Modeller's visit to the Downpatrick & Co Down Railway

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

Well all I can say is a massive thank you to JB for organising a great day out and the DCDR gang for their warm welcome and guidance yesterday. It was a brilliant day out. It was great to meet old and new faces from the site too. Also really encouraging to see a large amount of young volunteers, male and female working hard alongside the older hands in keeping railway preservation in this country running. Some people have questioned if the hobby is dying out, but from what I saw yesterday I can confirm that the preservation side of it is in safe hands for many, many years to come. Well done DCDR and the ITG crew up in Down! :)

Anyway, enough of my waffle, some pics of the day out begin here on my flickr page

A few to whet the appetite

19013202935_bf314bd5da_b.jpgDownpatrick Shed by franburke, on Flickr

19013226835_af0a15dd73_b.jpg1 Downpatrick by franburke, on Flickr

18986944076_d49030e26b_b.jpgYoung Volunteers by franburke, on Flickr

A great pleasure to meet some of our number for the first time, and others again, at the DCDR today.

Hope all concerned enjoyed it.

Thanks JHB for the warm welcome yesterday at DCDR and the access and wealth on information provided throughout the day , there is a book in that alone.

You never cease to amaze me with you wealth of knowledge on all things railway and not just relating to the island of Ireland.

Have to agree with Warbonnet the amount of young talent and their entusiasm shows DCDR is in safe hands for future generations.

Thanks again for a most enjoyable day.

Paul R.

Thanks to JB for organising the visit, and to all at the Downpatrick & County Down Railway for their warm hospitality. It was nice to put faces to names, too. And as the others have said, it's great to see so many young people actively involved.

Thoroughly enjoyed the trip out to Inch Abbey and back behind No. 1, and the visits to the engine shed, carriage gallery, and workshops. The icing on the cake was the cab ride in 146. :cool: