new waterford layout plus a few trains

Rate this topic

One would wonder was that landslide the excuse IE needed to go in there and strip the place out while they were "repairing the damage". It's like they are doing their best to remove all freight links and chartered passenger operations for any possible future operator.

A disaster for Waterford from a passenger operations point of view-unless access in the form of a crossover is provided from the former main platform to connect with the new arrival/departure road at the end of the new extended platform, but somehow I can't see that happening at this stage.:((

I thought this thread was going to be a model layout and I'm shocked and sad to see this degree of rationalization of track-work at Waterford. It was always a busy rail head that could facilitate passenger and freight flows but its operating capacity looks to have been reduced substantially in this latest 'development.' I hope there will a bright future for Waterford as a rail hub as it is one of the last real freight centres left on the Irish railway network.

I thought this thread was going to be a model layout and I'm shocked and sad to see this degree of rationalization of track-work at Waterford. It was always a busy rail head that could facilitate passenger and freight flows but its operating capacity looks to have been reduced substantially in this latest 'development.' I hope there will a bright future for Waterford as a rail hub as it is one of the last real freight centres left on the Irish railway network.

I ve been told that theres quite a bit more in the pipeline:cool:

Edited by Riversuir226

Tom - any idea whats this for?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18383[/ATTACH]

The track is to be welded here. There are no holes for the fishplate bolts so the fishplates are temporarily clamped in place. When the time comes the fishplates and clamps will be removed and the joins in the two rails will be welded together.

Thanks, Heirflick for asking that! Is this the same situation, Tom? Looks like the rails here may be 'spliced' together and clamped with some additional supporting sleepers?

That's an expansion joint. (ie rails shorter when cold, longer when subjected to the heat of the sun, winter v summer, etc).

Edited by Noel

What a travesty. The removal of the limerick service can only be months away, given only one platform. Who could have imagined a 6 platform station now reduced to this. I'd prefer if it was closed.

I can't see the redundant cabin lastly too long

While its disappointing to see that there is no provision for a second platform, rationalisation and re-signalling at Waterford was long over due. Its good to see what looks like new material used in the track work.

The loop opposite the main platform was more or less redundant once Dublin-Waterford passenger trains went over to push-pull or railcar operation.

Freight trains can now run to Belview without the expense of having to open Waterford Station Cabin, hopefully the level crossing at Abbey Junction is now un-manned.

The biggest risk to freight is IE, Kilkenny County Council & Waterford Ports failure to grasp the nettle and eliminate the road transfers between Sallypark yard and the Coillte/Louisanna Pacific plant.

This would reduce traffic congestion in the Ferrybank area and release most of the present goods yard for re-development

High fares and slow journey time seems to be the biggest threat to Waterford-Limerick line passenger services. (25.65 Eu quoted each way!)

Edited by Mayner

The idea of a private siding into the Coillte/Louisiana pacific never seems to have been a go-er but surely there is scope to unload at Belview, which is literally down the road from the plant. Still double handling but at least out of town.

Stephen

I don t think the fares are that bad, bus is about the same but has the advantage of better & more regular services. Since the introduction of the timber people down here have been calling for a direct siding to the timber plant off either the New Ross or the Rosslare line either one would have probably paid its way over the years. As for kilkenny county council unless its north of Ballyhale they don t care about it unless Waterford want it. The level crossing at Abbey junction is only manned while a train is east of waterford plus Frank Cassin quay is rarely used so it can be left closed if needs be.

Edited by Riversuir226