Robert's Workbench

Rate this topic

RobertRoche

I picked up 10 double beet wagons from Leslie at Bangor. I really enjoyed putting them together and hope to do more in the future. They are sprayed with Halfords red primer, I am unsure whether I should spray them brown now or just apply lots of weathering.

Hi Robbie, Nice job they look great. Are the chassis less fiddly to work on then the single beats? Noel

Prototypical colours seemed to vary greatly anyway from various shades of grey, bauxite, brown, etc

NIR-112-with-laden-beet-Tay.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

With a liberal coating of South Wexford mud from the beet, they weathered to a greyish brown colour, to such an extent that the original brown (and yes, that's way too red) was completely obscured. So much so, that operating them in a pristine state would be akin to a "wrong livery", same as an all silver A or C class loco, or tin van!

So the solution is to very heavily weather them, and all will look good.

As said already its nothing a light coating of brown can't sort out.Nice work by the way they look very well.

I gave four of them a coat of flat brown yesterday - picture to follow.

So the solution is to very heavily weather them, and all will look good.

Weathering to definitely follow. Toning down of the brown, perhaps dry brush with some greys and add dirt and grime.

Hi Robbie, Nice job they look great. Are the chassis less fiddly to work on then the single beats?

I didn't make any of the single beets, this is the first railway kit that I have done. I found the chassis to be grand, I only had to trim the back off a few brake shoes where it was catching a wheel. I did however manage to put the brake gear on the wrong side of the wagon, despite the instructions clearly stating which way they should go.

Thanks for the pictures and video!

Lovely work on thos Beets wagons Robbie. I love the notion of running off a number of wagons at one time to produce an immediate rake of ready to run wagons. What tends to slow me down is when it comes to the painting and the tedium that can bring. Your efforts are giving me an enthusiasm to look at a couple of kits again though. :cheers:

Paul

Oh wow, spot on with the colour, very nice.

Thanks Nelson.

A shade lighter, perhaps? - to blend in with the local mud washed off the beet!

Would you be able to suggest a colour? I used Tamiya acrylic XF10 flat brown on these.

Have a rattle through this thread - http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/1203-Beet-wagons-what-colour-were-they

RedRich of this parish has provided some tasty in traffic shots, which would echo JHB's sentiments above.

Richie.

Great reference there, I will definitely try to replicate some of the weathering in those shots.

Your efforts are giving me an enthusiasm to look at a couple of kits again though. :cheers:

Paul

Good - this beet kit was really simple and good fun. I have many projects on the go, most of which have been sitting untouched for a while, hoping to get back to them shortly.

Very nice build, well done, like the colour as well.

can I ask did you use tamiya acrylic spray or brush paint the wagons.

maybe you will post more photos if you weather the wagons .

cheers John.

Hi John, I sprayed the wagons with an airbrush. I diluted the paint slightly with IPA and it went on very well.

• 2 months later...

<Hi Robbie, Nice job they look great. Are the chassis less fiddly to work on then the single beats? Noel>

Noel, as Robert has already replied, he hasn't had the pleasure of making Mr Bulleid's pretty delicate brake gear!

The Double beet's brake gear is a simple single casting - well two, as there's one on each side - as the observant will know, quite different arrangements, for such was the brake gear of the 25xxx flats which the doubles were planted on.

Robert - it's quite humbling to see a big rake of the wagons - so thanks for posting the pics. I'm sending Michael the link - as the craftsman behind the wagon (I just "provoke him"), he'll be delighted. Good luck with the weathering - as other have mentioned the "colour" is a matter for conjecture (and possibly personal taste). They really DID get bogging dirty!

For those of you who are tempted, plenty more where Robert's came from!

Leslie

• 3 months later...

I've run out of glue O.o sorry for the poor quality picture.

S1490003.thumb.JPG.f71667a8513ee2ca245016dec424da7c.JPG

23 hours ago, jason brady said:

Very nice Robbie, that'll be proper rake when finished.Is that 20 you have now?

Yes 20 of them. I will get a video of them in one train when done.

2 hours ago, RedRich said:

25 laden wagons in a rake. Mind you the inside looks so nice that they deserve to be run empty. If one was stuck for space Campile would be a lovely little station to model.

Rich,

Plans in my head for Wellingtonbridge....I'd need another 100 wagons for that though!

1 hour ago, John-r said:

The colour on yours looks smashing.  any idea on how you'll approach the weathering.

Not sure yet. I'll put the decals on and try some weathering powders and airbrushing.

• Like 2

A hundred, Robert? Hmm, we'll have to work out a discount scheme!

Can't wait to see the rake - you certainly don't hang about, as you'd only bought them a few hours ago. At least the other guys can see that they're easy to build!

Richie, Old Boy, I brought twenty odd home with me (after selling about twice that, which is seriously good in the "Kit Business").  You can get one from Anthony McDonald of IRRS fame any Tuesday "Library Night" at Heuston. 

Leslie

• Like 1

You're getting there, a double headed pair of babies will look the business. Actually a baby and a 121 will look even better. I always loved watching a laden Beet train running through Waterford Plunkett it made a different sound to everything else with the rattling of the wagons. Nice kit and well put together.

Rich,

9 hours ago, robbie58 said:

I got 11 wagons primed today.  There are 16 to paint brown next and then all 20 for decals.

Impressive speed and work Robbie.  Looking forward to seeing them evolve and running.  Are you planning to run with model 'beat' in them when finished?

I have to admit I was never a big fan of the beets and was always in two minds whether to start a rake or not, but their really beginning to grow on me of late especially since watching you working away on them over the last few weeks Robbie.I think I'll definitely be adding them to the "to do" list in the near future.

• Like 1

thats some work load, I called a halt after building & priming five, with ten more to build.  They are a very enjoyable wagon to

build.    Leslie certainly brought out a winner in this kit and the bullied single beet wagons , fantastic kits.

your shade of brown looks very convincing Robbie,,.  Great job and very well done.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I got a new compressor recently which allowed me to finish most of the painting on the beet wagons. I forgot to drill the holes for the couplers on ten of them so I can't finish them all for the moment. Some decals and weathering to follow, and eventually a few shots of them running.

5a81eef2048fd_IMAG0072Cropped.thumb.jpg.578daa60c4b21f6729634fb0c413802f.jpg

Edited by robbie58
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 2