Watch - 18hr battery - no thanks

Rate this topic

Noel

So you have to take the apple watch off every night to charge it cause it only has an 18hr battery. :confused:

Thanks, but no thanks. Personally it just doesn't add up. From a purely functional point of view I'm not sold on its benefits or practical uses, but marketing may convince some of the sheep herd that its a 'must be seen with' piece of jewellery. And that's just the thoughts on an existing mac, iPhone and iPad user who has a weakness for useful technology, but I just don't get this one.

Btw, what time is it? I forgot to wind my watch last night :)

iNoel

Sent by iPad - portable electronic Irishman

I've never owned a watch with a battery in it.

I have several watches, but they all function on renewable energy.

They can be recharged without having to remove them.

This is my favourite - it tells you the time quite effectively.

2264128835_f893426183.jpg

All this "wearable technology" makes you wonder what nefarious possibilities there might be - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24608435 .

I nearly bought the Moto 360, but I know I would never use it. I have a lot of watches 28 at the last count. But I don't wear them much any more, I use my phone for everything now, including phone calls!

The one I wear the most is a kinetic watch, never needs a battery.

Why can't they use kinetic energy to keep these smart watches going longer?

A watch with an 18 hour battery - no thanks!! I got a Casio battery watch in 1985 and it was still going on the original battery in 2012 when the strap failed! There must have been some kind of kinematic recharging of the battery as, after just a couple of months of not wearing it, the battery died. Needless to say I bought the same model of watch as a replacement and it too is still going strong.

Why can't they use kinetic energy to keep these smart watches going longer?
I suppose it's a space consideration, possibly - and maybe the sheer amount of energy required may be a lot more than a mere watch needs.

I only really wear a watch on the ferry these days, so that I have the time when the phone is off (to stop it hunting for a connection endlessly).

I like the idea of the kinetic watch, but wonder how long it would run, if I didn't wear it much.

There was a solar-powered, radio controlled watch that took my fancy. Always right, and it would stay going when you weren't wearing it.

I do have a mechanical watch with an alarm, which is handy.

The top winder charges and controls the alarm, the bottom does the watch, as normal. The alarm is set at around twenty to six here.

il_570xN.369742395_o7t9.jpg

Lovely watch Jim, I have 2 Seiko kinetic watches. Both will run up to a month without wearing, provided they are fully charged. I have a citizen promaster dive watch and that has a solar panel on the face and never runs out as long as its in daylight, it will run for up to 6 months in darkness. I have it since 2005 and still going strong.

I do like the old Soviet watches, I have quite a few- I still want one of the 24 hour submarine watches - handy when there's no daylight to give you a clue - but, I don't think I would ever get the hang of it. It's difficult enough dealing with the fact that I refuse to change to GMT in the winter - but, everybody will catch up with me again soon...

russian-mechanical-24-hour-military-watch-raketa-640.jpg

Went down to the local Apple store to check it out

Bit of a Watch man myself

Goes back to when I had to know the Lighting up Times for lights on bicycles.........

Anyway I was not impressed

BxKGqTOIAAAGWHP_zpswshlmjsy.jpg

laugh.gif

That's just brilliant Dave. ROFLMAO

So you have to take the apple watch off every night to charge it cause it only has an 18hr battery. :confused:

Thanks, but no thanks. Personally it just doesn't add up. From a purely functional point of view I'm not sold on its benefits or practical uses, but marketing may convince some of the sheep herd that its a 'must be seen with' piece of jewellery. And that's just the thoughts on an existing mac, iPhone and iPad user who has a weakness for useful technology, but I just don't get this one.

Btw, what time is it? I forgot to wind my watch last night :)

iNoel

Sent by iPad - portable electronic Irishman

Noel, you really need to think about making the jump to DCC on the old chronograph there;)

I've never owned a watch with a battery in it.

I have several watches, but they all function on renewable energy.

They can be recharged without having to remove them.

This is my favourite - it tells you the time quite effectively.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18138[/ATTACH]

All this "wearable technology" makes you wonder what nefarious possibilities there might be - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24608435 .

I'm pretty sure that Apple's voice recognition software (which requires a radiotelephony signal, it's not on the phone) is located at the NSA central server:rolleyes:

I do have a mechanical watch with an alarm, which is handy.

The top winder charges and controls the alarm, the bottom does the watch, as normal. The alarm is set at around twenty to six here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18146[/ATTACH]

That's a very late start to the day, Jim!………. well, I suppose you're on GMT so you're getting up with the rest of us here :D

That's a very late start to the day, Jim!………. well, I suppose you're on GMT so you're getting up with the rest of us here :D

That's so I get down to the pub before closing, when I've had a nap after me tea - they're a bit strange about closing times over here....

Phone-wise, I still have one of these - I dial out every now and then, in case they've turned it off....

cream.ivory%20746.jpg

I have an apple iPad, and I think you can get blackberry on it. But if you eat too many blackberries, you could get Bluetooth.

Why can't life be simple. Like when there were just two TV channels. And Guinness was 32p a pint and it cost 50p to see U2 (no, not an NCC locomotive) in the Baggot Inn.

Edited by jhb171achill

Likewise.

I have a Sharp Scientific Calculator that I got in '85 (for my leaving cert), used it all though college, and as of this morning, the original batteries still work.

A watch with an 18 hour battery - no thanks!! I got a Casio battery watch in 1985 and it was still going on the original battery in 2012 when the strap failed! There must have been some kind of kinematic recharging of the battery as, after just a couple of months of not wearing it, the battery died. Needless to say I bought the same model of watch as a replacement and it too is still going strong.

I have a Sharp Scientific Calculator that I got in '85 (for my leaving cert), used it all though college, and as of this morning, the original batteries still work.

I still have my Sinclair Scientific - somewhere.....

p017_1_00.jpg

I still use this -

fx-29.jpg

- which is mid/late '80s.

They made three "levels" at different prices - but, if you knew somebody with the top-of-the-range one, you could just copy their instructions and scratch the missing symbols on the keyboard - they all had the same internals, they just didn't tell you about some of the features if you bought the cheaper versions..

Looking for my slide rule

I still have my British Thornton...

wp1e60c65e_05_06.jpg

..I might struggle to do much with it now, though..

..and my Hellerman drawing set..

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

..and my Facit calculator - rescued from the skip..

FacitTKGreen5.jpg

Edited by Broithe

Well I was brought up in a cardboard box, and had to pay the mine owner to work 25 hours a day, nineteen months a year, and eat gravel for breakfast. No dinner.

So there; try telling that to the youth of today.

I don't care what you say, I've still got my paper tape editor to keep me happy.

PRODPIC-15533.jpg