Irish trawler dragged by sub

Rate this topic

GSR 800

• 1 year later...
Disgraceful. There should be some mechanism to make the RN pay compensation - and pay very heavily indeed - for such blunders.

They will usually make an ex gratia payment from public funds - suing the Royal Navy / MOD is not for the faint-hearted, non-wealthy or impatient.

If you take the evidence (finally and reluctantly) given to the recent enquiry at face value, then it would seem that they can't even detect when they have actually hit the fishing gear from a civilian vessel and dragged it for some distance, they can't really tell what sort of vessels are in the area and they can't hear trawls - it does make one wonder what success they have in detecting vessels that are actively trying to hide from them?

If you take the evidence (finally and reluctantly) given to the recent enquiry at face value, then it would seem that they can't even detect when they have actually hit the fishing gear from a civilian vessel and dragged it for some distance, they can't really tell what sort of vessels are in the area and they can't hear trawls - it does make one wonder what success they have in detecting vessels that are actively trying to hide from them?

I worked on military projects in the US in the 80s fir a short while. The real life capabilities of military equipment is often far less then we've come to expect from the movies.

I remember my old college professor who was involved in cruise missive research saying " the safest place to be with these missiles is at the intended target. !! "

I worked on military projects in the US in the 80s fir a short while. The real life capabilities of military equipment is often far less then we've come to expect from the movies.

I remember my old college professor who was involved in cruise missive research saying " the safest place to be with these missiles is at the intended target. !! "

I was talking to somebody last night and the conversation drifted onto Wombats, of the Australian variety - though, to me, it meant WOMBAT, Weapon Of Magnesium, Batallion, Anti-Tank. Essentially, a giant Bazooka. The rearward blast when one was fired was a serious "friendly" threat and it was often said that it did more damage where it was fired from than where it came down...

In stony ground, the exhaust could excavate a trench big enough to hide in afterwards and fire the debris from it backwards for some considerable distance and at very high speed - like a giant shotgun.

300px-Wombat_Recoilless_Weapon.JPG

As you say, the quoted technical capacities are often a mix of ideal conditions and wishful thinking.

Didn't they mount something similar on a Willy's jeep? Something like a 37mm calibre jobby? Had a similar effect...

The reason for going all lightweight with the magnesium was so that they could be fitted to Land Rovers, as here in Yemen.

LandySeries2LWBwombatHaugh.jpg

The WOMBAT was 120mm calibre.

Similar devices were made by other countries/manufacturers. This is a captured Argentine device from the Falklands that is a few hundred yards fron my house. I might just be safe from the back-blast.

MPfwskq.jpg

Edited by Broithe
Spelling...

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Broithe said:

The quality of journalism!!!

"A nuclear-powered Royal Navy submarine has been involved in a near-miss with a ferry."

So they collided (ie nearly missed is logically a hit)!!!  The same error is routinely made when the media report close quarter aviation incidents.

• 2 weeks later...