00 In the garden

Rate this topic

Chevron

So here are some Work in progress pictures of my 00 in the garden.

6GuWORjl.jpg

68d51ZGl.jpg

4L04wdul.jpg

M0vYfHMl.jpg

h6khAOMl.jpg

Used green hanging basket liner for the grass on the hill.

Some potted herbs and carpet spreading Alinpas to try cover the hill when it matures

Brown hanging basket liner between the tracks to make it look like dead grass.

And black nonslip tape along the side of the rails to try make it look like ballast

Yea the buildings are plastic. Put a light in the station. They are from the part works railway magezine from last year. No the platform is not treated. just sprayed grey. Needs to be redone. No weed killer sprayer. Only oned i have are from the caledonian belle hornby set.

Track is mains powered. Only gets wired up when using.

Havent really run it when it was really wet but runs fine when damp.

A little bit added.

Arched retaining walls at the Train yard side of things.

rXQcgw1l.jpg

You see on the left corner here will be some low releif building with a road and path so double o people can look over wall to the trains.

r9geXsKl.jpg

Need to come up with a way of making a weather proofed double engine shed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I don't think there's any need. "The Weather" will do all your weathering for you!

i think il have to unplug the station and let the dog roll it around in the much.

He done that with my cottages and they look a "little" better.

maybe if i painted it with the colours its already in and then it wont look so plasticy?

• 2 weeks later...

Started making a building front to go over the arches.

based off a prefab modular building i seen an image of online.

tC5eSEPh.jpg

8pK7yF5h.jpg

and while i was in lidl's the other day i saw a "grass" mat for camping and picked one up.

Placed some down today for a test.

also tried some sky blue enamel spray on the background doesn't show up very well in the photos.

but it does take the plain white/under construction look away a bit.

muVPDxuh.jpg

and through the carraiges to gauge the height with an old man standing at the front of the new grass hills/field.

OYyUs87h.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally got a shed in the garden so now i can have a proper train yard/fiddle yard

AmusFbdh.jpg

on the bottom right my first attempt at using switch's and isolated rail joiners.

2 on-off-on switches decides which track has power.

IF49p7ch.jpg

view from just outside the shed into the yard

aK1k1Tbh.jpg

out of the shed over the dog run

ODLZBGjh.jpg

and the final straight where it joins up to the the main loop.

2RfUSFEh.jpg

just need to decide on a backdrop for the yard. i want an industrial style one but all i can find are country scenes.

Yea it is.

i am debating how best to deal with that.

Thinking easiest would be to make a gutter shaped dip in front made of grass mat and maybe a hill behind it of same material.

A lot of first's are happening in this update.

First time using flexi track and isolation joiners and even cutting track to fit.

Edited by Chevron

We had a hardboard fence along the back, as you can also see, but the Perspex looks a lot better (in the sense that you can hardly see it!) and gives you good vision for re-railing, track cleaning, etc. It will follow round a fairly tight bend, too, as you can see.

That section is seen in the early stages and got a bit more stuff as time went on.

Did your perspex not go cloudy with the weather ?

No, hardly at all over six years, and it was under a polycarbonate car-port roof in strong sunlight - some of the cardboard buildings faded and a lot of the "grass" did, too. Modern plastics are much more resistant to UV degradation.

The little covering on the left of that image.

does that track go indoors there?

Yes, there was a crossing there, so the outside track was a figure-of-eight with the other loop inside the garage.

id love to see the full figure of eight you have.

am always interested in seeing others outdoor setups.

what is the full width you have there with the double loop?

It was under cover, rather than fully outdoor - that bit of polythene in the far corner and the two sponges are there for a small leak we had.... (though, the chipboard top never really objected too much, it had a good slap of primer before it went in)

It's about four feet deep there - just able to reach the back.

Full tour.

Now that is quite impressive for a outdoor semi outdoor. how covered is that car port?

must be large enough to keep the wind and rain away from it cause there is no way in hell you could have those buildings out in British weather lol

you have me thinking now about semi covering with carport material. hmmmmm

The car-port is on the left here -

- it goes right back as far as nextdoor's garage front and then the "internal" part in the garage starts. There's a polycarbonate roof and the front is boarded in, as you can see. The long edge is mostly nextdoor's woven fence, with plastic sheeting to avoid the driving rain and wind. The garage was lined with 25mm expanded polystyrene foam.

We had no great trouble, really.

Willow seeds, dead flies, the odd roof leak, expansion/contraction (solved by expansion joints), a bit of oxidation on the rails in really damp times, etc...

No more trouble that the real railways have..

It was under cover, rather than fully outdoor - that bit of polythene in the far corner and the two sponges are there for a small leak we had.... (though, the chipboard top never really objected too much, it had a good slap of primer before it went in)

It's about four feet deep there - just able to reach the back.

Full tour.

I could watch that all day long. Enjoyable viewing. Like the clever design. Great layout.

I could watch that all day long. Enjoyable viewing. Like the clever design. Great layout.

If you click on the title, it will take you to it in YouTube - you can then click on the channel and there's two other videos of it, one at night.