SURVEY - Irish Railway Modelling

Rate this topic

Noel

Hi Folks. Just for fun and information a very simple survey. Some of it is hypothetical. Answers are anonymous. I was limited for space so I am sure I have left some obvious things out, so please forgive.

SURVEY: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/B239JG8

I'll post statistical results in a month or so.

Cheers

Noel

MODS: If I have put this in the wrong forum please feel free to move it.

Thanks Alan & Dave. I will put the results up here in a few weeks or when 100 responses have been completed. I don't really want to comment on any aspect of it till then in case it influences spontaneity of answers. Noel

Can I ask why the focus of the survey is so narrow (121s and A class) when the timeline for these models has already been laid out? Would it not make more sense to look further down the line at options which have not already been explored. How about ready-to-run C class v Sulzer or a J15 v J26?

Can I ask why the focus of the survey is so narrow (121s and A class) when the timeline for these models has already been laid out? Would it not make more sense to look further down the line at options which have not already been explored. How about ready-to-run C class v Sulzer or a J15 v J26?

Hi garfieldsghost

I was limited for space so I am sure I have left some obvious things out, so please forgive.

Apologies! :) Well it was a fair bit wider than just 121s and A's. Was interested folks general modelling interests, era, liveries, preferences for specs, as well as some specifics in existing stock, possible 're-runs' of locos and coaches, as well as possible future locos and coaching stock. I unfortunately could not include anything on freight stock as I was limited to only 10 questions. As I said this was for fun rather than being a comprehensive scientific survey. Noel

Edited by Noel

Hi garfieldsghost

Apologies! :) Was interested folks general modelling interests as well as some specifics in existing stock, possible 're-runs' of locos and coaches, as well as possible future locos and coaching stock. I unfortunately could not include anything on freight stock as I was limited to only 10 questions. Noel

Fair enough, Noel, but would more general questions not have sufficed in some instances? There seems to be an abundance of questions relating to CIÉ/IÉ, while pre-grouping/steam and narrow gauge is pretty much absent, as is the whole of Northern Ireland...

Fair enough, Noel, but would more general questions not have sufficed in some instances? There seems to be an abundance of questions relating to CIÉ/IÉ, while pre-grouping/steam and narrow gauge is pretty much absent, as is the whole of Northern Ireland...

GFG, obviously we know from posts on the fora that this is area that Noel is interested in. The survey is not that long, response are not mandatory and if you wanted to post another one with your area of interest, I'd be happy to respond to that too (although I may have to look up J15s and J26s as I don't know as much about steam, but who knows, may develop an interest)

GFG, obviously we know from posts on the fora that this is area that Noel is interested in. The survey is not that long, response are not mandatory and if you wanted to post another one with your area of interest, I'd be happy to respond to that too (although I may have to look up J15s and J26s as I don't know as much about steam, but who knows, may develop an interest)

First of all, and with all due respect to Noel, I wouldn't be posting a survey 'just for fun' in the first place, because the statistical information which can potentially be gleaned from them is so useful. And with that in mind, multiple surveys with biased questions will only end up presenting a fragmented view of what the modelling community wants. In addition, stats from such surveys can easily be distorted because a certain amount of people with no interest in the specific area(s) being dealt with will still take the survey and submit potshot answers.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I'm simply wondering why someone would go to the effort of creating a survey and collating the results without realising the full potential of the survey.

Edited by Garfield

Garfield has a very valid point here. I did a post grad in which we studied methodologies of market research. Its very important to avoid leading questions and ensure as open and unbiased a structure as possible to avoid invalidating the data gathered.

If Noel's survey is just for fun , no probs, but equally, if this is the case, nothing can be formally gleaned from it if is not structured in a properly distributed manner.

The survey was still fun to do though! There is some wishlist out there....

Edited by Weshty

Hi Folks. Just for fun and information a very simple survey. Some of it is hypothetical. Answers are anonymous. I was limited for space so I am sure I have left some obvious things out, so please forgive.

My apologies guys. digging.gif

I thought the idea of this site was for FUN as modellers :tumbsup:

Yip, it sure is. In fairness though, when the results come back, perhaps Noel will have had a chance to think about the wider possibilities of such a survey and make it more comprehensive? It only took a few minutes, and whille I reckon it'll say "99% want a 121 and an A Class next week, these polls have huge potential to inform the smaller manufacturers, not just Mr. Murphy - freight, decals, paints, kits, buildings, narrow gauge, steam, railcars, and so on. Richie

Did mine too a couple of minutes after you posted it! Good luck with it!!

Same here - questionnaires, especially multiple choice ones, are notoriously difficult, if not impossible to get absolutely correct. I regularly get professional YouGov ones to do, and frequently have to comment that I've had to give that least wrong answer...