Enterprise 206 working the IWT liner.

Rate this topic

I think that's a wee bit disingenuous... it's a 'love it or hate it' livery alright, but a lot of enthusiasts are in the 'love it' camp.

Personally, I think it looks good.

Different strokes, I guess. I think it is certainly an opportunity to model and something new and may be 'liked' for that reason alone. It may well look better with it's one rake, to be fair, but a little like the Mersey ferry with the IWT. It will probably grow on me (like mould)

Its much better than the orange with yellow and black. I like it so I'm in the supporters camp.

As for Noel's suggestion of independent operators for competition, the rail network is too small to have several operators. The only thing that competition has done in Ireland is to cause an increase in prices to the consumer and lower wages for the workers. Before competition in the electricity sector Ireland was the third cheapest for electricity in Europe with only the ESB, since the other operators started up we are now one of the most expensive, because of economy of scale, duplication of administration and shareholders need for profit.

The break up of CIE resulted in four boards for three companies where only one board existed before, and duplication of a lot of the administration jobs with no improvement in services for passengers as a result of the change.

Walter.

Totally correct, WTCLASS. Privatisation across the water has resulted in more public money being thrown at what was BR, with less quality of service, at higher prices to the public.

That's mathematical fact. So who benefits?

Shareholders and bonus-led layers and layers of duplicated management; again, mathematical fact. Knowing the "nose-in-trough" and short sighted, ill-informed and selfish attitude of almost all politicians on this island, should we open a book on how long it will take them to catch on to ways of further wrecking our railway system?

BR had no bonuses and shareholders, and one board. That's mathematical fact too. As our good friends in the States might say, "Go Figure!"!

• 2 weeks later...
Well, we wondered how long it would be before it would be turned 'the wrong way round'. I think it looks as ridiculous as the new number. Think this was always going to be a love it (those paid for 'designing' it) or hate it livery (the rest of us,…for the most part):facepalm:

I may not have designed it, but i love it :D

Gotta love these nonsense liveries.

"Lets add black strip along the middle"

"And a bit of wibbly wobbly wonder thats not in either green, gold, blue or red"

Have CIE ever heard of photoshop and that people might be able to mock up this crap in minature and virtual before you commit an entire paint shop in inchicore?

Hey CIE, YOU NEED SOME HELP?

Yeah, orange as a base colour for years seems like a decent political gesture?

I never really liked the O/B colour scheme, but they did actually photoshop it as i was told.

Also, Photoshop is a really complicated bit of software that takes a while to get used two, trying Photoshop a loco from one livery with many different shades to a whole new livery is hard to do, i've done before & it ain't easy.

Just saying, no offence intended.

• 1 month later...
Looks like 206 has suffered a big failure on it's first passenger working since it's overhaul.

Unfortunate and embarrassing, especially so if the first run after an overhaul!!! These locos must have top class safety systems for fire detection and auto suppression, shorts, etc.

I believe 230 is being used for spares. It suffered considerable damage during the fire. Firefighters had to cut holes in it to put the fire out and the fire burned through it's brake lines. 206 was badly damaged by HEP induced fire in 2005 and was almost a write off but it was repaired and back in service during the summer of 2006.

With 230 gone from the Enterprise fleet there is still 206-209, 227,228,231 and 233. They can always add TPWS to an active 201 to replace 230 if needs be. They could probably used 230 as parts to finish cancelled repairs to 225 and use it to replace 230.

I believe 230 is being used for spares. It suffered considerable damage during the fire. Firefighters had to cut holes in it to put the fire out and the fire burned through it's brake lines. 206 was badly damaged by HEP induced fire in 2005 and was almost a write off but it was repaired and back in service during the summer of 2006.

With 230 gone from the Enterprise fleet there is still 206-209, 227,228,231 and 233. They can always add TPWS to an active 201 to replace 230 if needs be. They could probably used 230 as parts to finish cancelled repairs to 225 and use it to replace 230.

Shame, there are not many in use form the original 34 or so are there?:(