Rails through the west

Rate this topic

heirflick

eamonn, the rails around dublin- does it contain pics of the freight yard at heustton/north wall? love to get pics of the E class in action

I agree with Eamonn, both Rails Around Dublin and Michael Baker's Railways of Dublin Past & Present would be a very good help to anyone interested on the Dublin scene covering, mostly 1970s-1990s. Baker's book in particular features each yard area in the North Wall over the years and includes E Classes shunting and on transfer goods workings. Only thing I point out (for modelling terms) is that both publications are B&W, as opposed to colour which we've been spoilt with in Rails through the West.

thanks for that eiretrains...good to see you here! bty, did you come accross any pics of mullingar during the black and tan liveried era?

Just slightly before the Black & Tan era, Seamus, but whilst going through 'Irish Railways In Colour: A Second Glance' by Tom Ferris earlier, I remembered that there's a photo in that book of a grey and yellow 121 sitting at the Galway platforms of Mullingar with an east-bound cattle train. Page 42...

thanks for that eiretrains...good to see you here! bty, did you come accross any pics of mullingar during the black and tan liveried era?

Thanks, regarding Mullingar, no photos of that location, although others may have such as Barry. If you don't have it already, From CIE to IR book also has the occasional 1970s era photo, although it is predominantly features the 1990s era.

Thanks, regarding Mullingar, no photos of that location, although others may have such as Barry. If you don't have it already, From CIE to IR book also has the occasional 1970s era photo, although it is predominantly features the 1990s era.

have the book..some good pics there!

Hi Ciaran,great to see you here.tell me have you seen any photos

Of N McAdams collection particulary of GAA specials over the north

Wexford in September 1963 when 141s operated over the then closed

Line.I spotted a lovely shot at sparrowsland taken by Norman at the

Wexford show-I wonder was there any more?.

Hi Ciaran,great to see you here.tell me have you seen any photos

Of N McAdams collection particulary of GAA specials over the north

Wexford in September 1963 when 141s operated over the then closed

Line.I spotted a lovely shot at sparrowsland taken by Norman at the

Wexford show-I wonder was there any more?.

Cheers Eamonn, glad to see you here too, just sent you a message.:tumbsup:

Gents

Just shows you what there is out there. I am gathering unpublished colour stuff for future projects at the moment, and would be keen to hear from anyone with colour stuff post 1955 from anywhere. The next two projects I am working on are both broadly "west-based" but I plan more in the long run.

Among nice stuff I have recently is a shot of the Enterprise, consisting of a black'n'tan 141 hauling green coaches of ex-GN origin past Portadown about 1962... also there is one en route to me showing an ex-GN AEC set on an all-stops GVS - Portadown with the leading car in UTA green, wasp striped at front, the middle coach in new NIR maroon and grey, and the last car in the short-lived UTA blue and cream for the ex-GN line.....

Regarding the whereabouts of books, the RPSI bookstall will have a good selection on the tour in 2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
Another book I picked up at the Wexford show-Railways in Ireland part 4-Great Southern and Western

by Martin Bairstow.Great photos and ideal for model reference.

Also the two dvds of the West Cork Railways come highly

recommended.

The two West Cork dvd's are out of stock at the UK supplier who also said when I spoke with them last week that they probably won't be producing any more. But I did manage to get the set from The Model Railway Village at Clonakilty who kindly posted them to me (in the UK).

The two West Cork dvd's are out of stock at the UK supplier who also said when I spoke with them last week that they probably won't be producing any more. But I did manage to get the set from The Model Railway Village at Clonakilty who kindly posted them to me (in the UK).

Well worth getting your hands on the West Cork DVDS.

I find myself replaying them lots such is the enjoyment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Leaving Graham's with my new 082, I wandered across into to Easons and found that they had one copy of Rails Through The West left - so, as I've been a good boy, I decided that I should have another Christmas present.

It really is the most excellent book - an example for anybody on how to be complete and yet not verbose - top marks.

Highly recommended for absolutely anybody interested in Irish railways.

Is there a bibliography? I'm quite partial to the style.

Rails to Achill - A West of Ireland Branch Line, and Achillbeg - Life of an Island, the latter not having much to do with rail. His contributions to this forum alone are worthy of printed form. Am I right in assuming he's a relative of the other great Beaumont of Irish Rail Engineering?

Guest hidden-agenda
Follow up is currently a work in progress!

A guaranteed sale here no problem but any chance of a book purposely about wagons?

. Am I right in assuming he's a relative of the other great Beaumont of Irish Rail Engineering?

He is, though personally I would ask which one. Mr Beaumont of GSR fame or Mr Beaumont of GNR(I) fame. Though in this case both.

PS It is a superb book and is a must for anyone interested in irish railways

Edited by Lough Erne

• 3 years later...

Just got my copy of this tonight almost fours years after it was published with a couple of other things I ordered recently from the Book Depository. This is a beautiful book on the western rail corridor spanning a considerable period from 1950s-60s with some superb photographs of late steam and diesels up to present day. Photos in B&W but predominantly color depicting the railway and immediate environment, occasional shots of countryside, old cars buses. Very nostalgic and atmospheric and well worth it at an affordable price. For anyone interested in modeling this region, the diesel era in Ireland or if you're young enough not to remember this time, this would be a very enjoyable read.

images.jpeg

At the launch I was approached by an old friend. "I'm in your book" he said.

"Where?" Quoth I.

"On the cover!"

"Ah! So you were in the RPSI train that day?"

"No"

"So where?"

"You can see me. Look again"

"Hmmmm. Are you hidden in the vegetation taking a lineside picture?"

"No"

"Footplate ride?"

"No. Other train"

"The diesel???"

"Yip..."

"Ah - you got a lift in the guards van then!"

"No! You can see me!"

Now I was really puzzled.

"All I can see is the driver", I said.

"Look beside him!"

You can see a shadowy form of someone on the left, right enough. It isn't a CIE man, but a certain vet from Ballysodare, who many of us know!

He hitched a cab ride on the last train. Priceless!

Many thanks for your kind comments, gentlemen. "Rails Through North Kerry", the equivalent for south of Limerick, has actually been complete for some time but the publisher wanted to spread out several railway titles. It will now be due for release hopefully before the RPSI May tour.

It covers Limerick to Tralee, with extensive extras encompassing colour to Castlemungret, Foynes, Fenit and just for an extra, Castleisland. Also colour at Bruree, Croom and Rosstemple on the little known Croom branch. A brand new "G" with an 1880 green Midland six wheeler on the Foynes passenger / mixed, steam to Castlemungret and brand new light blue wagons there. Tar traffic at Lixnaw and Listowel race specials, a GAA special, a picture of the almost totally unknown (extremely rare) visit of a 121 to the line, Rock Street goods yard, the Fenit pier steam crane IN steam to unload a ship, wagons awaiting on pier and a "G" kicking about.....

Green railcars at Newcastle West before the passenger service ended, what else....I'm trying to remember....!

A "C" shunting Carey's Road yard in Limerick....

And - an entire section on the weedsprays over the years, including the old one that many thought looked like a steam engine!

Ohhh ding dong! (To quote the late Leslie Phillips). First the good Dr. Alan's tome and now this. A vertiable cornucopia of pleasures await us.

The lovely thing about the North Kerry line is that all the best bits can be cycled, with more coming on line in future (now that the land grabbers have been suitably chastened).

Roll on May, and well done JHB. Rails through the west was a thorough delight.