Murphy Models 071 - New, detailed pre-production photos added!

Rate this topic

Admin

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SA was to do with locos that could work air braked trains. For when the Mk3s just entered service.

The S was to indicate what locos had the CAWS fitted and the A was for what locos had their air brakes commissioned.

The SA started to appear in the early to mid '80s and ended with the IR livery in '87.

Edited by Railer

Anyone know why 078 in IE small logo livery was released with the ex-snatcher panels on the side of the cabs in black rather than orange, where as even 080 in the older IR livery has the ex-snatcher panels painted in orange? I presumed all along that this was a pre-production issue that would have been modified for the production version. Did 078 ever run with these panels painted black?

Yes they were when the loco was on loan to IE. There are some that say there were only three sliding windows done. It is possible that all four were done and the loco also received the LED light clusters. I believe they were salvaged from 151.

Rich,

Yes they were when the loco was on loan to IE. There are some that say there were only three sliding windows done. It is possible that all four were done and the loco also received the LED light clusters. I believe they were salvaged from 151.

Rich,

Thanks for the reply,it looks weird but nice at the same time.

Anyone know why 078 in IE small logo livery was released with the ex-snatcher panels on the side of the cabs in black rather than orange, where as even 080 in the older IR livery has the ex-snatcher panels painted in orange? I presumed all along that this was a pre-production issue that would have been modified for the production version. Did 078 ever run with these panels painted black?

I have never seen any pictures of 078 in any livery with the panels on the cab sides black. It might be that a photo of the loco was used as a guide for the as modelled livery that may have been taken in poor light or at an angle that make's the panels look black.

Rich,

Thanks Rich. It's a cracking model, but have to say am disappointed with the black catcher panels as they totally detract from an otherwise excellent model.

It is a bit strange looking as you say Iarnrod. In the end they are a fantastic model and it can be corrected. Personally I think the panels on the models that have them are a little well nourished looking, but it isn't a deal breaker.

Rich,

Snatcher panels were never black, unless they were within the area of the mid-body black band already. My own recollections are that they could get dirty or rusty looking at times, which could result in a poorly defined, distant, or poorly lit photograph appearing to show it in a darker colour. Also, 071s with the original all-white CIE emblem on the ends, i.e. in the "as-delivered" livery, should be a very distinctly darker shade or "orange" - in fact, closer to a light browny tan colour; certainly not orange as such. I haven't seen any of the new models yet but if i may make one small constructive remark - the photos of the models look more like the normal orange colour.

Guest hidden-agenda

Paddy has done his best so give up complaining your not allowed to. Remember Sulzergate. Lets get the posse together and get the complainer sorted.

Nice model PM if your reading this i am waiting on mine from Hattons.=D

Hello all,

concerning the tanishness of the first livery I found this picture on the internet, in my opinion original livery, snatchers already removed though. Well visible also the white roundel with the off-normal CIE letters and the difference in shade to the near Metrovicks.

http://railwayherald.com/imagingcentre/view/231633/IS410025011364455632

Perhaps rather for the ebaywatch section: Another snatcher anyone?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Irish-Railway-Lineside-Electric-Train-Staff-Manson-Exchanger-/310638475106?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item48537ef762

I have to add its one of a fixed installation, not of a locomotive.

Cheers,

Gerhard.