What are you listening to now?.

Rate this topic

Looking back through here, I found this.

Were you aware that they're doing it again in London next week - http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/music-and-live-performance/kraftwerk-catalogue-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 - all sold out instantly, of course, and they wouldn't let you buy for the whole run, anyway...

There might be returns, though....

Those tickets were like gold dust, unfortunately :(

Have you heard of "The dark side side of the moog"

by Pete Namlook and Klaus Schulze.About 11 or 12

CDs were made with a Ambient-electro-Dark Ambient

take on "Dark side of the moon.You can hear some of

the albums on YouTube.I love them but might not be

everyone's cup of tea.

I must get my hands on "The Wall" and "The Final cut".

TBH Eamonn The Final Cut is really just songs that were rejected from The Wall sessions. The title is very apt as Richard Wright was already gone and Roger Waters left soon after. No tour followed the release of the album. From the last Wall live show in 1981 to the time they reformed for Live 8 in 2005 they hadn't played as a four piece. If you want to listen to a really ground breaking album try Meddle. It was the album that bridged the psychedelic era to the Dark side of the moon. Echos takes up the whole second side of the album and is amazing. I was watching the performance movie from the Gladiator arena ruins in Pompeii the other night and it was magic, I hadn't watched it in a while.

Nick Masons book Inside out is a great read as It tells the story from a band member instead of an outsider. It's very witty in a Monty Python way and sad concerning the end of the Syd Barrett era. There are photos of Syd Barrett with the band in 1969 and David Gilmour had joined then and they were a five piece band for a short time. There are photos of Syd when he showed up in Abbey Road during the recording sessions for Wish you were here in 1974 and it is shocking to see the change, at first no one recognized him. Keith Moon, John Bonham, and Hendrix killed themselves with drink but Syd lost his mind from LSD. He died in 2000 just a shell of a man. The versions of Shine on you crazy diamond and Wish you were here that we know now came from that day.

I haven't heard the version of Dark side from who you mention, I must have a listen to it. I did hear a version of it released with an edition of Q from various artists years ago and it was interesting. The night I saw them in Earls Court there was an intermission after One of these days, after about ten minutes the lights went down and the heart beat started. They played Dark side in it's entirety, it was note perfect.

Rich,

Enniscorthyman,

I've a few of Namlook's pieces, the series he did with Richie Hawtin (Plastikman) and The Fires of Ork with Geir Jenssen (Biosphere), which is mesmeric. Biosphere's stuff too is just brilliant, you ever heard any?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0TpBdPwWjo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B338GYnX4s8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjacfNpitlQ[/url]

The first two are by Manual, the guy's name is Jonas Munk and he's from Odense, Denmark. He plays guitar (very well) and mixes with electronics to such wonderful effect. Always takes me away.

The second two are by the equally talented, and slightly more well known, Ulrich Schnauss from Berlin.

Edited by Blu Bianco
Name correction!

Enniscorthyman,

I've a few of Namlook's pieces, the series he did with Richie Hawtin (Plastikman) and The Fires of Ork with Geir Jenssen (Biosphere), which is mesmeric. Biosphere's stuff too is just brilliant, you ever heard any?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B338GYnX4s8k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0TpBdPwWjo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjacfNpitlQ

The first two are by Manual, the guy's name is Jonas Munk and he's from Odense, Denmark. He plays guitar (very well) and mixes with electronics to such wonderful effect. Always takes me away.

Likewise, is the equally talented, and slightly more well known Ulrich Schnauss from Berlin.

Remember one time listening to 'Summer of Freedom' and 'Neon Reverie' from Manual's excellent 'Azure Vista' album, and also to these tracks, amongst others, by Ulrich Schnauss, while I walked down the banks of the Rhine in Basel. There was a railway line completely accessable next to my right, next to some factories and rolling stock. It seemingly was in use, just not that day, or perhaps very much, who knows. Further on, there were all the old loading bays for coal onto the barges that went down the Rhine. Some were in use now used as oil/petroleum loading bays. When I walked back the scene became greener and then came the cobbled streets and I made my way back up into the old city streets. It was a wonderful mix of the industrial and the green.

The whole experience was certainly made more memorable by these beautiful songs.

Listening to them again now.

Thanks for that,Will check them out.

Thanks for that,Will check them out.

No problem. The Hawtin/Namlook series is called 'From Within' and there were 3 titles in the series. There were 2 titles in the Jenssen/Namlook Fires of Ork.

As for Biosphere, the earlier albums, like 'Microgravity' and 'Patashnik' have beats but its fairly atmospheric, ambient all the same. His later albums 'Substrata', 'Cirque', 'Dropsonde' and 'Shenzhou' are mainly all beatless and just concentrate on ambience, the first two being more arctic sounding, the latter two more organic/classical, but all electronic.

If you like Schulze then hopefully theres something in there for you, especially with the Hawtin stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Granny Bracken was off with her pals saving the cat population of North County Dublin

Free to watch whatever I wanted

So, 2 packs of King Crisps AND a packet of microwave popcorn

Large bottle of Shloer, red currant

A roll of jackspaper in the fridge, just in case of emergencies

Channel 141 (I kid you not)

90 minutes of Jethro Tull live at The Isle of White, 1970 I think

JASUS

Whatever Ian Anderson was on I wish I could give it to some of the crowd here, help them chillax

Now to slip upstairs and see if she has washed the smell of cat piss off..................

• 2 weeks later...
Had a listen last night to Kate Bush "The Kick inside",and

wonderful is all I can say,and my fav-"The man with a child

in his eyes".I suppose Kate Bush voice you either like or hate,

a bit like Lana Del Ray.

Great voice and some fantastic songs Eamonn. I only watched the video for cloud busting the other evening while flicking through the music channels. Donald Sutherland looked young, I must be getting old. I love the contrast of her voice with Peter Gabriel on don't give up. Dave Gilmour from Pink Floyd discovered her when she was sixteen and the rest is history. Excellent choice.

Rich,

• 3 weeks later...
Had a listen last night to Kate Bush "The Kick inside",and

wonderful is all I can say,and my fav-"The man with a child

in his eyes".I suppose Kate Bush voice you either like or hate,

a bit like Lana Del Ray.

I love Kate Bush and the Kick Inside is a great album. Lana Del Rey sounds she's constantly going through her period to me though, nothing but torture in her voice.

So Kraftwerk are playing in Marley Park come summer. Anyone going?

A bit of Prince getting me through work this morning. Behind the pop glitter of the 80s he was a fantastic funk artist.

I love Kate Bush and the Kick Inside is a great album. Lana Del Rey sounds she's constantly going through her period to me though, nothing but torture in her voice.

So Kraftwerk are playing in Marley Park come summer. Anyone going?

A bit of Prince getting me through work this morning. Behind the pop glitter of the 80s he was a fantastic funk artist.

A completely under rated guitar player Fran. I saw him in Cork years ago what a band, musically very tight. It was one of those gigs where everyone danced, all it was missing was Bootsy Collins.

Rich,

Dr Feelgood's live album "Stupidity" from 1976. I got this on cassette when it first came out, later got the LP and recently the CD which has the tracks from the "encore" single which came with the first 20'000 LP's.

Have you heard the bad news about Wilko? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21191938 - he's not going out gently, though....

I hadn't heard. Thats very sad. I saw the band twice, in 79 and 81 but unfortunatly he was no longer with them. Their first three albums are on heavey rotation on the stereo and in the car and are recieving very positive reviews from all who hear them.

I hadn't heard. Thats very sad. I saw the band twice, in 79 and 81 but unfortunatly he was no longer with them. Their first three albums are on heavey rotation on the stereo and in the car and are recieving very positive reviews from all who hear them.

It is sad - but, the interview is very uplifting.

I saw him with his Solid Senders - around '78, I think..

Great bloke.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

His farewell tour has gone down a storm. This is Bilston a few weeks ago.

He's had to cancel the last couple, though - for 'health reasons'...

..seems fair enough.

He was on Later with Jools Holland last year, what a unique guitar player. I was catching up on Game of Thrones over the last few weeks before the new series, he looked every part the executioner. One of Canvey Islands greatest.

Rich,

I agree, DM had a purple patch with Music for the Masses, 101, Violator, Songs of Faith and Devotion. I think the change in direction that the group began to take after the Devotional tour led Alan Wilder to quite the band. Never let me down again is always a high point during their shows. Enjoy the silence is still my favorite music video.

Rich,