Respray question?

Rate this question

Noel

Question

Hi Folks. I am about to attempt my first respray of some old Hornby LMS stainer coaches into CIE black and tan livery. The original coaches are LMS red plastic (i.e. they appear not to be painted except for lining). I've decided on the advice of some wiser and experienced modellers on here to use acrylic paints for spraying rather than enamels. A few questions:

Q1: Should I spray a coat of primer onto the LMS coach bodies first?

Q2: If yes should I use the spray gun and an acrylic primer, or just halfords plastic primer from a spray can?

Q3: Should I remove the existing lining and emblem before priming (i.e. sand paper or brake fluid)?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully they will end up having some sort of resemblance to CIE laminate coaches or at least pass Dave's very sensible 2 ft rule.

This is the type of Hornby coach I am thinking of respraying.

ac0d22a1-b22b-4c1f-beb8-253b7360e933.jpg

8 answers to this question

Hello Noel, I'm an amateur but here's how I'd approach this project.

Q1) yes you should

Q2) I use halfords grey plastic primer and have had no troubles what so ever, I use it straight from the can and it provides a very smooth uniform coat every time, but bare in mind that the colour of the undercoat/primer will affect the shade of the final coat so always check and test that the primer and top coat are going to end up the colour you want.

Q3) I would sand the emblem and lining with probably 1000 grade (or more) sandpaper, just to make sure that nothing shows through.

So there's how I'd tackle this, but perhaps an expert will offer more advice than myself,

Have fun and I hope it goes well,

Nelson

*Jinx Glenderg :P* (<--expert btw :) )

Edited by Dunluce Castle

Q1: Should I spray a coat of primer onto the LMS coach bodies first?

Only if you need a "witness coat" really to identify any further sanding etc, but if you want the belts and braces approach, do. Make sure to leave the primer harden, usually overnight before proceding.

Q2: If yes should I use the spray gun and an acrylic primer, or just halfords plastic primer from a spray can?

WhatEver you have to hand. I've found Halfords to be useless/runny and prefer hycote. Vallejo's acrylic primers are pretty good too. Just leave to harden properly as instructions dictate.

Q3: Should I remove the existing lining and emblem before priming

Yes, with brake fluid initially. The plastic on those coaches will not be affected by it. Sandpaper etc may remove raised detail, but high grade wet and dry (under wet conditions) used gently will also do the trick. If using brake fluid, give them a proper good scrub and dry before priming.

Looking forward to seeing the results. R

*jinx nelson :-P *

Nelson, I and I'm sure many others would consider you an expert and certainly one of the best modellers on here.

Noel,

I'd agree with Nelson's advice for the most part.

Halfords primer is excellent. I use the normal(metal) grey primer on plastic and find it easy to use. I'm sure the plastic primer is grand too.

I'd suggest spraying the model with a light coat of primer. If the lining and crest obviously show through then sand with very fine paper. There is minimal risk of removing detail with fine paper carefully used.

Repeat the priming and then apply your colour. No need to wait over night. A couple of hours will be fine.

Tip: If the paint doesn't smell anymore then it's as dry as it's gonna get!

Hope that helps!

One more question. The Veda WD-186R airbrush has an extra adjustment under the reservoir, does anybody know what it adjusts? I can't find any manual or instructions online.

Thanks

IMG_5289%202.jpg

I think it adjusts the airflow at the nozzle (about 1:42)

http://airbrushtechniquemagazine.com/airbrush/veda-wd-180-airbrush-review/

Hope that helps

Edited by DiveController