small logo was applied?.

The last photo is in Enniscorthy station in july 2004,just before the plastics

took over.078 will be on my list for the next batch from Paddy.

078ic2001_zpsd102f3ff.jpg

078ic3001_zpse77012e6.jpg

078ennis001-2_zpsb7b88116.jpg

Great information Eamonn with photos as well. 078 had the large bonnet side logos in 2005 I have a shot of it somewhere. It would be nice to know when she was converted to the LED type marker lights, I am assuming 2002. If we take the model as it will be released then it's fair to say that she ran in that livery with old style marker lights small logo for 7-8 years, and maybe 2 or less years in the LED marker lights small logo configuration. I think it is an interesting model for MM to release, a bit to early for my plans but a tasty model all the same.

Rich,

Muprhy Models Class 071 Locomotives.

The next batch of Murphy Models Class 071 Locomotives will be available next week (wc 11/03), hopefully mid-week, and will comprise of the following:

No. 073 IR Weathered €169.99

No. 078 IE Small Logo €159.99

No. 080 IR €159.99

No. 086 CIESupertrain €159.99

No. 088 CIE Original Livery €159.99

All available to pre order online:

http://www.themodelshop.ie/murphy-models-class-071-locomotives-!136-cat.html

or by phone: 057 8621081

We also have stock currently of 071 IE Freight, 082 IE Freight and 112 NIR