Robert's Workbench

Rate this topic

RobertRoche

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

The exhaust looks like it is ready for a roof mod on a MK2 gen coach  Very handy if it is - your build or ?  As I could happily use some .

Hi Robert, these parts are scratch built with styrene, and probably oversize for the MK2...choose a smaller diameter tube! Styrene is easy to bend using a gentle heat.

• Informative 1

Thanks for reply, very nicely made I had wondered it  work as a master for resin copies but I think I can work up what I would want - batch build I guess , like many just need to stop the world long enough to do some modelling !  I look forward to seeing the exhaust attached to a model.

Robert   

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Broithe said:

See if it works with hair - there's a few on here who might be interested...  PIMP

Being follically challenged, it's a method I've already tried Broithe, with little success. The PVA tends to disintegrate once you get into the shower, loosing your newly applied hair in the process. Nice work Robert, it's something I've been meaning to invest in for a while now. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 1/5/2020 at 4:45 PM, JasonB said:

Being follically challenged, it's a method I've already tried Broithe, with little success. The PVA tends to disintegrate once you get into the shower, loosing your newly applied hair in the process. Nice work Robert, it's something I've been meaning to invest in for a while now. 

Few more of us on here in the same boat Jason. We should start a right said fred tribute band, I'm to sexy for my bubbles. Mind you I was on a stag do in Killarney 20 odd years ago and there were a few guys playing music in a bar. They said the next band would be out soon. They returned a few minutes later with skin coloured swimming hats on and called themselves right said ned. The locals loved it though.

Rich,

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• 3 weeks later...

The workbench has been very slow - a project that I have been working on is this Dapol B800 track cleaner. I'm not sure how well it cleans the track, but Irish Rail will soon be taking delivery of this track vacuum machine! Painting, details, decals  and weathering to be added, but at least it is operational. Unsure if I will go for CIÉ/IR or modern Irish Rail logos.

IMG_4338.thumb.JPG.5a7a5d9e36146aa0c7c5e03e97c4b1e2.JPG

IMG_4340.thumb.JPG.9f8f6b0f4ef0b295991f803bdfc0d4d7.JPG

IMG_4342.thumb.JPG.abcf92e6f01c3ddfd9e8ce1527168df9.JPG

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 12:39 AM, flange lubricator said:

The Beet 40' looks very good .

2 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

The beet container does look very good and gets my vote - 10/10. I short rake of 4 would fit nicely ! 

Thanks, it will hopefully look better when painted and weathered!

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Superb @RobertRoche. Did you do print it yourself or using a print agency? Clearly a nice job on the cad. 

Thanks Noel. I printed it on my Prusa MK3S which took 6 hours. It is PLA -  I tried a test with PETG also. It is pretty study with 2 layers in most places using a 0.4mm nozzle. I have a 0.25mm nozzle but am not sure if it will be of benefit to what little detail there is on it, not to mention almost doubling the print time.

342812021_2020_02.19CAD.thumb.png.74ce5ea37d9bf5f7034900aabf2c1b3d.png

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

• 1 month later...

Some progress on the workbench. I have started printing of the 40 foot beet wagon bodies and will have a rake of 10 shortly. I tried some heavy weathering on a provincial wagons container and finally finished my model of the Rosslare Harbour lifeboat 5 years after starting it. The decals on this Airfix model are poor quality but I'm just happy that it is done.

IMG_4401.thumb.JPG.6d2e30ea2ac6222cfdfb1b2b8326c3aa.JPGIMG_4405.thumb.JPG.31aefab4cfe262affd51e2df8b0022aa.JPGIMG_4393.thumb.JPG.f80bfd2fb713c83b44c3ede1f5a5945f.JPG

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Over one week I put together a 4 foot long test board - mainly to be used for testing DCC equipped stock; it is also divided into electrical blocks to test detection and automated running in the future. I used scenery materials that I have had for over 10 years, and would probably not use on a 'real' layout.

I also produced and applied decals to a HGV.

IMG_4473.thumb.JPG.825efeb600b59c57ae547f8e38bf7271.JPG

IMG_4476.thumb.JPG.8ed7c21fc49c108ff67541a1d817f923.JPG

IMG_4483.thumb.JPG.8b7b7ae3bd00fc538acae93b62d7749b.JPG

IMG_4484.thumb.JPG.d5777e9c201e132ff60ef20f4ae8ad16.JPG

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

I am trying to decipher what the white and yellow notice on the side of these beet wagons says. Each wagon seemed to have a number on the other end in the form of 'BT 9' etc. The decals on the model will be quite small, and there are a few other issues with my model that I have noticed, including the omission of the end doors to name one. The models are primed for painting now.

Q.thumb.png.96db4792c67fa357bd00204116ea016d.png

20200730_234417.thumb.jpg.be547c138e556dedb108ace4c09f1976.jpg

I may revise the 3D model for a future rake.

• Like 3

Home Printed Decals

I print a lot of decals at home. I use Microsoft Word and AutoCAD to reproduce the art.

Software Options

The decals are printed on Mr Decal Paper (sourced on eBay) using a home inkjet printer set to the highest resolution. Most decals print well, but some are just too small to print on most home machines.

Mr. Decal Paper

Once the ink has dried, I give the decals several coats of spray varnish. It is important to give enough coverage so that the decals won't run when exposed to water.

Once ready, any of the usual methods and products for applying decals can be used. 

End Result

• Like 5