Harrys Workbench

Rate this topic

GSR 800

It's a fantastic looking thing. I got one too, currently under construction (not by me; I'd make a pig's ear of it).... If I win the lottery, I'll get another four: 800-2 plus the two that were never built (803 Deirdre and 804 Grainne). Wouldn't a lineup of five of them outside Inchicore have made for a great photo? Photoshop anyone?

The 800 class kit is a seriously complicated place to start for an absolute beginner to etched kit building. I'd suggest starting with something simple, like SSM's 30T brake van, then working up to something like a J26 before tackling the 800.

I'd also recommend getting a copy of Iain Rice's 'Etched Loco Construction', which covers all aspects in an easy to read manner.

Copies available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Etched-Loco-Construction-Iain-Rice/dp/090686786X

Although I see it's cheaper from Pendon Museum (not sure of P&P charge though): http://www.pendonmuseum.com/shop/view.php?id=45&category=6

no . plastic ones are my thing. but i have the solder and vice etc

okay, I would recommend maybe starting with something a little more basic, like SSM brake van to get practicing with soldering. Even before that practice soldering with some scrap pieces of brass, even the frets from the Maedb kit.

Also, I would recommend getting this book it's old but very good http://www.amazon.com/Etched-Loco-Construction-Iain-Rice/dp/090686786X

I'm using it as I find my feet with building etched kits. I know you're eager to build an 800 kit but I would practice on something a bit more simple first.

thanks, but i kinda already started im also very stubborn

The advice from the members is good. Definitely get the book, work slowly, measure twice and cut once. I would say that if it's not perfect it will compund problems with gears etc later in the work. I would love one of these but not yet. I'm considering getting someone to build me the first one!

Having seen the kit, and having made a first-attempt complete mess of a brass carriage kit I bought thirty years ago, I would advise very strongly indeed against using one of these kits as a first attempt at soldering.... I would very much echo the advice given by others. The 800 kit is a highly complex one which I know many experienced modellers would hesitate to attempt. Good luck, though.

• 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18316[/ATTACH]

Looks great so far, looking forward to seeing the progress!

p.s. you are a braver man than I to attempt building her:tumbsup:

How many times have you burnt yourself with the soldering iron?? No pain, no gain

• 1 month later...

Hi guys.800 is about 75 percent complete par the wiring :mad:and crankpins:mad:and some other small stuff. To save me from the mental a good friend,who has been very helpful and has supported me (supplying me with necessery equipment for my endeover)has said that he would finish her off. A better idea,as i am hopeless when it comes to wiring

• 2 weeks later...