Photographic Website Updates

Rate this topic

Evening folks,

Saturday 24th December 2016:

Just one from Killarney showing 22030 departing from the station with the 1305 Tralee - Mallow.

Click http://smu.gs/2hC0nyc to view the full size image.

May I also take this opportunity to wish all visitors to the website a very Merry and Peaceful Christmas.

DSC_5916-S.jpg

Edited by thewanderer

Evening folks,

Thursday 29th December 2016:

As dusk was falling I visited Portarlington station to photograph 231 hauling failed MKIV set 4006 and loco 218 from Ballybrophy to Heuston. The loco had failed while working the 1220 Cork - Heuston and was terminated at Ballybrophy with passengers transferred to the following 1320 Cork - Heuston. Plus photos of a few other odds and sods.

Click http://smu.gs/2iJqAiT to view all the images.

DSC_6041-M.jpg

Evening all,

Friday 30th December was another poor day for the loco fleet with 234 working the 0900 Heuston - Cork failing between Mallow and Cork in the Burnfort area. Cork Thunderbird 229 was sent to assist it and hauled it into Cork where it arrived 90 minutes late. Photos from the day include Clonkeen, Lisduff & Templemore showing 201 Class and MKIV sets.

Click http://smu.gs/2hCDDSQ to view.

DSC_6068-M.jpg

. . . 0900 Heuston - Cork failing between Mallow and Cork in the Burnfort area. Cork Thunderbird 229 was sent to assist it and hauled it into Cork where it arrived 90 minutes late. . . .

Great pics as ever.

One of the advantages of BRs 125 Intercity fleet was a power unit at each end so at least they could limp home under their own power at reduced speed if one power unit failed. Does anybody know if a 201/Mk4 set fails but a second 'rescue' loco is coupled up to the failed loco, can it still be driven in the opposite direction from the DVT?

Great pics as ever.

One of the advantages of BRs 125 Intercity fleet was a power unit at each end so at least they could limp home under their own power at reduced speed if one power unit failed. Does anybody know if a 201/Mk4 set fails but a second 'rescue' loco is coupled up to the failed loco, can it still be driven in the opposite direction from the DVT?

If it's like our Class 68's on Chiltern, then the failed loco is dead hauled, in the case of a 68, you isolate a few cocks in the clean air compartment. Then drive from the DVT as normal.

That's never happened here and I can't see it happening. Assistance usually comes from the front.

We have only spare 68 on Chiltern, which is kept at Chiltern's Wembley depot. So if you fail, the loco can be put in front of the DVT or attached to the failed loco, all depends where you have failed and what end is easier to get to. Like the Irish network, we don't have the luxury of 4 track working. Touch wood, it has'nt happened yet!!!!

With 2017 upon us its time to reveal the 2016 Year in Review.

This gallery contains over 400 photos and videos from the past 12 months from the railways of Ireland.

Enjoy the gallery and let's hope 2017 will be just as interesting.

From a personal viewpoint the painting of 071 into its original CIE Supertrain livery was certainly the highlight of the year for me.

Let's see what 2017 will bring us....

Click http://smu.gs/2hX3lNX to view.

DSC_9506-M.jpg

Thanks for posting guys. Two absolutely stunning sets of rail photography.

Finbar I feel very nostalgic looking at the BR 125 sets - 40 years and still going strong. That's maximising asset earnings. I travelled frequently on them in the 80s and 90s. Never had a model 125 mind you. :)

Evening all,

I didn't think my first train trip of 2017 would be on a 22000 set on the Nenagh branch! But that is what happened today.

Due to a large number of passengers travelling to Limerick this morning on the 1005 Ballybrophy - Limerick service, mostly from Cloughjordan, which was organised by the Nenagh Rail Partnership for their annual outing to "Limerick on Ice" (Ice skating). Iarnrod Eireann decided to allocate the Limerick - Limerick Jct ICR set to the evening Ballybrophy service. I travelled north from Nenagh to Ballybrophy on it.

Click http://smu.gs/2iBLyPQ

DSC_6192-M.jpg

Evening all,

I've been away in the UK for the past week, mainly visiting family (and with a day out in Derby for bus photographs). However, I did get a few railway-related photos as well.

Gedling Colliery opened in the 1890's and closed in 1991. The former rail-served site is now a country park, but some of the original railway equipment survives. In the hour or two spent walking around the park, I observed a former bridge (still maintained by Network Rail), rail-built bufferstop, telegraph pole, embedded rails, baseplate and a rather interesting chair. Click on any of the photos below or the link at the end to view them all

32188320635_3763fee657_z.jpg

31378242553_32993b45dd_z.jpg

32070568851_0ab4e4391f_z.jpg

31378374463_90f5272879_z.jpg

32070715291_a4fa6cb21b_z.jpg

32040118022_067c3620ea_z.jpg

Album Link -

Regards,

Kieran

Evening all,

The next batch of photos from my weekend in London have now been uploaded to the website.

The main event of the day was the Branch Line Society's "The Vossloh Voyager" which traversed three much sought after depot / yard lines and other interesting track including East Putney in both directions. The 8-coach train was formed of the two Class 455 EMUs that have been recently used as the test bed for the new Vossloh Kiepe three phase AC traction motor project – 5732 and 5870. In recognition of the special train, all profits will be donated to SWT's nominated charity, Railway Benefit Fund (RBF). A grand total of £14,500 was raised.

All the photos from the railtour can be viewed at http://smu.gs/2iXMmvt

The other non-railtour images from Saturday include visits to:

- Clapham Jct.

- Waterloo.

- Stockwell.

- Brixton

- Kingly Court Underground Station. It's not what you think it is ;)

These can be viewed at http://smu.gs/2jetJEH

DSC_7003-M.jpg

DSC_6924-M.jpg

DSC_7091-M.jpg

Morning all,

A few more from my Nottingham stay at the beginning of the month. As always, click on the photo to view them full size

32288501495_81ea4f89b9_z.jpg

I was lucky enough to have a walk through the remains of a Nottingham Suburban Railway tunnel at Sneinton. Now in use as a club shooting range, it is very dry and very bright - which makes a change for railway tunnels!

32139045292_de146af9f9_z.jpg

31446866924_e27c22437b_z.jpg

31912066460_e9824926cd_z.jpg

Album link -

Regards,

Kieran