Photographic Website Updates

Rate this topic

Good evening all,

The final update from last week is now available, with a trip to a wet Drogheda, with stop offs on the way back at Malahide, Rush and Lusk and Howth.

It always rains when I go to Drogheda for some reason. Place must not like me!

Click on any of the photos below to view them full size

33210618750_c378b610b3_z.jpg

32779852803_f74d9f2b45_z.jpg

33437299112_8fded7bc39_z.jpg

33592937165_1dd5050173_z.jpg

Album link - https://www.flickr.com/photos/hurricanemk1c/albums/72157678385415183/with/32750418124/

Regards,

Kieran

Just back from a short visit to my other former home town of London where I managed to bag a few pics of my old time fave, the HST. Might be of interest to some!

33680940055_2934f0faef_b.jpg43182 Paddington by franburke, on Flickr

Fabulous collection of excellent photos. Yes the HST is and was an iconic train. It is just older than our 071 too! I remember watching test runs to Bath on the western line about 1974 or 1975. I travelled a lot on them when working in the UK during the early 80s, and subsequent visits. Despite its age still looking good, more 'modern' looking than many trains here, and BR mk3 very comfy even with narrower 4'8 1/2" gauge :) The ICE 1 has the hint of a 'duck' look about its face, but the ICE 3 has the look of a 'hawk'. And the fab TGV is the mummy of all high speed trains.

Fabulous collection of excellent photos. Yes the HST is and was an iconic train. It is just older than our 071 too! I remember watching test runs to Bath on the western line about 1974 or 1975. I travelled a lot on them when working in the UK during the early 80s, and subsequent visits. Despite its age still looking good, more 'modern' looking than many trains here, and BR mk3 very comfy even with narrower 4'8 1/2" gauge :) The ICE 1 has the hint of a 'duck' look about its face, but the ICE 3 has the look of a 'hawk'. And the fab TGV is the mummy of all high speed trains.

Cheers Noel! I've always had a soft spot for the HSTs, even though they've now lost their Paxman's and been re-engined. Was delighted to enjoy a short trip back from Slough on one on Friday as it could well be my last trip on one. It's successor was in Paddington when I arrived on Friday on a test run but had pulled out by the time I got the camera out.

Would've had more pics of action north of the Thames around my old stomping ground as well as freight but it was a trip with the little lady so gricing was kept to a minimum!

Good evening all,

The latest additions to the March gallery include:

- Passing by Bord na Mona's Mountdillon Works near Lanesborough.

- Old overbridge at Portumna on the long closed railway line to Birr.

- Lunchtime at Clonkeen near Portlaoise to see 080 coming from Limerick with the Steel Train.

- 22000 Class sets crossing at Portlaoise and passengers alighting at Thurles.

Click http://smu.gs/2o8QQ8u to view.

DSC_9626-M.jpg

DSC_9746-M.jpg

Afternoon all,

The March gallery finishes with a photo of 087 hauling failed 084 and a single timber wagon from Limerick to Inchicore, passing Portlaoise on Thursday 30th March. Click http://smu.gs/2nOaTXc to view.

April 2017 opens with images from around the Killarney area on Saturday and Sunday. Photographs also show the recent temporary shortening of the main platform to allow the station roof to be repaired and repainted. Click http://smu.gs/2nzWw8a to view.

DSC_9799-M.jpg

Really outstanding photos as always - but:

I read elsewhere today someone complaining - rightly - that some photo-sharing site had taken down all their pictures, and a few years ago this happened on a grand scale with some other website, where people had put enormous effort in putting up quite huge collections of their photos.

Maybe I'm many steps behind the pack here, but I presume that all who post on things like flickr or Dropbox or equivalents, have retained their valuable work on memory sticks and other forms of media? A few years ago, VHS video, despite its shakiness and graininess, was hailed as the way to go for the future. Now it, along with the mini-cassettes that followed, are ancient history and you can barely even get a VHS player now. With so many forms of media nowadays, and not one lasting more than a few years in popularity, it appears that it is good sense to retain one's photos in several forms together.....

Really outstanding photos as always - but:

I read elsewhere today someone complaining - rightly - that some photo-sharing site had taken down all their pictures, and a few years ago this happened on a grand scale with some other website, where people had put enormous effort in putting up quite huge collections of their photos.

Maybe I'm many steps behind the pack here, but I presume that all who post on things like flickr or Dropbox or equivalents, have retained their valuable work on memory sticks and other forms of media? A few years ago, VHS video, despite its shakiness and graininess, was hailed as the way to go for the future. Now it, along with the mini-cassettes that followed, are ancient history and you can barely even get a VHS player now. With so many forms of media nowadays, and not one lasting more than a few years in popularity, it appears that it is good sense to retain one's photos in several forms together.....

Hybrid - Multiple independant physical and cloud backups on multiple media stored on multiple sites (ie: fire/theft/radiation/magnetic/emp protection). The other big problem on the horizon is cloud or hosted photo libraries and videos that become effectively lost when someone dies, unlike the old days when families found family photo treasures in picture frames, physical photo albums and boxes stored in an attic. Nowadays few family members know the deceased's passwords nor even where their cloud service might have been. I advise my pals to store their important passwords in a sealed envelope with their will, especially their email passwords as they are the key to retrieving most lost accounts. Given human mortality is hovering approximately there or there abouts consistently about 100%, its advisable to ensure somebody can retrieve family photos and video from cloud storage and electronic media, when one eventually passes through to the next life.

Good evening all,

A few photos from what should be a simple trip. Portlaoise and Heuston are approximately 51 miles apart, but I managed to put in around 200 miles, since I went via Nenagh, Limerick and Athenry! As always, click on the photos below to view them full size:

33703348542_6b25708236_z.jpg

33818659876_d69586bd04_z.jpg

33016329284_faaffe9d2f_z.jpg

33703665002_9af0299002_z.jpg

33819117966_3fb2f8cd2d_z.jpg

Album link -

Regards,

Kieran

Good evening all,

Going back to 10 March for a brief period, where I had the chance to go around Drogheda Railcar Depot, home of the 29000 fleet and Connolly-based ICR's. Photos uploaded with permission and my thanks to those who accommodated us. Click on any of the photos below to view them full size

33878001895_54cafe1363_z.jpg

33748593381_8fb0791238_z.jpg

33878161785_dfce670619_z.jpg

Album link -

Regards,

Kieran

Morning all,

Pictures from the last few days include:

Saturday 8th April 2017:

Lansdowne Road prior to heading to Connolly to catch the RPSI Railtour.

Sunday 9th April 2017:

A late night visit to Ballybrophy to film the Belmond Grand Hibernian set passing while on a trial run to Mallow.

Monday 10th April 2017:

Images from Rosskelton, Portlaoise and Limerick Jct. Includes catching 085 working the Cork to North Wall HOBS train.

Click http://smu.gs/2ou3Aq4 to view.

DSC_0527-M.jpg

Evening all,

My photos of the RPSI Marble Tribesman railtour have now been uploaded to http://smu.gs/2oYPwWi

DSC_0122-M.jpg

Fabulous photos of the rail tour and especially the RPSI cravens. Great lighting. So much so you are really tempting me to try and re-paint one of my modern era tippex cravens into that lovely blue/cream livery. The freight grey 071's look fabulous in that livery.

Excellent research and photos. Did the line cross the Shannon at Portumna or terminate on the east bank? Doesn't look like it from Sat images, but if yes, did it cross the Shannon using the current iconic road bridge which looks more like railway engineering than a road structure? There is an old disused commercial harbour on the east bank just 350m north of the current road bridge (i.e. Munster Harbour) which may have connected the railway with commercial Shannon traffic. Waterways Ireland now use it as a storage depot for hardware, buoys, pontoons, etc.

dsc_1317.jpg

PortumnaRailway.jpg

Edited by Noel

The railway stopped just short of the river bridge. Had it been extended towards loughrea - which was a one-time initial plan - it would have crossed over.

The resultant Ballybrophy - Attymon secondary route would have made a fascinating study for a potential layout, with MGWR and GSWR locos likely to have shared trains post-1925....

Had such a line survived into CIE days, it is likely that it might have outlived Roscrea-Limerick!

Good evening all,

A selection of photos from the past week are now available to view on my Flickr. Highlight had to be Belmond going down the DSE to Gorey. Photos also include:

-O'Connell Street LUAS progress

-Inchicore - Connolly DART transfer at Connolly

-Connolly, Greystones and Wicklow

-Heuston line alterations

Click on any of the photos to view them full size

33236404744_198b8153f0_z.jpg

34078374955_0f5130ebb8_z.jpg

34017189166_115990f3d5_z.jpg

33928505451_89d09569ac_z.jpg

33949343881_08081cd037_z.jpg

33694866780_e2ab82fa72_z.jpg

Album link -