A Class - SF & Lima side by side

Rate this topic

Noel

Just received a Silverfox A class from SF direct. Overall very pleased, especially when compared with my Lima so called A class which is really a BR class 33 painted in super train livery. Glad I decided not to bother cannibalising the Lima as the chassis is a hideous runner. I will tweak a few things on the SF like correcting the white splash above the cab windows and lowering the tan band along the sides, but even as it stands I'm very happy with it compared to my Lima. May add some of the SSM detailing parts. Obviously being a resin body its not up to the same level of detail as injection moulded plastic bodies like MM models, but for a low volume manufacturer it ticks my boxes for now and am very pleased with it. The chassis is a nice runner too.

Silverfox A class near Lima A class (BR class 33)

IMG_4755.jpg

Side by side SF above, Lima below. The light weathering greatly helps the look of the SF.

IMG_4754.jpg

One above the other

IMG_4757.jpg

IMG_4756.jpg

Putting the Class 33 up against the Silverfox version is like talking about Donegal and Kerry GAA teams, and arguing over which one of them is going to win the All Ireland Senior Hurling Final.

They're both brutal.

Sums it up really, the negatives outweigh the pluses - of which there are hardly any

Edited by Blaine

Putting the Class 33 up against the Silverfox version is like talking about Donegal and Kerry GAA teams, and arguing over which one of them is going to win the All Ireland Senior Hurling Final.

They're both brutal.

Thanks. Well back in 1979 the Lima was the only way one could have a vaguely looking CIE diesel loco on a layout. Things change, standards ever rise. But at least the SF passes the duck test whereas the Lima fails the 1st test. It doesn't look remotely like a duck! :) Before the advent of MM quality I'd have been ecstatic with the SF, but now I am merely pleased with it. It'll do for now cause I don't see an MM one on the horizon and I'm not sure if 3D in the short term could compare with injection moulded plastic for fine scale detail and quality. But here is hoping and things are every changing. I'd speculate if MM did ever produce an A class they could probably outsell 121 by a factor of 3 to 1 in popularity. Anyway I just put the pics up so folks could see them side by side and make their own mind up either way.

Hey Blaine guess who was in the All Ireland Final last year? Noel has it right. If you want to model Irish then you have to accept compromises and in the current climate I suspect it will be a while before MM bring out a complete new model. A spot of weathering can hide a multitude.

Hey Blaine guess who was in the All Ireland Final last year? Noel has it right. If you want to model Irish then you have to accept compromises and in the current climate I suspect it will be a while before MM bring out a complete new model. A spot of weathering can hide a multitude.

Don t think.it was Blaine who made the comment!!!!

The days of sacrificing major details are gone thankfully, for any model to succeedit has to be realistic and neither the cl 33 or a standard sf a class meet todays standards.

Thanks. Well back in 1979 the Lima was the only way one could have a vaguely looking CIE diesel loco on a layout.

Back in those days the lack of rtr CIE locos or kits encouraged modellers to scratchbuild rather than wait in anticipation of MM bringing out a rtr model.

During the early 70s scratch built A Class hauled Supertrains or cement bubbles were not exactly un-common.

Some of the scratchbuilt and bashed rtr locos were far superior to either the Lima 33 or Silverfox Metrovicks.

Back in those days the lack of rtr CIE locos or kits encouraged modellers to scratchbuild.

Hear hear. Back then, due to the lack of it, we were encouraged to scratchbuild or kitbash to produce Irish rolling stock. We seem to have moved into an era of 'out of the box' modelling. This, of course, will produce the familiar cry of 'I don't have the skills to do that'. We all had to start somewhere, if you don't try, you don't succeed. I have to admit that some of my early builds were a bit suspect, but they did look like a representation of the prototype, and practice makes perfect. I still have some of my early models, and I still scratchbuild/kitbash where possible, even though a RTR model may be available.

Back in those days the lack of rtr CIE locos or kits encouraged modellers to scratchbuild rather than wait in anticipation of MM bringing out a rtr model.

During the early 70s scratch built A Class hauled Supertrains or cement bubbles were not exactly un-common.

Some of the scratchbuilt and bashed rtr locos were far superior to either the Lima 33 or Silverfox Metrovicks.

This is the thing - a real modeller will make his own rather than make do with whatever muck is available, then or now

Hear hear. Back then, due to the lack of it, we were encouraged to scratchbuild or kitbash to produce Irish rolling stock. We seem to have moved into an era of 'out of the box' modelling. This, of course, will produce the familiar cry of 'I don't have the skills to do that'. We all had to start somewhere, if you don't try, you don't succeed. I have to admit that some of my early builds were a bit suspect, but they did look like a representation of the prototype, and practice makes perfect. I still have some of my early models, and I still scratchbuild/kitbash where possible, even though a RTR model may be available.

This is the thing - a real modeller will make his own rather than make do with whatever muck is available, then or now

Forgive me gentlemen, but that sounds just a little bit condescending. I scratch build my model aircraft but I 'choose' to buy RTR model rail stock simple because generally RTR is of a far higher quality, and I don't have the time. I have never seen a scratch built, Q kit or MIR kit build of a CIE GM loco that looks remotely as good as a high quality Bachmann or Murphy model. Close up none of the best I've seen measure up against high quality mass produced RTR models. There are enough botched looking hand built, modified or repainted models out there. I did it myself 40 years ago and admit most of what I built back then was awful looking junk by todays standards.

As for the A class I have just bought (with a cheque book), it is just fine for now and good enough for my personal taste, until and if a higher quality injection moulded plastic model becomes available at some stage in the future, or perhaps even a 3D model that does not have dappled orange peel effect on flat surfaces and has fine scale details. I make no apologies for being an 'out of the box' modeller. I choose to spend my time on layout construction, layout scenery, and most importantly of all - running trains.

We are all different and are drawn by different aspects of the hobby, all are valid interests, but please don't slag off those that do not build their own model locos or suggest we are not 'real modellers'. We all have choice and valid reasons behind our choices. Now it is not my intention to cause a row or any bad feeling on this thread, I am sure no real offence was intended. So lets remain modelling pals, some of the layouts and models on this forum are awesome and inspiring. I am full of admiration for those who choose to build models to such high standards, and have both the skills and time to do so. :tumbsup:

Best regards

Noel

I will try and post a video in next day or so of the two different locos pulling coaches. Pictures can be better than words. :) Cheers all.

MODS: Please feel free to close this if you wish

Edited by Noel

Will leave that for the keyboard wackers, ahem Gurus........

You'd be a Guru yourself if you posted as many positive comments as you do negative ones....

A mod has already directed you both to move on from that point. If you can't, I'm happy to hand out infractions.

Think the forum is getting a bit antiseptic lads

If a couple of people want to air their views, let them at it

Couple of lads here I would love to give a lash to but my good upbringing refrains me from doing so

Not even handbags drawn and the mods are dishing out yellow cards

The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress

Just received a Silverfox A class from SF direct. Overall very pleased, especially when compared with my Lima so called A class which is really a BR class 33 painted in super train livery. Glad I decided not to bother cannibalising the Lima as the chassis is a hideous runner. I will tweak a few things on the SF like correcting the white splash above the cab windows and lowering the tan band along the sides, but even as it stands I'm very happy with it compared to my Lima. May add some of the SSM detailing parts. Obviously being a resin body its not up to the same level of detail as injection moulded plastic bodies like MM models, but for a low volume manufacturer it ticks my boxes for now and am very pleased with it. The chassis is a nice runner too.

Silverfox A class near Lima A class (BR class 33)

IMG_4755.jpg

Side by side SF above, Lima below. The light weathering greatly helps the look of the SF.

IMG_4754.jpg

One above the other

IMG_4757.jpg

IMG_4756.jpg

Well Noel, I have to hand it to you, that sf do's look the business, fair play to you, compared to the Lima it do's look more like the prototype, we do have to remember we had to go to foreign shores long before someone here decided to do something about the lack of models of Irish locos, so lets no nock their efforts, as for myself I'm happy with my Lima's, so here's a question for you, what if you painted the Lima into the sf colour scheme, would the difference be so obvious at a glance, looking forward to the video,

Edited by burnthebox

Paul

Bite the bullet and get a Silver Fox one

The Lima one is a toy and whereas the S/Fox has its detractors it is an awful lot better than a Lima

If you get a baccy fitted chassis, happy days

I will look for my Q Kit one and bring it along on Sunday and you can compare it to a S/Fox and Lima one