Fibre Optic Almost For Free

Rate this topic

murrayec

Hi All

If you mess about with fibre optics for lights on your models- get down to Tiger for their 'LYSFIBERLAMPE' for €4.00- one of those dodgy droopy 60's fibre optic lamps run by battery- but it has about 237! optic strands sticking out the top that would keep a modeller supplied for a life time!

Eoin

Hi All

If you mess about with fibre optics for lights on your models- get down to Tiger for their 'LYSFIBERLAMPE' for €4.00- one of those dodgy droopy 60's fibre optic lamps run by battery- but it has about 237! optic strands sticking out the top that would keep a modeller supplied for a life time!

Eoin

Hi Eoin

I'm new to loco lighting so please forgive what is probably a daft question. How are fibre optics used in model locos? Do folks not just fit tiny LEDs through holes drilled in loco bodies?

Noel

Hi Eoin

I'm new to loco lighting so please forgive what is probably a daft question. How are fibre optics used in model locos? Do folks not just fit tiny LEDs through holes drilled in loco bodies?

Noel

You can use fibre optics to form "light guides" to carry light from one LED to several different locations. This is sometimes even done using transparent mouldings, rather than "wires".

I had one running from the back light on my bike to the handlebars, so that I could tell when the bulb wasn't lit. I run LED lights now and don't have the problem.

Edited by Broithe
Second thoughts.

Hi All

Eoin

The Euro shops do the kids fibre optic strands from time to time, even cheaper and battery operated......

Hi Eoin

Noel

Yes id love to hear how any of you have used fibre optics in models.

• 3 months later...