Greystones Model Railway Layout.

Rate this topic

closetmodeller

With the assistance of Eoin Murray, I have commenced a bench-top layout [out and back], loosely based on Greystones Station. This is the only part of the Dart which is an electrified and single track main, hence my interest. The photographs show work in progress.

I am indebted to Dave Lindfield for the construction of the baseboard.

Greystones 01WP_20150113_19_54_12_Smart (640x444).jpg

The Dart.

Greystones 03 WP_20150113_19_53_07_Smart.jpg

The newly completed baseboard.

Greystones 04 WP_20150102_18_30_54_Pro (640x360).jpg

Photocopied templates used to determine layout.

Edited by closetmodeller
  • Like 1

Great stuff. I've a particular interest in your project as I live in Greystones. I am going to do a new layout soon and I'm thinking of using part of the Bray/Greystones route in the layout, particularly the caves.

Hi Ray

Bray Head layout would be a fascinating project, I've done some preliminary sketches of the like, very hard to scale down at OO gauge to fit in a home layout but would be amazing;-

You should consider the Modular Layout System for this;- http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2465-Modular-OO-Layouts?p=37052&viewfull=1#post37052

Eoin

Hi

We did our station site inspection today- of all gloomy days!

Here is closetmodeller carrying out the station platform tarmac survey- way, way off in the distance. There is a kind of old style black & white quality to this photo?

GS-00 GloomyDay IMG_4697.jpg

The station building is very nice but suffers from inconsiderate placement of ducting, signs and all kinds of stuff, though necessary for the running of things but badly thought out!

A bit of maintenance wouldn't go a miss

Eoin

Hi Eoin,

I don't have the room so I am thinking of copying a couple of the tunnels and part of Bray Head. With your DART that I ordered I think it would look amazing.

Hi Ray

Bray Head layout would be a fascinating project, I've done some preliminary sketches of the like, very hard to scale down at OO gauge to fit in a home layout but would be amazing;-

You should consider the Modular Layout System for this;- http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2465-Modular-OO-Layouts?p=37052&viewfull=1#post37052

Eoin

Hi All

Here are a few photos of progress, track is now down and points wired, though a few kinks to be sorted. The sod has been cut and the station platforms, the road bridge and the timber yard foundations are installed. There is a hold-up area behind the timber yard screen through the road bridge- that's the track on to Wicklow town!

GS-01 IMAG1523.jpg

GS-02 IMAG1522.jpg

GS-03 IMAG1519.jpg

GS-04 IMAG1527.jpg

GS-05 IMAG1525.jpg

GS-06 IMAG1528.jpg

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

What material did you use to make the platforms, bridges and walling . Looks great. Is it available?

Paudie

Hi Paudie

As Dave says- it's foam- Woodies best- I use standard aero-board insulation for flat stuff like the platforms and building up under things, it comes in all thickness's up to 50mm. Then the pink stuff is polyester roof insulation, its very similar to art foam (the blue stuff) but half the price- its used for detail and structures, its much stronger and comes 60mm thick and it can be cut down to slivers of .5mm.

All cut with hot wire cutter on a board with a few straight edges, set-square, and paper templates from the drawings pinned to the foam.

Ventilation is a must when cutting and stay away from the Kingspan stuff- nasty black smoke!

I can post a picture of the set-up if you like

Eoin

Hi Paudie

No need for plaster, unless you want, I usually use PVA or MDF sealer straight on the foam then undercoat and apply scenic. Where the model may get a bit of ware and tare one can use a hessian material with a few coats of PVA, it gives a very strong reinforced plastic finish to the surface.

Eoin

• 2 months later...

Hi

Here is a small update on Closetmodeller's Greystones Layout, work has been progressing slowly but we are having fun;-

Track is finally down with the ballast now to be completed

Blue sky painted in and everything under-coated

Closetmodeller cut and mounted the preliminary drawing of the station building to get an idea

GS-07 IMAG1619.jpg

GS-08 IMAG1618.jpg

GS-09 IMAG1621.jpg

GS-10 IMAG1620.jpg

Finally Closetmodeller's vintage steam loco!

GS-11 IMAG1622.jpg

Eoin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Progress on Greystones Station scenics proceeds.

The model is very loosely based on Greystones. Obviously, much remains to be done. Wiring has been converted from analogue to digital control.

Scenic WP_20150828_12_46_31_Smart (2).jpg

The master modeler himself does the paintwork. Grassing and greenery are the next tasks.

Scenic WP_20150828_12_46_31_Smart (3).jpg

Beach being prepared for water and sanding.

Scenic WP_20150828_12_46_31_Smart (5).jpg

View to the South, showing road bridge and rock formations.

• 1 month later...

Some additional work on developing scenics

MR1 WP_20150928_22_11_34_Smart.jpg

The sea shore grows

MR2 WP_20150928_22_14_13_Smart.jpg

foothpath through sand dunes

MR3 WP_20150928_22_14_22_Smart.jpg

141 sits on ramp to "timber yard". The blue item is a 3D printed IE buffer, placed on track for comparison purposes.

MR4 WP_20150928_22_14_43_Smart.jpg

Panoramic view of beach, etc.

MR6 WP_20150928_22_15_53_Smart.jpg

The trial 3D printed buffers. [i had only blue "ink"!]

MR WP_20150928_22_14_59_Smart.jpg

Cliff and bridge separating "timber yard" from storage area.

MR WP_20150928_22_15_40_Smart.jpg

Edited by closetmodeller