Robert's Workbench

Rate this topic

RobertRoche

Thanks everyone...there is a lot of detail on them, and I'm going to have to print one or two extra decals for them also.

10 hours ago, iarnrod said:

Nice job. What brand and colour code of yellow paint did you use for the autoballasters?

I used Humbrol No. 69 acrylic on these as discovered somewhere else on this forum. It is not a direct match to the Bachmann model as it appears to be a touch lighter in person.

I had not used Humbrol acrylics before and was not impressed...they sprayed nicely but 6 weeks after the final coat I am not sure that the paint has fully hardened. Will stick with Tamiya acrylics in the future, and Humbrol enamels.

Edited by RobertRoche
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 10:45 PM, RobertRoche said:

Main decals done tonight. Now have to design a few additional details, print and put on. Indoor lighting used and decals not sealed yet.

1.JPG.cf54a1ce3bcda3415d1560661dcf8cb5.JPG

2.JPG.0069b26e80112b8074687ee7d4190b9a.JPG

Nice autoballasters, Robert.  Both old and new Irish Rail logos fit perfectly against the yellow livery.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This week I made a start on RPSI 3173 from a Bachmann BSK donor. I also picked up 6 MIR curtain cement pallet wagons and put them together this afternoon.

Another job was to attempt to straighten the chassis on a completed beet wagon which was warped. A dip in some hot water and cooling under weight seems to have removed most of the wobble.

IMG_2344.JPG.9355fd827ae606aaf874ad56ef049a0b.JPG

Edited by RobertRoche
  • Like 8
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RobertRoche said:

Can anyone recommend a blue for the curtain cement wagons please?

IMG_2345.JPG.357238b7ef750ed393d05c3b231a87b5.JPG

RPSI 3173 has also progressed this weekend - painting next week.

IMG_2346.JPG.730eba0548517180f55e3b59e0b1f403.JPG

Hi Robert. I used Tamiya XF-18 on the bodies and chassis's on my cement wagons.I later repainted the chassis's  black as I felt they looked better when weathered. As far as I can remember the curtain was done in Revell 52 gloss blue. The XF-8 that you have there looks ok to me, but as always with these things you don't really know until the colour is applied.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jason brady said:

Hi Robert. I used Tamiya XF-18 on the bodies and chassis's on my cement wagons.I later repainted the chassis's  black as I felt they looked better when weathered. As far as I can remember the curtain was done in Revell 52 gloss blue. The XF-8 that you have there looks ok to me, but as always with these things you don't really know until the colour is applied.  

Thank you, I'll give it a go.

• Like 1

Colours look fine to me Robert. As JB has said they were a really rich blue when clean, and did look darker. Over time due to general ware and tare they tended to fade quite badly which is why the shade of blue can look alot lighter in certain photos. Lovely work by the way, very nice paint job. 

• Like 4