SURVEY - Irish Railway Modelling - RESULTS

Rate this topic

Noel

As long as I remember there always seems to have been the view that the modern scene was boring and most enthusiasts spoke longingly about the trains that they grew up with whether it was the pre-grouping companies, the Amalgmation era, the Nationalised era of the 50s & 60s or the more modern eras.

In the late 1970s I set out to model the contemporary CIE scene, the layout became historic the minute I started laying track and modifying rolling stock. The clock stopped some time around 1978 loose coupled goods & Newspaper trains continued to run although they were phased out on CIE, 071s and a/c stock failed to appear on the main line trains.

In 10-15 years time todays generation of teenage enthusiasts are more likely to model the trains they grew up with and 1st travelled on than the current scene or as seen through the rose tinted glasses of their parents generation.

Very interesting and well done. Thanks for the results.

I would say that the chances of a re-run of MM141/181's and 201's are slim when over 50% of some of the most active irish modellers would buy none.

Not necessarily. It depends on what the remainder would buy. If you intend to buy one, that speaks for itself, and "3-5 "being AT LEAST 3 and 'more than 5' being at least 6 these are the 'orders' from the survey

121s 320

As 231

071s 192

Cs 177

141s 155

201s 131

Nothing being certain in life but the 121 is on the way at some point "next up"

A's are also highly desirable which is interesting since at least some are available from SF, so either people want more of them or better ones.

The 071's are also highly sought after and presently on the market so will be purchased from existing stock unless modellers want even more diversity in the existing liveries/numbers.

C's are also fairly desirable just pipping more 141s.

141s are still sought after judging by this and since the are effectively sold out now there are likely to be modellers that will want to add to existing stocks or new modellers that will likely want them. 201s lowest on the diesel list but still available. Worth remembering that they are the only model that HAS had a new run after the old Limas.

Looking at the numbers in the survey, not one model up there would be worth producing due to insufficient numbers. These are responses from only 150 modellers and it's hard to know how far to extrapolate this data. Depending on that, there could well be an additional market for many of the models up there although the 121 and A are clear leaders.

On a practical note, perhaps earlier era stock generally being short lends itself to the space restrictions of model layouts. Long modern coaches such as mk3/mk4/22k and long bogie freight stock take up a lot of space on a layout, need large radius curves and long platforms to look right.

You can pick your era and still find short consists...1900's to 1970's branch line pick up goods, short AEC railcar sets in the 50's/60's or short ICR sets in the '00s....or 1 loco, 1 craven (or Park Royal) and a GSV operated into the early 90s in some places IIRC. You will need longer platforms in the modern era, but Banteer is one place that still had a short platform well into the 1990's.

Not necessarily. It depends on what the remainder would buy. If you intend to buy one, that speaks for itself, and "3-5 "being AT LEAST 3 and 'more than 5' being at least 6 these are the 'orders' from the survey

121s 320

As 231

071s 192

Cs 177

141s 155

201s 131

Nothing being certain in life but the 121 is on the way at some point "next up"

A's are also highly desirable which is interesting since at least some are available from SF, so either people want more of them or better ones.

The 071's are also highly sought after and presently on the market so will be purchased from existing stock unless modellers want even more diversity in the existing liveries/numbers.

C's are also fairly desirable just pipping more 141s.

141s are still sought after judging by this and since the are effectively sold out now there are likely to be modellers that will want to add to existing stocks or new modellers that will likely want them. 201s lowest on the diesel list but still available. Worth remembering that they are the only model that HAS had a new run after the old Limas.

Looking at the numbers in the survey, not one model up there would be worth producing due to insufficient numbers. These are responses from only 150 modellers and it's hard to know how far to extrapolate this data. Depending on that, there could well be an additional market for many of the models up there although the 121 and A are clear leaders.

If you want a particular colour scheme/number name etc for any of the existing rtr models theres plenty of decal packs available from Ssm & railtec, so either do it yourself or use the services of the respray lads. As for the 201's, unless Pm does a ltd run of the new liveries Belmond/new enterprise i can t see me adding any more to my lot although i wouldn t mind another run of the original orange livery. As for the 141/181's i can see a market for a limited run of one in each livery. The a/c class from silverfox doesn t pass muster unless a LOT of work is put into it and as an add to that the same suppliers sulzer is quite poor.

Era specific modelling i think goes back to childhood/young adult nostalga. I like the late 1990's to 2008ish, this era has plenty of modelable train rakes 4 wheel cement trains bubbles etc, beet 4 wheel, 4 wheel spoil,beet,ballast among others. Ammonias & ferts ran till the mid part of the era, along with grain, guiness,oil. Plenty of short gm hauled cravens with gsv's where in operation during this era too. I also like the modern post 2008, grey & black+silver 071's, the newer enterprise and intercity 201's, construction trains for the midleton and western corridor, timbers & liners out of waterford. Theres plenty there today but not to the same levels of variety as the past eras.

Edited by Riversuir226

On a practical note, perhaps earlier era stock generally being short lends itself to the space restrictions of model layouts. Long modern coaches such as mk3/mk4/22k and long bogie freight stock take up a lot of space on a layout, need large radius curves and long platforms to look right.

Carrick On Suir in the 1990's to mid 2000's would make a smashing setting for a layout. Not a big station or platform lengths. A nice little signal box on the platform, the ITG building. The level crossing and signals are available from SSM. Plenty of rolling stock and consists that don't have to be huge. Cement (bagged and bulk) Beet, Timber, Guiness liners, all these would be passing through. Passenger trains of 2 Craven's GSV and a 141-181. The same could be said of Park Royal and Dutch van. As much as it hurts me to say it 2700 Railcars. You could have the odd Knock special or GAA special. Not big consists or large space needed and it is not to long ago.

Rich,

Carrick On Suir in the 1990's to mid 2000's would make a smashing setting for a layout. Not a big station or platform lengths. A nice little signal box on the platform, the ITG building. The level crossing and signals are available from SSM. Plenty of rolling stock and consists that don't have to be huge. Cement (bagged and bulk) Beet, Timber, Guiness liners, all these would be passing through. Passenger trains of 2 Craven's GSV and a 141-181. The same could be said of Park Royal and Dutch van. As much as it hurts me to say it 2700 Railcars. You could have the odd Knock special or GAA special. Not big consists or large space needed and it is not to long ago.

Rich,

Now thats a good idea :) , there was also the weekly wagon transfer to/from limerick

Now thats a good idea :) , there was also the weekly wagon transfer to/from limerick

True I forgot to mention them. I also remember a Baby and bubbles going to Limerick with a Beet wagon or two for repair. I also think that a similar scene was captured on one of the Markle video's. In the opposite direction Campile would be nice and little room would be needed.

Rich,

If you want a particular colour scheme/number name etc for any of the existing rtr models theres plenty of decal packs available from Ssm & railtec, so either do it yourself or use the services of the respray lads. As for the 201's, unless Pm does a ltd run of the new liveries Belmond/new enterprise i can t see me adding any more to my lot although i wouldn t mind another run of the original orange livery. As for the 141/181's i can see a market for a limited run of one in each livery. The a/c class from silverfox doesn t pass muster unless a LOT of work is put into it and as an add to that the same suppliers sulzer is quite poor.

Era specific modelling i think goes back to childhood/young adult nostalga. I like the late 1990's to 2008ish, this era has plenty of modelable train rakes 4 wheel cement trains bubbles etc, beet 4 wheel, 4 wheel spoil,beet,ballast among others. Ammonias & ferts ran till the mid part of the era, along with grain, guiness,oil. Plenty of short gm hauled cravens with gsv's where in operation during this era too. I also like the modern post 2008, grey & black+silver 071's, the newer enterprise and intercity 201's, construction trains for the midleton and western corridor, timbers & liners out of waterford. Theres plenty there today but not to the same levels of variety as the past eras.

Yes, agree with all of that, Tom. Regarding the 201s, I was just pointing out that further demand did exist and they were re-run , although hopefully we won't be paying Eur600 per s/h Baby Gm or something before a re-run if sufficient demand existed.