Silverfox D Class Shunter

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

I have to agree with Glenderg.The fact that,par a repaint and a handrailing or two this is just an 08.the fact that you can see the wasp stripes on the back of the cab seems to be pure laziness by the fact they didnt bother to replace the cab or even just skim it down to make it less obvios.As for its running , even on bachmann chassis.None the less silverfox has produced many great models.

Edited by GSR 800

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS: Dave what I would really like SF to do is source a suitable high quality centre drive chassis for their existing A class product (i.e. twin axil drive on both bogies, all wheel pickups, twin flywheel and working lights). If they could source an adaptable Bachmann chassis even if cut'n'shut.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I've only found photos of plain black versions on d'internet. The b&t is my favourite livery (i.e. black with mid level white stripe and thin lower tan band).

The livery is a thin white stripe from just below the cab roof to just above the door,running in a straight line along the body,the cab front white being as Garfield has described and the non driving end similar to the black version shown.The tan band width is from the bottom up to about half way up the large battery box.A good black and white photo can be found in Irish Railways 40 years of change by Colin Boocock.

While personally I'm not pleased to see another BR repaint foisted on the Irish market, this comment is out of line. There's no proof to suggest a correlation between the producer's financial status and their product output.

I see,would you like me to edit that part out of it?

What a funny thread this is!

First I am really surprised to see MY(!) green D class (surrogate) in a thread not started by John of SFM or myself. So I am curiuos where those pics are from.

Second I want to point out that both models are kindly made by John because I asked him to do so. And I must admit that I like them even if they differ from the prototype.

Third I like to say thanks to all those who marked all the little mistakes so I will correct some of them.

Fourth I have to pointout that I do not really understand the infuriation (I found that word in the dictionary - hope it's right) about repaints like these. I bought my first "irish" loco (a BR 33 / A- class) in a shop in Clonmel nearly twenty years ago and was so damned happy. We are quite spoiled these days.

Finally I hope that I was able to express myself properly as this is not my native language - da hab' ich mir schon einen abgebrochen bei, kannste glauben.

Frank

All the progress made and Silver Fox continues to be stuck in reverse gear. Feed the gullible and line your pocket while your at it

Dont forget how upset people are re some RTR coaches being the wrong colour etc. At least they were what they were were. They were not gristle dressed as steak

Hi

Ah! the old Class 08- when I was 9 or 10! I had a fleet of them painted Valspar orange bought in Wigadors!- memories...

Though this tread reminded me that I'm working on a D, not touched for a year or so and still at prototyping stage, I grabbed the box down and took a few shots;-

Mine is going to be green

D301-01 IMAG1607.jpg

D301-02 IMAG1612.jpg

D301-03 IMAG1616.jpg

Eoin

All the progress made and Silver Fox continues to be stuck in reverse gear. Feed the gullible and line your pocket while your at it

Dont forget how upset people are re some RTR coaches being the wrong colour etc. At least they were what they were were. They were not gristle dressed as steak

People can choose to buy them or leave them. It's a free country last time I looked.

.......What is the box / protuberance at the back of the cab? I've seen it on some prototype photos, but not on others.

Hi Weshty

It's an internal recess for the hand break handle- the break shaft runs up tight to the back wall of the cab with a single arm handle on top, when rotating it one would bash into the cab back wall so the clever design department came up with this excellent solution!!

Eoin

Ah, that old chestnut - Next!!!

What's really funny is that some people are getting more worked up about the fact that some people don't care about the inaccuracies rather than the innacuracies themselves!

Irony of ironies, they might be perfectly happy to see spot-on Irish rtr models with every rivet accounted for and then go run them on 00 track.=))

With a dirty great Hornby tension-lock coupler sticking out of each end!

This line of discussion stops right here. End of.

I did not notice the Wasp stripes under the green until now, Thing is there is quite a bit of work involved getting rid of the printed on stripes, logos etc, not least on this loco with all the detail on the front end logos etc. You only can charge so much for a repaint so it depends on what the market if prepared to pay. I have a BR one and it will be staying that way!!. from view distance they wont be so noticeable.

Another thread that has turned into a stick the knife into Silverfox's back. It's simple if you don't like their models don't buy them. I know a lot of people in this hobby and their are very few of them that don't have something from Silverfox in their collection. If there was so many people unhappy with their models they wouldn't be selling any. People are buying them so they do have a place in the Irish market regardless of if their models are right or wrong.

Hi

I should have said with my post above;-

I love Silver Fox models, sure they are making models of Irish, and close to Irish that nobody else is doing. I have two Class C & A SF kits I'm currently working on chassis for- this appears in another thread on the forum. I'm also making C & A chassis for other peoples SF kits

Silver Fox rock for me

Eoin

If there was not a financial benefit from models where would the hobby be?

Does Paddy Murphy do it for fun or because he feels sorry for those of us who cannot build or paint Irish models?

I dont think so

Having spent a long time on the selling side of the table and listening to different modellers requests I find it upsetting when I hear

the guff from some modellers

The items are for sale on the table

I dont make them, so dont blame me

You buy them if you wish

Otherwise go somewhere else,. I dont need to know that you think a door handle is facing the wrong direction or that a buffer is 4 mm off

And dont talk to me about paint colour, I had 3 guys in Bangor arguing over the colour of a Hunslett

Its up to the buyer if he likes the model or not, and they are only models

I am a firm believer in the 2 foot rule, if it looks good enough from 2 foot its good enough for me

I also find that the faster you run the model the harder it is to see the finer detail.......

Gents a mod has asked for the bitchy element of the the discussion to end. To paraphrase Dave "You pay your money, you make your choices". We can leave the thread open for constructive feedback and a discussion about the Ds, but should the tone continue we will have to lock it. Thanks.

I have been a member for a while and follow this forum for advice and ideas. This is my first post.

This conversation is disappointing to me.

A model is a representation of the original....accuracy varies.

Comments on Silverfoxes' financial position should not be accepted. Ungrounded comments regarding the financial standing of a business are by definition defamatory.

In other words it's ok to highlight issues in accuracy but the descent into criticism of the business' finances and of others modelling preferences is not only impolite but harmful to this forum.

I have been a member for a while and follow this forum for advice and ideas. This is my first post.

This conversation is disappointing to me.

A model is a representation of the original....accuracy varies.

Comments on Silverfoxes' financial position should not be accepted. Ungrounded comments regarding the financial standing of a business are by definition defamatory.

In other words it's ok to highlight issues in accuracy but the descent into criticism of the business' finances and of others modelling preferences is not only impolite but harmful to this forum.

I believe the statement concerning the financial status of Silver Fox was made by a junior member which was quickly pointed out as out of order by a mod and then retracted by the poster.

I believe the statement concerning the financial status of Silver Fox was made by a junior member which was quickly pointed out as out of order by a mod and then retracted by the poster.

I can't see the retraction.

The comment was removed from the post 16 hours ago.

Thanks for replying. It still appears in the reply quoting the original post.

And the purpose of that post was to point out the inappropriate nature of the comment.

This is further dragging the thread off topic. If you still have an issue, contact either myself or one of the other moderators via private message.

My 0.02: I don't particularly like Silver Fox's offering and given what the price is likely to be I'd far rather buy an 08 and either do it myself of pay someone to properly convert it. SF models are a bit too generic and/or incorrect to justify the prices they charge.