Dundara and Ballycon

Rate this topic

richrua

90 also got decked out in a similar or maybe identical, lined green before being plinthed at Fermoy.

Thought the J15 lined green was applied before CIE finished with them? Seem to recall a pic of a green J15 shunting goods wagons in Irish Railways in Colour.

I think that was GS&WR green, that CIE applied, in 1955.

Edited by GSR 800

The GSWR repainted all J15s grey around 1915/18, and they stayed that way though GSR days and CIE until scrapped. None were ever black or green, unless you count pre-1915 black with red lining.

184 was given a strange browny green colour towards the end of its life for an Inchicore open day. I suspect it was not expected to run again, but it did a brief spell of duty like that until withdrawal. It was fully lined out in black and white like that.

90 was painted lined apple green for exhibition after it was withdrawn but never ran like that. It was grey from 1915 to about 1956/7, but was repainted for its last two years in traffic. Better colour photos show it looking black for its final spell in use, and it was probably repainted in Cork rather than Inchicore, so strict adherence to normal policy could be avoided - as it was with variations of livery details on some carriages painted there in green days.

Neither of these schemes were ever used by the GSWR. They were "makey-uppy" but often assumed to be GSWR.

And now to Dundara: an excellent layout full of character. I look forward to seeing more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The bell liner is double headed by two 071 locomotives. Passing through town at twilight.

https://youtu.be/QYLGk6jJXB0

That looks way better!:-bd

Nice atmosphere and like the Bell containers. I just picked ups half a dozen with some wonderful weathering but have yet to run them. The one thing about the flat wagons is the tendency to rock at joins if the track is not perfect. The containers are very light and I think some more weight may help this, possible only if it is low on the flat wagon below the pivot points on the bogies. Love those containers, presumably from C-Rail? The 20" are slightly lower than the 40" (which I think is prototypical). Your second last 40' wagon looks paler. Different type or weathered?

Edited by DiveController

Hi Dive man. The darkness is disguising the reality. Most of the containers are a poor card printout I knocked up. Not v good and over scale. The others are crail which are great. I am gradually replacing the card ones with crail. Also the bogie wagons are ho American flats. Cheating but were cheap!!!. Was hoping to replace them over time too.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

20170408_230153.jpg

I've been working away on a few areas. I discovered that I had really rushed the early days resulting in poor track work and a limited layout. I've decided to strip back a couple of places and lay the track patiently and properly. I don't have a great deal of time but I now realise that I'll enjoy it more if I do it well and a little at a time. I stripped off some terrible ballast . I'll re use it as wagon loads perhaps. I made up a new bridge which will cover a deep glen . 20170408_230144.jpg

20170408_230032.jpg

Thanks lads . I whipped up that corner already and re aligned it. There was a slight kink in the track where there was too much pressure on the flexitrack anyway so I had to do it or never run a through train at full belt.

I added a passing loop but it is slightly before that section and then again after. I should be able to have a six carriage train stationary and maybe a goods freight pass it now.

I am slowing down and being more careful with decisions. Good running is essential to me

It really frustrates me when I have derailment or power problems. I just like to run trains !

• 2 weeks later...

First shots of the sparkly new IRM ballast wagons. Had a chat with the lads today.They are fabulously detailed. They really add to the layout. So glad I invested ! 20170422_165739.jpg

A particularly shiney 146 (must've had a lick of paint and fresh logo) pulls the ballasts.

20170422_165827.jpg

Old Bell containers behind in the yard.

20170422_165848_001.jpg

20170422_165913.jpg

• Like 1

First shots of the sparkly new IRM ballast wagons. Had a chat with the lads today.They are fabulously detailed. They really add to the layout. So glad I invested ! [ATTACH=CONFIG]27648[/ATTACH]

A particularly shiney 146 (must've had a lick of paint and fresh logo) pulls the ballasts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27649[/ATTACH]

Old Bell containers behind in the yard.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27650[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27651[/ATTACH]

Congrats Richrua for being the first to post pictures of the wagons operating on a layout. :) Glad to see the buffers appear perfectly straight on the production models. Your plough van really looks the part on the rake. Looking forward to delivery of the ballasts. Great photos btw, and layout looking fab. The ballast wagons looking excellent.

Edited by Noel

• 2 months later...

I've been working on this folding layout which will fit under the couch in the back room . Up to the wiring stage. The droppers are not droppers as they will have to lie on top of the baseboard due to the tight clearance. I'll hide them under scenery etc. The buildings will lift off for storage. Here is 222 successfully negotiating all the points . Happy with that as it's a longer loco. The cement works are just waiting for the lovely new bubbles. I'll probably go for a fairly modern image theme. 20170702_000808.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. The layout has undergone some remodelling and rethinking to make it more accessible. I've made room for a small container yard .  Here is a modern grubby office i made for the yard. More pics of the changes to follow layer. 

20190329_004004.jpg

20190329_004004.jpg

20190329_004047.jpg

• Like 1

The finish is a scalescenes sheet ashlar ?? printout in black and white and then I washed it over with very thin black tinted wash to dull it down. Yes I based it loosely on kingscourt. I'm planning a small cement facility for the right hand side , which of course was not at kingscourt. 

• Like 1

Here is the building in situ in the new more modern end of the layout. I built a container crane too but I'm starting to think it would overwhelm the scene. I might put a picture up for advice. Next I have a lot of scenic  work behind to finish and some track adjustments around the corner from this area. Keep me out of trouble. 

20190329_234411.jpg

20190329_234257.jpg

20190329_234356.jpg

20190329_234345.jpg

20190329_234253.jpg

20190329_234227.jpg

• Like 2