Greystones Model Railway Layout.

Rate this topic

closetmodeller

Fantastic looking layout.

I'm noticing more and more these days the attention to detail in those layouts which have a strong scenic element. Doubtless this is due to an ever greater variety of ever more realistic modelling materials, plus, of course, the essential element of the layout owner's artistic talents and modelling skills.

This is one of them!

I'm noticing more and more these days the attention to detail in those layouts which have a strong scenic element. Doubtless this is due to an ever greater variety of ever more realistic modelling materials,

personally I find thats good for me

plus, of course, the essential element of the layout owner's artistic talents and modelling skills.

cause I seriously suck at art . !

Edited by Junctionmad

Hi All

Thanks for the comments and looking in

Today we set up the catenary masts which arrived on site last week, there was a trial run of the switch cabin, and some palisade fencing was erected on the South-Eastern boundary of the station to stop the riff-raff bunking in from the beach....

GS-137 IMAG2694.jpg

The support spars for the catenary wires are in manufacture at the moment, but we set up the posts to work out location and heights the masts need to be trimmed to.

GS-138 IMAG2697.jpg

GS-139 IMAG2702.jpg

GS-140 IMAG2713.jpg

GS-141 IMAG2714.jpg

GS-142 IMAG2708.jpg

GS-143 IMAG2710.jpg

GS-144 IMAG2715.jpg

Oh! there's the 01.00 o'clock Commuter up from Wicklow! better go and meet me Mam for lunch.......

GS-145 IMAG2718.jpg

Eoin & CM

Edited by murrayec

• 3 weeks later...

China Trees to Irish

These shiny green China trees need a bit of attention for the layout

GS-146 IMAG2764.jpg

So a bit of spraying was done

GS-147 IMAG2767.jpg

GS-148 IMAG2769.jpg

and this is what I used

GS-148 IMAG2770.jpg

Green & and a little brown mixed and sprayed overall, black added to the pot and sprayed here n there from underside to give a bit of shadow, and then yellow to give a highlight sprayed random from above...

Eoin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Another layer down, this time gorse bushes- chopped up sponge, poster paint and a bit of yellow flock. The work crew were out chopping up a fallen tree for firewood.....

GS-150 IMAG2800.jpg

GS-151 IMAG2792.jpg

GS-152 IMAG2794.jpg

GS-153 IMAG2797.jpg

GS-154 IMAG2795.jpg

and of course the coffee, cake n trains

GS-149 IMAG2789.jpg

Eoin & CM

Edited by murrayec

• 4 weeks later...

Friday again and back to Greystones.....

We got a layer of gorse down, again this was done by coloured liquidised sponge, some laid out free mode and glued down with dilute PVA, and others prepared on small armatures- see the rock at the 'Bray-End-Bridge'. A smattering of fine light Heki flock was added contrasting nicely with the dark green 'sponge', it now needs a bit of bright yellow flock and this layer is finished.

GS-155 IMAG2858.jpg

GS-156 IMAG2862.jpg

GS-157 IMAG2864.jpg

GS-158 IMAG2859.jpg

GS-159 IMAG2860.jpg

GS-160 IMAG2866.jpg

GS-161 IMAG2861.jpg

We added some sand pathways to the 'Bray-End-Fiddle-Yard' This had not been planned so it went down on top of the static grass so we'll have to wait and see how it looks when the PVA dries, gorse and brambles were added in this area to, and the buffer stops festooned with grass tufts n flock.

Eoin & CM

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We only did track maintenance today, those Hornby points were giving trouble again, some more packing to the check rail and in the frog well, all is running fine again.

Discussed the ballast wagons, did coffee and chocolate cake also!

I took a few shots of the gorse layer at the timber yard end;-

GS-162 IMAG2915.jpg

GS-163 IMAG2916.jpg

GS-164 IMAG2920.jpg

GS-165 IMAG2919.jpg

Eoin & CM

• 2 months later...

Hi

We decided to reduce the glare off the street lights with some shields to the leds, as the layout is designed to be run sitting down so the lights are at eye level and are in your face if turned up to full power (we have a baseboard-dave led remote controller installed)

Some shim brass was cut into 1mm strips, chopped up, bent to shape, metal blackened, and stuck on to each light...

GS-177 IMAG3215.jpg

GS-178 IMAG3216.jpg

Works great

GS-179 IMAG3217.jpg

Eoin

We decided to reduce the glare off the street lights with some shields to the leds, as the layout is designed to be run sitting down so the lights are at eye level and are in your face if turned up to full power (we have a baseboard-dave led remote controller installed)

Excellent job - ideal to reduce light pollution, with the Perseid meteor shower due in a fortnight.