00 In the garden

Rate this topic

Chevron

What buildings do you are they ready made / kits?

where do you get them to withstand the weather.

They're mostly Metcalfe and Superquick cardboard kits - the mill is a Wills kit and the mine came from a continental manufacturer - the balsa/paper power station was meant to represent our local Meaford station, but it is now Ferbane on a different layout (videos also on there) and only has two towers in "operation" - the towers were turned from solid wood...

There's some Skaledale stuff and the big station is a balsa/paper affair.

They had no special measures taken - the cardboard ones did fade in the Sun, but it was no great detriment - weathering by the weather, I call it...

After seeing your layout .. you have turned me in to a thief lol im gonna try rob some of your ideas lol

I'll send you an invoice - in Euros - with VAT....

Apart from a few leaks, we never had much water trouble - the rain never got in much above the baseboard level. The heat was the greatest problem, in fact - apart from expanding the rails a bit, it shrank the woodwork a lot as it dried out after the winters. The cold was just unpleasant, but didn't do much harm - it made the live steamer very impressive - I have some video of that somewhere....

It was well worth putting up with the problems for the sheer size of it - I once got a Murphy 181 and a few coaches to take 11 minutes to go all round it. Even at a reasonable speed, a train would go over the crossover into the garage and be almost forgotten about before it came out again..

The seeds from the local willows used to blow in and I often thought of getting something Yank, as we had 00 scale tumbleweed blowing around - but it did get into the works sometimes.

Flies often seemed quite suicidal - we had a few track fatalities.

Just to the right of the suspension bridge, you might see four of these Fleischmann expansion joints - looking like a crossing.

t4_FL-6110.jpg

..they saved us a lot of trouble on the long straights..

• 1 year later...