Murphy Models 071 - New, detailed pre-production photos added!

Rate this topic

Admin

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next batch of Murphy Models Cl 071 locos are now available to pre-purchase for delivery on arrival, these are nos 073, 078, 080, 086, and 088. These are due just before St. Patricks Day. Free delivery within the 32 counties. See link below :

http://www.marksmodels.com/?cid=51

These can also be ordered by calling us on 01 4124829

We are also now stocking Busch scenic items, which are in stock in Hawkins St. see link below

http://www.marksmodels.com/?cid=529

While also on the subject of new ranges we are also now stocking Proses ballasting hoppers and accessories and Kadee american couplers both on the web and in Hawkins st. or can be got to any of our branches

order your locos now and don't be dissapointed.

In the case of 071s, there is a 121-esque issue in that they were delivered in a form of the livery not replicated on other engines, nor after their first repaint. they were in a very browny shade - not "orange" at all; this was applied in the States where GM obviously got the shade wrong. The black was the same. The CIE logo on the front was all white, instead of having white letters and a "golden brown" surround, and was somewhat larger than normal. After that, they were repainted in whatever the normal livery of the day was until their second "unique" livery of black and silver appeared. And by all accounts, they are all set now for another unique livery! A record?

The various liveries used since the sixties are generally descirbed as:

Black and Tan: Early 60s to mid 70s on various classes: orangey brown and black with upper white band. The orangey brown was variously full lower panel height, or a band lower down with a largely black side. Loco numbers on ends and larger on sides. 141s had no CIE roundel when delivered, though 181s did - and 141s later acquired them.

All Black: No, not rugby; a variation of the above from mid to late 60s (later on a few G's, D's and E's); all black but with white flashes above window level on ends only, though G class had it right round the top of the cab, sides and ends. At various times, and on various locos, logos and lettering on the sides varied; some versions had no CIE logo at all, others had the standard with orange surround and white letters. Loco numbers on ends in large version, and either mid-side large, or both ends lower side in smaller numerals.

CIE Supertrain: 1972-87: All over orange with broad black band equivalent to full depth of carriage window level, dipped or raised on ends. CIE roundel on loco ends only; white letters, orange surround. The delivery version on 071s was a corruption of this as described above. On the sides, loco numerals on both cabs at low level.

IR, or "Tippex" livery: 1987 - 1990ish; same as above, but with CIE roundel replaced by IR "set of points" logo on ends, and also appearing on the sides, mid black band. Numerals in same places, but white stripes (nicknamed "tippex" by some fitters in Inchicore) added separating the black from the orange at top and bottom of black band.

IE Livery: Same as above, but with "set of points" replaced by "Three Pin Plug" logo on ends, and by giant "plugs" on sides.

And here endeth the Orange and Black Era; welcome Enterprise liveries, apparently no two locos having an identical version, let alone when repainted; and both the original and altered colours; the green and grey of the "flying frogs" on the Cork line, and of course the hideous orange, black and yellow, with or without various sizes of yellow ends, as used on 201s from 1995. (Yes, I know; out of order chronologically; but it's 1 a.m.)

What's to be next? 077 in GSR livery? Oh... wait....

Thanks again achill for all that detailed information. I would love to see all this information displayed in table form showing liveries from CIE onwards for all locomotives and rolling stock. A similar one from UTA onwards would complete the all Ireland picture. To have this information easily accessible in the Resource Section would be of great benefit to all modellers – the information is definitely out there.

I'll see what I can do, Kirley. The main thrust of it is as above but there are always interesting one-offs for modellers, such as something a single loco or coach had, or that was not perpetrated long. E.g. a Craven with 1st class "1" on the doors, a loco running round for a while with no logos on it or (in at least one case) a "set of points" logo on each side, and a CIE roundel remaining on the ends! This pre-dated the "black'n'tan" era too - in "green days" there were possibly even more, though doubtless not all recorded.

E.g. a Craven with 1st class "1" on the doors, a loco running round for a while with no logos on it or (in at least one case) a "set of points" logo on each side,.

Just noticed something after all these years re the"set of points" logo on a Craven.

Have a look at my volume one video and look carefully at the Craven at 11 seconds in.

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/464-Irish-Railways-Volume-1

Wiggy.

071 Class Locomotives

The Eagle has Landed!!!!!!!!

Now in stock:

No. 073 IR Weathered €169.99

No. 078 IE Small Logo €159.99

No. 080 IR €159.99

No. 086 CIESupertrain €159.99

No. 088 CIE Original Livery €159.99

All available to

order online:

http://www.themodelshop.ie/murphy-mo...-!136-cat.html

or by phone: 057 8621081

We also have stock currently of 071 IE Freight, 082 IE Freight and 112 NIR

:jazz::dancing::dancing::dancing::fingersintheair:

I have a feeling they're the pre-production models there as the pristine IE version is not in the current run and the pics were uploaded yesterday. They look sweet though!

I have a feeling they're the pre-production models there as the pristine IE version is not in the current run and the pics were uploaded yesterday. They look sweet though!

I'd say they could be the real thing Fran. The chevrons have been corrected on both, and the paint finish on 077 is far superior to the pre production models on show last year. The weathered one isn't the worst factory finish I have ever seen.

Rich,

I'd say they could be the real thing Fran. The chevrons have been corrected on both, and the paint finish on 077 is far superior to the pre production models on show last year. The weathered one isn't the worst factory finish I have ever seen.

Rich,

Interesting, looking forward to see one up close.

It's probable that the models in the photo are samples of a production batch. Pictures of full production shot's of a Super Train, IR, and IE model have been on Hattons website for some time now. It's not uncommon for a Company to receive full production samples before the main orders are shipped from China. The release dates as mentioned over the last few weeks are still the dates that the models will arrive in the shops, with the IE 077 085 locos and MK11's arriving later. They do look good though.

Rich,