What are you listening to now?.

Rate this topic

Dancing lady we assume?

Listening to a state of Trance ep 580, after piper at the gates of dawn....weird mix.

Ah the Floyd Richie. A man after my own heart. What a history they have had, the Syd Barret era, the Dark Side of The Moon to the Wall. Roger Waters leaving and the legal aftermath. Live 8 in 2005 is one of the gretest moments from the history of popular music when Gilmore, Waters, Wright, and Mason reformed for the show. I am listening to wish you were here at the moment.

Rich,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm listening to my Wharfedale W4s...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4381[/ATTACH]

Look cool Jim, I still can't part with my Mission floor standers. A pal of mine worked with PA's and sound systems for night clubs many years ago and pimped my ones. Listening to Sorrow by Pink Floyd on the pulse album is like getting hit in the chest with a sledge hammer.

Rich, OMS Violator Depech Mode

I'm listening to my Wharfedale W4s...

Liz, that you met at the Crewe exhibition, her father was a hifi dealer... and no, before you start thinking, he only became a hifi dealer after we met - though it didn't harm her continuing prospects... :P

Anywho, where was this really going? I forget now... but there's been a procession of 'interesting' gear through our house over the years, original Quad Electrostatics, the later ESL63s, most of the Quad amp gear before the bizarre remote control stuff, Musical Fidelity amps, many weird and whacky valve amps, Michel Gyrodeck turntables....

Liz has NEVER understood her Father's, or my minor obsession with quality reproduction of sound, until one day...

I rigged up the LP12 turntable, and a reasonable high end CD system and played it through my standard Musical Fidelity E100 amp and Mission 752 floor standers....

First I played Peter Garbriel's 'Don't Give up' - which features Kate Bush, on the CD system...

Liz was sat in the prime spot in front and between the speakers - No reaction....

Next I played exactly the same thing on vinyl - It sounds like they're really in the room with us!!!!

Now she understands ;)

We've been married twenty years.

-Rob

Look cool Jim, I still can't part with my Mission floor standers. A pal of mine worked with PA's and sound systems for night clubs many years ago and pimped my ones. Listening to Sorrow by Pink Floyd on the pulse album is like getting hit in the chest with a sledge hammer.

Rich, OMS Violator Depech Mode

We pretty much the same experience with Deep Purple at the Point about 10 years ago you felt the pressure waves rather than heard the music.

Edited by Mayner

We pretty much the same experience with Deep Purple at the Point about 10 years ago you felt the pressure waves rather than heard the music.

Tell me more John. Ian Paice and Roger Glover, that would have wrestled me to the ground. If Richie Blackmore had been on guitar he would have probably peeled the hair off your skull.

Made in Japan is one of my favorite live albums, highway star is a show stealer and Gillan's vocals on child in time are shuddering. I have a live version of bought and sold by Rory Gallagher and it shakes the walls.

Rich,

• 1 month later...
Played Pink Floyd Wish you were here today,and what a album.I had not heard

it for years.

I also love the album Ultravox brought out last year,the first since 1986,and

a great album it is too,its called" Brillient".

Touché Eamonn, I'm listening to Wish you were here as I type, Welcome to the machine to be precise. I have Obscured by clouds lined up for the next album to get a spin. I saw them in Earls Court in 1994, they opened the second part of the show with a complete from start to finish performance of Dark side of the moon. It was epic.

Rich,

If you remember the Climax Blues Band that had a big hit in the '70s with Couldn't Get It Right, Derek Holt still lives round here and plays the local scene. Every now and then he does his one-man Pink Floyd show and it truly is excellent. Can't find a video of it on YouTube, unfortunately.

Nice chap, for a megastar, not up his own arse at all.

Here he is with his own song - and a load of noisy gits...

Touché Eamonn, I'm listening to Wish you were here as I type, Welcome to the machine to be precise. I have Obscured by clouds lined up for the next album to get a spin. I saw them in Earls Court in 1994, they opened the second part of the show with a complete from start to finish performance of Dark side of the moon. It was epic.

Rich,

Have you heard of "The dark side side of the moog"

by Pete Namlook and Klaus Schulze.About 11 or 12

CDs were made with a Ambient-electro-Dark Ambient

take on "Dark side of the moon.You can hear some of

the albums on YouTube.I love them but might not be

everyone's cup of tea.

I must get my hands on "The Wall" and "The Final cut".

They had an eight-night residency in the Museum of Modern Art in New York a short while back where they played an entire album live each night... what I would've given to be there!

Looking back through here, I found this.

Were you aware that they're doing it again in London next week - http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/music-and-live-performance/kraftwerk-catalogue-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 - all sold out instantly, of course, and they wouldn't let you buy for the whole run, anyway...

There might be returns, though....

Looking back through here, I found this.

Were you aware that they're doing it again in London next week - http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/music-and-live-performance/kraftwerk-catalogue-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 - all sold out instantly, of course, and they wouldn't let you buy for the whole run, anyway...

There might be returns, though....

Tried and failed to get tickets for this. They did it in Dusseldorf recently too.